• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
This constant talk about how hard scots are training throughout the winter and how hard they are being worked by this infamous KT is a reoccurring theme throughout he past few years. Judging by results over the past 40 years and the previous years, this is either false and just a couple of parents trying to blow some wind into the helpless sails of scots rowing.

Silver Oar, you take my gently ironic post rather too literally. In my several years following this forum, I've never seen anyone talking up the Scots program except KT himself. I admit I tipped Scots once, based on form (and suspected budget) but as for being a rowing parent there....or anywhere.....nothing could be further from the truth.

The Real Big Dog

Frank Row (1)
This "infamous KT" i think started life out in the GPS coaching the Joeys 2nd VIII to victory in 2013 and continued for the 2014 season loosing out in that tight finish in the 2nd VIII against Shore. I have heard from a reliable source that he was set to continue at Joeys for a third year for the 2015 season but went to Scots for whatever reason (probably $) and then coached the Scots 2nd VIII to win in 2015. Ive never really liked the idea of coaches as being guns for hire, i think it is much more beneficial if the coaches are teaching at the school at the same time to form a better bond with the boys especially in the senior years.

Heads up mate. Not only has this 'KT' climbed his way up through the ranks of the Scots rowing community, rumour is that he is making fast movements through the teaching department there too, after his debut in 2015 when first adapting himself into the college environment. Recent polls have also presented a high number of votes in favour of this figure attaining the prestigious 'teacher of the year' award presented at the end of the year. Thus emphasising his work in all areas of the college especially within the classroom, reportedly controlling multiple classes in a variety of subjects.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Heads up mate. Not only has this 'KT' climbed his way up through the ranks of the Scots rowing community, rumour is that he is making fast movements through the teaching department there too, after his debut in 2015 when first adapting himself into the college environment. Recent polls have also presented a high number of votes in favour of this figure attaining the prestigious 'teacher of the year' award presented at the end of the year. Thus emphasising his work in all areas of the college especially within the classroom, reportedly controlling multiple classes in a variety of subjects.

You seem to be very enlightened on the subject of scots through the detail of your reply. I imagine then he is employed as PDHPE teacher at Scots and while he may very well be a good teacher his main role would be in the rowing program. It will be interesting to see how Scots go this year after a pretty poor season last year.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Newington 1st VIII pulled a 6:20 today
For reference, the SRC VIII with two Rio olympians and two world uni games medalists on board went 6:09 5 minutes later - So I'm assuming a bit of a headwind. Anyone out there want to say what it was like?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
For reference, the SRC VIII with two Rio olympians and two world uni games medalists on board went 6:09 5 minutes later - So I'm assuming a bit of a headwind. Anyone out there want to say what it was like?

Glassy in the morning, a bit windy in the afternoon but nothing to speak of really.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)

Interesting stuff. It didn't occur to me that crews would enter in the Spring Regatta but there you go. Interesting to see what would probably be the Newington 2nd VIII in that race as well on top of what we would assume is their 1st Year 10 VIII.
I heard there was a lot of crews out on the Parramatta river this morning, all preparing for 4 weeks time and the Head of the Parramatta in 3 weeks. Who are our predictions for who is going to enter in the HOTP?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Did anyone see the Newington 8 out yesterday? Looks like the program there has made some changes.

Can you elaborate on that?

Lots of eights out training at the moment and all presumably incorporating new seniors (current Year 10s proceeding to Year 11), so what changes did you see apart from a lot of new faces in the boats?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
More interesting was the boat race this morning. Tough conditions, great strategic racing and excellent informative commentary.

Two aspects to note:

*despite the fact that the Victorian schoolboy crews have dominated Nationals and even NSW Champs in the last few years, when it comes to the annual uni race SUBC is emphatically superior.

*in the past, some have lamented on this forum that GPS rowers do not continue rowing in any significant numbers beyond school; I think the composition of today's men's crews, not to mention the ex-GPS rowers featuring in Rio and Rotterdam, really put that myth to bed for good.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Truly a lot of boys come out of the GPS system and continue, namely from Shore, Kings, and more recently from Joeys

The sentiment you make note of, however, is that it is a shame that rowing does not keep a larger number of boys on after school, as other sports may. Maybe one or two boys from a First Eight will continue rowing, whereas most boys competing in a First XV will continue and play colts.
Imagine the club environment in Sydney if the majority of GPS boys would continue rowing?

True to an extent. Maybe it's because the season finishes so early in the HSC year, often followed by a gap year; come March of your first uni semester it's just all so long ago? I still think there's more of them out there than has been acknowledged. Plenty of familiar names at club regattas as well as at elite level.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
A few Scots scullers entered in the NSWIS TT 2 for Saturday on the Nepean. I assume that this would make up their 2nd VIII as their 1st VIII would be in the GPS Sculling time trials also being held tomorrow. Strange decision seeing as we are only 2 weeks away from racing and i would of thought that every second rowing in the VIII would be most beneficial. We have also got the Junior Head of the Parramatta on tomorrow although i don't think many schools will enter in it as it is the shorter course and they often value training over it.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
So far I've only heard that the sounds of boys vomiting echoed long and loud off the SIRC shed walls this morning; whether it was nervous pre-trial spews or exertion-induced hurls remains to be confirmed.

Any results yet from the sculling regatta? Will is be another dominant display by the Shore scullers as it was last year where they managed to have the top 4 fastest in the GPS? This result will be a good indicator at where each school is in terms of racing ability and race fitness. Any results posted would be greatly appreciated cheers.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
GPS 8 this year will have 4 shore boys, 2 newington boys and 2 joeys boys

Are you reporting or predicting?

I can guess the two Joeys and the Shore inclusions, but wouldn't know of the New boys. Really no-one from View who might make the cut? Nor any dark horses from Scots or Grammar? I thought the field might be more open this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.