• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

It seems ludicrous that for all intents and purposes it is most likely that by 2020 there won't be any Super Rugby competition in its present iteration with South Africa potentially moving into euro competition.

SANZAAR is basically a second term US President in the last year of office......a lame duck. Don't compromise the future of Australian rugby to appease a body that is heading the way of the Dodo.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think its a little bit rich for Cheika to be crying about losing the Force . Not once in the lead up did we hear a word from him and now he wants to align himself with the hard done bys and distance himself from the ARU incompetents. We were told last week that all of the head coaches had been consulted and agreed that one team should be cut so that Australian Rugby could survive. Sorry Michael, if you didn't back them then, you shouldn't cry about it now.

"Michael Cheika feels for fans after Western Force chopped"

In fairness Cheika reports to the Head of the ARU, his employer, so hard for him to go against what his employer's position is......

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
So who's actually watching super rugby next year ? I've had heaps of tah and reds etc supporters say they are done with super rugby and the Aru

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So who's actually watching super rugby next year ? I've had heaps of tah and reds etc supporters say they are done with super rugby and the Aru

I will Shigs.

All Structural Issues aside: Victorian, and Victorian based (pre-prof) players are coming through the Rebels system and it's a very good feeling to watch them and cheer them on.

And the Kiwi games are too good to miss when the European games are both at poor watching times and not all broadcast on Australian TV.

Even this year I was hardly missing an AUS/NZ game unless I was at the club or at the Rebels game. I don't see that happening again though.

Of Course, as a "foreigner" my allegiance is firmly towards Vic Rugby rather than Aus Rugby.

M

Moono75

People will need to maintain the rage through to February 2018. People will start to forget which is a shame. This ARU caused abomination of a mess needs to be used as the catalyst to reinvent the game in this country with fair representation. Those ARU board members should be blacklisted from any board positions anywhere for good.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I will be watching Super Rugby next year and will continue to be a Waratahs member.

Boycotting rugby is ultimately going to hurt the players in Australia and beyond that our teams the most.

The Executive and board of the ARU will come and go and I can almost guarantee will escape from this debacle with the least impact on their broader reputations and livelihoods.

Whilst everyone wants to take actions that will have repercussions for the board, ultimately it is the players and our teams that will feel the pain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It seems ludicrous that for all intents and purposes it is most likely that by 2020 there won't be any Super Rugby competition in its present iteration with South Africa potentially moving into euro competition.

SANZAAR is basically a second term US President in the last year of office..a lame duck. Don't compromise the future of Australian rugby to appease a body that is heading the way of the Dodo.

The NZRU, ARU and SARU all want Super Rugby to continue - I doubt that it will be gone after 2020.

Done right, it is actually a fantastic product and culling 3 teams is an effort to getting it right. Unfortunately the Force bear the brunt of that (I would have ditched the Rebels) but hopefully, Australian rugby will be strong enough for a 5th franchise in the future.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I will be watching Super Rugby next year and will continue to be a Waratahs member.

Boycotting rugby is ultimately going to hurt the players in Australia and beyond that our teams the most.

The Executive and board of the ARU will come and go and I can almost guarantee will escape from this debacle with the least impact on their broader reputations and livelihoods.

I don't think people will boycott the game out of some personal vendetta against the individuals on the board. They will boycott the game because of disillusionment over their decisions and in many cases to play a part in forcing change. If you are very against the direction of rugby in this country then nothing changes by essentially complying with the decision. Personally I will probably continue to watch some super rugby in whatever form it is in next year, but I won't be going to games or contributing a cent towards the ARU if the Force cut goes through.

There is a lot of latent and casual support for rugby that will come out of the woodwork if and when the game starts delivering for Australians. But for now I believe the ARU is stuffing up the sport, and if the only way to improve things longer term is for the players and teams to take a hit in the short term then so be it. I actually wish the players would flex their muscle more. RUPA have talked a good game but done nothing so far. They have the power to force change quicker than any other group.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The NZRU, ARU and SARU all want Super Rugby to continue

Viewers and rights revenue override all that. While pro rugby of some kind will exist, it's less certain that the format will afford Super Rugby.

It's got a lot of problems.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Viewers and rights revenue override all that. While pro rugby of some kind will exist, it's less certain that the format will afford Super Rugby.

It's got a lot of problems.

Yeah - it does. The way I see it:

NZ wants Super Rugby cos it gives them access to the massively larger market. And we know that it is the best place to develop the next ABs. Part of why we like we like SA
SARU wants it because it's the best place to develop the next Boks. Part of why they they like NZ.
Australia wants it because the NZ games in particular have the best ratings - more popular than local derbies this year I think. And it used to develop the next Wallabies. And like NZ, it probably brings in a lot of TV $$$

The biggest problem has been we've had some really shit teams and unfortunately, a shit conference in Australia this year. Bad results across the board is not good for the game and I just think everyone in SANZAAR has simply said, cut the number of clubs and try get better quality teams.

Hopefully 2018 sees a stronger Australian conference which will help making it a better product.

I'm sure there are other problems but to me - this is the biggest.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Let me ask one question.

Do you think the revenue offered for a future Super deal will go up, or down?

Depends on what happens over the next few years.

Australian teams become competitive again and the comp gets less complicated - who knows.

People just want to see good rugby and know that the teams they support can win on any given game. They will tune in and watch if that happens.

And when they do, the revenue offered will most likely reflect that.

M

Moono75

The NZRU, ARU and SARU all want Super Rugby to continue - I doubt that it will be gone after 2020.

Done right, it is actually a fantastic product and culling 3 teams is an effort to getting it right. Unfortunately the Force bear the brunt of that (I would have ditched the Rebels) but hopefully, Australian rugby will be strong enough for a 5th franchise in the future.

The problem was SA wanting another team and bringing the Jaguars and Sunwolves into the competition which has made it the clusterf@ck it is.

At what point do you say this is a regional competition between SA, AUS & NZ and thats totally fine, it works. Why do these dooshbag rugby administrators take advice from corporate consultants about what would be good for the Super Rugby brand and think they need to turn it into a world wide phenomenon.

You talk about the possibility of a 5th Australian team coming back when Australian rugby is stronger. How is that going to be the case when the Western Force are being culled despite showing WA to be one of the fastest growing junior development regions, producing new players, new Wallabies, growing the game. I'm afraid all that's happening is the ARU is killing the development pathways and future talent pool.

Once the Force, once Western Australia is gone, don't expect us to come back to a cheating mistress like the ARU.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They will tune in and watch if that happens.
Let's hope for the best then.

I think the current full-season format is practically dead.

They might salvage something from it, but it will morph into something significantly shorter.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Let me ask one question.

Do you think the revenue offered for a future Super deal will go up, or down?
Massively down

My understanding is that there is a strong view that this last round of broadcast rights was the high point globally.

In Australia, 10 is in administration. 9 has been firmly told that they overspent on cricket. Ratings are down.

For SuperRugby, it seems materially worse. Ratings and crowds are down.

I also believe South Africa will bugger off to Europe. I know they are talking about splitting into 4 teams in each competition but I can't see how that would make any sense

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The problem was SA wanting another team and bringing the Jaguars and Sunwolves into the competition which has made it the clusterf@ck it is.

At what point do you say this is a regional competition between SA, AUS & NZ and thats totally fine, it works. Why do these dooshbag rugby administrators take advice from corporate consultants about what would be good for the Super Rugby brand and think they need to turn it into a world wide phenomenon.

You talk about the possibility of a 5th Australian team coming back when Australian rugby is stronger. How is that going to be the case when the Western Force are being culled despite showing WA to be one of the fastest growing junior development regions, producing new players, new Wallabies, growing the game. I'm afraid all that's happening is the ARU is killing the development pathways and future talent pool.

Once the Force, once Western Australia is gone, don't expect us to come back to a cheating mistress like the ARU.

Can't argue with how you feel Moono - like I said, I would have axed the Rebels. But I do think that something had to change in the Australian conference.

I understand why the Jaguars and Sunwolves were brought in and why they want to keep them in but who knows if it will payoff. If the Sunwolves become competitive (that seems like a big IF at the moment) it could mean big $$ in the Asian market I'm guessing - but that would be good for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.