• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Actually, I believe shore only had a 3rd VIII for the first time (or for the first time in a long while) for the 2014 hotr, haven't checked every year, however

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Asking questions I don't think is creating drama. I have only ever heard my Newington associates refer to "getting colours".

To clarify for one and all: the term "Colours" is a blanket term covering badges, pockets, honour blazers etc in most private schools. Each school obviously has its own terminology and its own pathway towards receiving your colours.

Some have a strict series of levels such as a meritorious performance in a match as the bottom rank of recognition, followed by making it to a GPS/IGSSA/CAS final (for perhaps a Half-Blue or a Pocket) right through to winning said final which might yield a Full Blue, Honour Blazer or Principal's Citation. Some schools are less structured and allow the students to apply for colours for a variety of reasons, whether long-term commitment to an ensemble or team, or an outstanding achievement such as State selection.

While not all schools' systems are identical, there is a recognisable sameness to it which means it is known colloquially as getting Colours.

Here is an example from Shore school:

A House Colours system is in place to encourage boys to participate to the best of their ability in a broad range of school activities, both compulsory and optional. Points toward the award of House Colours can be accumulated by achieving positive grades for effort in academic work, for participation in school sporting activities and for positive contributions to service commitments and to other extra curricular activities. Recognition of House Colours is in the form of a metal badge that can be worn on the lapel of the School coat or on the tie and also a cloth badge which can be worn on the School blazer.

And from Joeys:

One of the highest accolades a student at St Joseph’s College can receive is the SJC Honour Blazer. Difficult to achieve, the Honour Blazer recognises students in Years 11 or 12 who have made a significant contribution to the life of Joeys and excelled in conduct, performance, achievement and devotion to the College.. The following students have recently been recognised with an Honour Blazer:

Why am I not surprised that Kings has a whole link to outline theirs...... http://www.kings.edu.au/documents/sport/Colours-Guidelines-Revised-130913.pdf

I guess all that glorious TKS history and hierarchy was never going to be summed up in one paragraph.

The only controversy ever seems to be that sportsmen have an advantage in achieving these honours compared with those in other endeavours. Back in the Jurassic period, I myself managed to receive my colours in a sport without demonstrating much in the way of individual excellence, on a team with one of the longest losing streaks in school sport history. Yet genuine, recorded achievements in athletics, music and debating seemed to pass unnoticed, year after year.........still crying on the inside....

Running over old ground for many, I know, but hope this has cleared it up for those uninitiated into the (sometimes painful) world of school colours.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
I think it's safe to say that Shore have put down all the early season criticism with that time of 5:59. Jennings has stuck with his tactics and it seems to be working once again.

Does anyone know what happened to Iggies and Scots?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
DJ will be happily stroking his beard, with Shore's 5 of 6 senior wins.
Would not be surprised if Garry makes some changes between 1st and 2nd IVs. He tends to hold back on the younger guys early in the season and the crews currently are 4 yr 11/12 in 1st IV and 3 yr 10/11 in 2nd IV.

ColonelM

Frank Row (1)
Clearly an interesting set of results from the morning!

Some bizarre times amongst the Shore IVs though, with their 4th IV the fastest of their squad.

Can anyone share details on the conditions throughout the morning? Based off the times alone I'd assume that it swung from a tail to a head breeze, was this the case?

Riverview very competitive in the junior events, this may bode well for the future of View rowing!

And I echo the words of the posts above me that Shore have started with a bang in the eights (and junior eight). A sub 1:23 500m is astounding at this point in the season (I don't know what the wind was doing so I may be mistaken!).

But I would say the IV's are certainly anyone's game at this point in the season!

-M

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Next week will be a much clearer indicator of season form. Not taking anything away from Shore 1st and 2nd VIIIs, they obviously stamped their mark on today and will be looking to dominate from here on; however the Fours are obviously still in a state of flux. There are definitely schools putting very strong rowers (who were in much higher crews last season) into lower divisions of fours. I'll reserve judgment until the crews appear set and formals season is over but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a deliberate psychological manoeuvre.

As for Scots, KT is engaged in some elaborate shadow puppetry which will become clear as the season progresses.

Reactions: LBA

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
As for Scots, KT is engaged in some elaborate shadow puppetry which will become clear as the season progresses.

Allegedly scots 2nd VIII was raced as the first and second four, despite the draw, things do not bode well for them if this is the case, given the result

I think we will find shore eights dominant for a good portion of the season, with it becoming much tighter in the final stages, crews like joeys scots showing some promise in the 1sts, while riverview and kings had a close battle in the seconds.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
As many have said before me. A very interesting set of results with Shore taking first blood in the eights and the majority of the fours with the first four looking to be a showdown between Riverview and Joeys and Shore.

Interesting to see Scots not enter in the 2nd VIII. Anyone have idea why?

Good to see Kings back up there in the 2nd VIII with a solid third place but are lacking a lot of depth in all the other crews.

Interesting to see that the Shore fourth four getting the fastest time equalling with the Joeys first four but i do believe there was a large variation in conditions between races

Bring on The Joeys Regatta this coming weekend. LTR

L

LBA

Liam Robertson quote "I think it's safe to say that Shore have put down all the early season criticism"

Refresh my memory please - I don't ever remember reading early season criticism about Shore?

I think being humble in both victory and defeat is a fine quality and to show good sportsman in any sport should be mandatory. That is my opinion in all things any sport and in life in general.

I heard on the grapevine that Shore put on a warm up display on the pontoon and then blocked a footpath - nothing humble about that behaviour - who wants a nick name of "Show off Shore"

I think we should also be reminded of the story the Hare and the Tortoise story - I would not be getting any trophies engraved just yet.

In any season there is a beginning a middle and an end - granted Shore are off to a good start but it is just that the start - none of the margins cannot be improved on - we are not talking minutes here people we are talking seconds. Also I noticed nobody was eliminated after heats everybody went through to the finals.

Also heard on the grape vine or the morning pontoon no coxswain's were weighed in - so that would also be another contributing factor to boat speed and results. Can somebody please explain that to me ? Two sets of rules? What will happen if AAGPS crews turn up to the PLC/Kings/Rowing NSW Regatta some crews did last year - they will have to comply.

AAGPS sculling trials I also heard were postponed due to bad weather but not many young men turned up to compete anyway had they gone ahead.

Also thank you BTS for explaining "Colours' to me - really appreciated.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Liam Robertson quote "I think it's safe to say that Shore have put down all the early season criticism"

Refresh my memory please - I don't ever remember reading early season criticism about Shore?

I think being humble in both victory and defeat is a fine quality and to show good sportsman in any sport should be mandatory. That is my opinion in all things any sport and in life in general.

I heard on the grapevine that Shore put on a warm up display on the pontoon and then blocked a footpath - nothing humble about that behaviour - who wants a nick name of "Show off Shore"

I think we should also be reminded of the story the Hare and the Tortoise story - I would not be getting any trophies engraved just yet.

In any season there is a beginning a middle and an end - granted Shore are off to a good start but it is just that the start - none of the margins cannot be improved on - we are not talking minutes here people we are talking seconds. Also I noticed nobody was eliminated after heats everybody went through to the finals.

Also heard on the grape vine or the morning pontoon no coxswain's were weighed in - so that would also be another contributing factor to boat speed and results. Can somebody please explain that to me ? Two sets of rules? What will happen if AAGPS crews turn up to the PLC/Kings/Rowing NSW Regatta some crews did last year - they will have to comply.

AAGPS sculling trials I also heard were postponed due to bad weather but not many young men turned up to compete anyway had they gone ahead.

Warming up on a pontoon surely cannot warrant such harsh criticism... sour grapes on that Grapevine LBA?

L

LBA

Yes oarsome I have to agree - when I heard that I did laugh - the wine made out of those grapes would taste very sour.
People take AAGPS Regatta season very seriously - I don't think I made a new friend laughing at the person who said it by the way. I wish I had more time to attend and see what all the fuss is about. I am sure just like any sport there is politics. Drinking wine is on my mind now !!

But what do I know - not very much about anything really. I am still impressed with your colour coding.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)

LBA, a 5:59 is very impressive for the first regatta of the season. I think your a very delusional man or woman or schoolboy if you think that anyone will get even close to touching this Shore crew this year, with 2nd place on the weekend 9 seconds off them. Sure the season has a beginning, middle and an end and i can assure you that Shore will be winning during the beginning, middle and the end.

PS. The early season criticism of Shore referred to the early season chat about Joeys and Scots beating Shore in the first regatta.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, Joeys kicked off with a sub 6 minute race last year too and they dominated so you may be right there however that is just history now.
That boat and the 3rd VIII were their only boats that started strong and dominated the whole season.
Look at how many SJC boats won at HOTR 2015 and its obvious that most of their boats built into the season.

As will all the other crews from all the schools this year.

Blind freddy can see Shore have been busy over the winter to avoid a rerun of last season.
That may explain why their first regatta results were excellent and their rugby results weren't.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
LBA, a 5:59 is very impressive for the first regatta of the season. I think your a very delusional man or woman or schoolboy if you think that anyone will get even close to touching this Shore crew this year, with 2nd place on the weekend 9 seconds off them. Sure the season has a beginning, middle and an end and i can assure you that Shore will be winning during the beginning, middle and the end.

PS. The early season criticism of Shore referred to the early season chat about Joeys and Scots beating Shore in the first regatta.
Indeed 9 seconds is one of the most dominant starts to a season in my recollection. That said, I have also seen glandular fever, broken limbs, broken slides etc topple the seemingly inevitable (not to mention helicopters and blind coxes)!

L

LBA

Not that I really know anything about rowing - but I am sure all the coaches have a plan to ensure that the crews are in the strongest position they can be to compete at the 2016 AAGPS HOR.

If we were discussing the production of a play or the making of a movie there would be many different types of rehearsals. Light and sound, make up and costumes, singing lessons etc.. Until the opening night when all the hours of work in many areas come together. The same could be said for rowing - starts, coxswains play a critical role, technique, the actual race plan - all these facets and many more contribute to improving boat speed. All these things can be improved over time and with training.

I do feel very confident that every GPS coach and support crew have a plan. I am sure that every rower would like to think they will improve as well. Healthy competition is great and that is what this season holds for everyone. Room for improvement - if you keep coming last all year but improve your times and feel part of a crew that is priceless. If everyone was discouraged and did not turn up the whole thing would fall apart.

All jockeys have to comply with weight rules so that nobody has an unfair advantage so why not AAGPS coxswains ? The weight in the boat impacts on boat speed. Or have I got that wrong as well ?? Not to mention safety.

I have noticed that Christmas drinks are being organised - not sure if the Rowing Forum drinks would be something I would attend I would have to wear a flak jacket or full body armour :):):)

Have a great week everybody.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
All jockeys have to comply with weight rules so that nobody so why not AAGPS coxswains ? The weight in the boat impacts on boat speed. Or have I got that wrong as well ?? Not to mention safety.

I have noticed that Christmas drinks are being organised - not sure if the Rowing Forum drinks would be something I would attend I would have to wear a flak jacket or full body armour :):):)

Would be unusual if coxswain were not carrying their usual extra weights if required. That said, we are probably only talking about couple of kgs, which should not make a meaningful difference to boat speed.

The Xmas drinks are open to all members of the GAGR website. Not many from this forum, however, will attend as they are probably on a strict training regime being mid-season. :cool:

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
AAGPS races (excluding HOTR) - coxswains do not have to weigh in
RNSW races - Boats are DQ'd on the start line for not weighing in, weight is 50kg.
HOTR - 55kg minimum weight
Now, according to (http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_files/2009RowBiomNews.pdf), every kg per rower (so 8kg of coxswain) is worth roughly 0.7s over a 6minute 2k, meaning it had no effect on shore's 5:59.

Can I also comment on the poor sportsmanship of scots, as soon as something goes wrong (a rower fell off his seat in the heat), their coach told them from the bank to row light, and they cruised down the course low rate. The boys from bellevue hill cant bear to lose on anybody else's terms as it seems.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
AAGPS races (excluding HOTR) - coxswains do not have to weigh in
RNSW races - Boats are DQ'd on the start line for not weighing in, weight is 50kg.
HOTR - 55kg minimum weight
Now, according to (http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_files/2009RowBiomNews.pdf), every kg per rower (so 8kg of coxswain) is worth roughly 0.7s over a 6minute 2k, meaning it had no effect on shore's 5:59.

Can I also comment on the poor sportsmanship of scots, as soon as something goes wrong (a rower fell off his seat in the heat), their coach told them from the bank to row light, and they cruised down the course low rate. The boys from bellevue hill cant bear to lose on anybody else's terms as it seems.

Yes i agree with your comment about Scots, trying to get a restart because someone falls of their seat (Shore 2nd VIII 2012) and i do believe the breakage rule has now been abolished.

May i also comment on how their 2nd VIII didn't enter as well. Now there may be a valid reason for scratching such as sickness or injury but it would not surprise me if they were over at the Nepean training instead of racing.

LTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.