• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely weight and a higher than normal stroke weight would be more important than height in a headwind ? Height is often overestimated and does not necessarily translate into stroke length as the tallest rowers can have tight hamstring and row short strokes. However granted they have more potential but at GPS level does it necessarily equal boat speed ?

To an extent I do agree, but if we are taking a look at the heights of the past five years winners at the AAGPS HOTR regatta there is a clear positive correlation between height and the time taken to win the race.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely weight and a higher than normal stroke weight would be more important than height in a headwind ? Height is often overestimated and does not necessarily translate into stroke length as the tallest rowers can have tight hamstring and row short strokes. However granted they have more potential but at GPS level does it necessarily equal boat speed ?

L Hudsen, If you wouldn't mind I would like to hear about your personal rowing background?

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
To an extent I do agree, but if we are taking a look at the heights of the past five years winners at the AAGPS HOTR regatta there is a clear positive correlation between height and the time taken to win the race.

I would be interested to see you graph this correlation and perhaps include the winning time of each year.

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
What are everyone's thoughts on the results regarding the boat heading to Rotterdam later this year for the World Juniors. I do have my doubts about the IV consisting of three ex St Josephs and one Sydney Grammer rower. The crew not even making Australian qualifying time. Not expecting any big results...

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
What are everyone's thoughts on the results regarding the boat heading to Rotterdam later this year for the World Juniors. I do have my doubts about the IV consisting of three ex St Josephs and one Sydney Grammer rower. The crew not even making Australian qualifying time. Not expecting any big results.
Wish them all the best but its a tough gig out there taking on the world's best.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
What are everyone's thoughts on the results regarding the boat heading to Rotterdam later this year for the World Juniors. I do have my doubts about the IV consisting of three ex St Josephs and one Sydney Grammer rower. The crew not even making Australian qualifying time. Not expecting any big results.

The four look very tidy from what i've seen, and are all good rowers themselves, they qualified as a 4- I believe, but didnt make the time when rowing as a 4+, perhaps they were put here as it is a less competitive boat class?
I have no doubt the quad will do well, the video posted by Sydney Rowing Club is impressive, and are all very talented rowers

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)

Can you link us the times? so that any discussion is informed discussion. My understanding is that most of the crew is still in year 12. For comparison, I'd also like to see the times for equivalent crews which have qualified in other countries

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
they qualified as a 4- I believe, but didnt make the time when rowing as a 4+, perhaps they were put here as it is a less competitive boat class?

Seems unlikely that they qualified at 6.03 without a cox but then didn't manage 6.20 with a cox?

I became intrigued by this and went back a ways to find results for this elusive and apparently controversial crew. At reindeer regatta they pulled a 6.38 but by SIRR they had shaved off 16 seconds to win in 6.22. Seems they were pretty close to the qualifying time and may have been invited to continue with training camp and Trial #2 to see if the improvement continues?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 6.53.59 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 6.53.59 pm.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 220

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
You have shown the U23 times. The junior targets are on the RA website. The boys tried as a coxless four first and werent fast enough and then tried as a coxed four and did 6:31, while the standard was 6:30. The selectors 'adjusted' the time down one second for a slight head and they were selected. The quad initially weren't selected as they werent deemed fast enough even though they did 6:04 at the trials when the standard was 6:05. They appealled and were then selected. The times and results arent posted anywhere unfortunately.
For difference in qualifying times for the coxed and coxless events was 19 seconds, meaning that the coxless event was relatively faster as a cox would make about 9-10 seconds difference.

That's high quality info for this thread! and yes, I had wrongly assumed U23 times. So only one second the difference - how come other crews selected haven't received this much attention?

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes, the Scots and SBHS boys trained in different groups with different coaches, with the Scots boys in distinct Scots clothing. It would be interesting to quantify how many GPS rowers are training out of the various clubs at the moment. For instance, I hear there are a number of Shore rowers (10+) training out of Mosman.

That's interesting to hear, seeing Shore's close affiliation with SRC over the winter. I'm sure JB would be guttered to hear this news. I do question the standard of quality coached at Mosman in comparison to SRC. However, at least the preparation is 'ramping up' as we veer closer to another GPS season.

Great to see St Joseph's crush Riverview's ambitions last weekend. Let's hope they continue this into the summer season.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
You have shown the U23 times. The junior targets are on the RA website. The boys tried as a coxless four first and werent fast enough and then tried as a coxed four and did 6:31, while the standard was 6:30. The selectors 'adjusted' the time down one second for a slight head and they were selected. The quad initially weren't selected as they werent deemed fast enough even though they did 6:04 at the trials when the standard was 6:05. They appealled and were then selected. The times and results arent posted anywhere unfortunately.
For difference in qualifying times for the coxed and coxless events was 19 seconds, meaning that the coxless event was relatively faster as a cox would make about 9-10 seconds difference.

I think the pdf files of the junior/u21/u23 times were posted on the rowing victoria website if you look for it. There might be a link on last years thread - I think that's where i got it from

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lets face it though, SRC is a landslide ahead of other clubs in terms of its nationals results (although they do make a ridiculous number of entries)

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi Guys,
Driving past the end of Hen and Chicken today and witnessed a crew 'possibly Scots' doing taps. Almost rear ended a car looking at this. Any other news from around Sydney?

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hi Guys,
Driving past the end of Hen and Chicken today and witnessed a crew 'possibly Scots' doing taps. Almost rear ended a car looking at this. Any other news from around Sydney?

Happens every year on this forum because scots are the only school with empachers, it would be Sydney Rowing Club, thames challenge cup for Henley next week.
They do have a number of ex-gps rowers however

Status
Not open for further replies.