• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Day 3 at Henley and Scotch beat St Paul school in a well fought race in what the commentator calls the best of schoolboy rowing in the world.

Great stuff from the Scotch boys!

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Scotch hold off all comers to win the final at Henley in emphatic style. Amazingly and despite their significant size advantage over the UK crews, there was a 15yo and other young men in that boat.
Going to be hard to see Scotch beaten for a few years at least.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

Scotch hold off all comers to win the final at Henley in emphatic style. Amazingly and despite their significant size advantage over the UK crews, there was a 15yo and other young men in that boat.
Going to be hard to see Scotch beaten for a few years at least.

Interesting observations by commentators on seasons - sounded like the UK schools are year round rowers (albeit the Radley boys do have a golf course on campus that could be a bit of a distraction).
I thought the Radley crew had cleaner blade work although they looked to be rowing short.
Scotch not helped by a somewhat erratic coxswain wondering around a bit (or maybe he did a wonderful job considering the power of the 6 man).

Italian Feather

Frank Row (1)
I know I'm new so I've gone and caught up on the previous thoughts.
In terms of past comments on this thread, i think boys who wish to row all year round won't become 'bored' by March. I think in a lot of the GPS sheds the culture of the shed makes a big difference, and if sheds contain boys who are passionate about the sport and willingness to perform well during the season, giving them opportunities to do so will not only reward them but the rest of the program for the season. If you look at Shore in all crews in the past years where they have dominated crews have changed very little throughout the year because the boys fighting for the top spots have more likely been training pre-season. I think just like any other sport, there is nothing wrong with training all year round for something.

Additionally, I'd be interested to see how many rowers are returning in each school from last seasons 1,2 VIII's and 1,2 IV's. Although many judge form for the coming season of off Junior VIII's, boys returning from the top 4 crews additionally make a big difference as they set the tone of the culture throughout the shed for the younger members.

Just trying to spark some chat and see people's opinions on some topics.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
The average lifespan for a 1st VIII coach doesn't seem that long these days. There have been a couple of coaches in the past that have done 20+ years. Of the current GPS coaches, I think the longest serving current coaches would be Shore and Grammar (@10 years)? The rest are only averaging a few years at a time. Have there been any other schools change 1st VIII coaches from last season?

Depends on how much success you have

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
SBRow. You love to throw grenades without elaboration. I think the moderator needs to look at your posts. You behave like a typical keyboard warrior. Stump up with evidence or stop posting.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
With the exception of S&J, seems like every school seems to have the same start of season feeling to it each year..
Best time of the year. Rugger over end of school approaching and the weather warming up.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Good results from Newington in the NSWIS TT1 last weekend, they are entering eights and singles at spring regatta, will be interesting

Heard on the grapevine that a legendary old coach/rower from North Shore has joined the exodus from SJC and is now giving KT a hand at New. That explains the fresh approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.