• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 IRB Junior World Championship - France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
This use to be the U/20 championship. Why aren't previous winners of the U/21 tournaments recognized?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Question the boys that played for a different team last yeah and will turn out for aus this year when did they come to aus?

I have no problem if they came here at a young age and their rugby was developed by the aus system for them not to make to aus u20 team last year prob due to age and others in front of them why not allow them to play for teams like tonga and samoa to help strenghen those team.

This year they were good enough for the aus team so they play for them..

However i do have a problem if they were brouht over at 16/17 or even worse after their preformace last year at the u20s to make the aus teams better.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Almost exactly that scenario I am concerned about. Tonga play in the so called 2nd league of it. So they will stay there till they get picked of year by year. They, Samoa and Fiji do use a lot of 19 year olds. Its like they are a development team for a certain country and to see who cuts it who don't before cherry picking them. I am sorry but why don't they just make NZ, Samoa and Tonga one country and get it over with. I bet NZ will have a problem then with it.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
All players were rotated through 3 thirds. Conditions were wet and windy. Seemed a little relaxed for a trial match. Due to the high turn over of players and short thirds (25 mins), hard to pick anyone outstanding. Seemed all too easy hence no one requiring to step up. Safe rugby.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Congrats to Perth boy Jordy Pereira from the kalamunda club on being selected to play for samoa u20's.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
who do the boys play in camp this week?

They didn't play anybody - the game against PNG at Bond University was the only trial they could arrange, but they'll have some hit outs against Scotland when they arrive in France.

There is some injury news:

Matt Phillip is not going to recover from his osteitis pubis and will not tour.

Jock Merriman is also injured and will miss the tour. Angus Pulver was at training today today but is injured himself, though not seriously.

CFS won't be released by the Reds but will be available as a shadow player later. I noticed that Reece Hodges was training today.

I'm guessing that, in practical terms, CFS will be available after the Reds R16 match on 1st June, and since they don't play again until 13th July, and the IRB U/20 tournament runs from 5th June until 23rd June, there wouldn't be a problem with slotting him in.

Maybe they will get one of the big props to sit on a backline player at training to damage him, then fly CFS over there.

It works for me.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard a few whispers Kerevi's Visa application didn't go through and has ruled him out of the tournament...going to be a big loss, has been in amazing form this year for GPS Premier Grade.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's a pity because he was probably the most noticeable livewire of all of them yesterday - as much as you can tell from training sessions.

The big inside centre is hard to stop in a tackle yet manages to elude a few of them at the same time.

He was born in Fiji, represented them in U/20s last year but is in Oz now and elected to switch allegiance.

Anybody know when he came to Oz? I know he went to school at BSHS.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
It's a pity because he was probably the most noticeable livewire of all of them yesterday - as much as you can tell from training sessions.

The big inside centre is hard to stop in a tackle yet manages to elude a few of them at the same time.

He was born in Fiji, represented them in U/20s last year but is in Oz now and elected to switch allegiance.

Anybody know when he came to Oz? I know he went to school at BSHS.
Which devision is Fiji playing in now? Think the not playing at JWC might have to do with them switching sides

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Fiji is in the same pool as Australia, Ireland and New Zealand.

There are big communities of Fijian, Tongan and Samoan people living in Oz and NZ and quite a few lads play for the U/20 Islander teams. It doesn't matter where they were born.

Doing this doesn't disqualify them from being Wallabies or All Blacks eligible.

This is important, because in the case of the players that live in Australia, it will be difficult for them to get a Super Rugby gig here, even if they went to school here, and live here — even if they were born here — if they aren't eligible to play for the Wallabies.

Some of them switch to Oz or NZ for the second year of U/20s. They are more likely to be chosen for Oz or NZ when there are older, so why not take a double opportunity for world travel?

Will Skelton is an oddity: he was born in NZ but went to school in Sydney, played Under 20 for Samoa, but is now playing for the Waratahs because playing for Samoa U/20 didn't make him a foreign player.

Honest John

Stan Wickham (3)
If Kerevi is out and CFS is not released that means that there is no recognised 13 in the squad with one week prior to them leaving. Who was silly enough not to check the Fiji lads eligibility leaving it until now to stop the lad going.

Any ideas on other 13s who would be eligable. Tell them to warm up and get their boots shinned.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Bumped into Malie tonight. He's put on some size since last year. Almost didn't recognise him. Looking more like a real hooker.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
CFS will not be starting the tournament but will be available as a shadow player when released by the Reds.

A summary of the changes:

Out: Siotame Kavapalu, Jock Merriman, Matt Phillip (all injured), Samu Kerevi (visa), CFS (Reds.)

In: Pettowa Paraka, Angus Pulver, Ofiu Manukeu-Archibald, Reece Hodge, Lalakai Foketi.

Kerevi's visa was thought be resolved but it hit a snag. He will become a shadow player if it is resolved in time.

No, I probably don't know the answers to the questions you are going to ask either.

Status
Not open for further replies.