• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Just back from St Laurences v Ashgrove ... very ordinary game and SLC must be kicking themselves. They had the better of the game and wasted several opportunities. The SLC 5 dropped the ball over the line (though he did have a fine game) and a few other chances went begging. Ashgrove probably had two opportunites and scored 2 tries! For SLC 12 was strong, the half was handy and the forwards are workmanlike (but no more than that really). In spite of this they had probably 60% of possession and the better of field position.
For Ashgrove 7 was hard working, the 10 is useful and not much else. I'd go as far as to say it was probably one of the most inept Ashgrove teams I have ever seen. They seemed very pedestrian. eg they lost their first 4 lineouts on their throw, the first 2 scrums on their put in and so on. I have never seen such a poor Ashgrove backline - terrible kicking and no real pace (their wingers were very poor, I can see why St Peters dominated them out wide). The backline seemed very poorly coached with no precision or penetration. It seems the halfback (and captain) is one of the coach's sons .... that must be the only reason he is in the team as he is a real weakness.
I think St Edmunds will put at least 30 points on this Ashgrove team .... I am amazed how much Ashgrove has slipped ... so good for the rest of us!!

P

pick and go

Just back from St Laurences v Ashgrove ... very ordinary game and SLC must be kicking themselves. They had the better of the game and wasted several opportunities. The SLC 5 dropped the ball over the line (though he did have a fine game) and a few other chances went begging. Ashgrove probably had two opportunites and scored 2 tries! For SLC 12 was strong, the half was handy and the forwards are workmanlike (but no more than that really). In spite of this they had probably 60% of possession and the better of field position.
For Ashgrove 7 was hard working, the 10 is useful and not much else. I'd go as far as to say it was probably one of the most inept Ashgrove teams I have ever seen. They seemed very pedestrian. eg they lost their first 4 lineouts on their throw, the first 2 scrums on their put in and so on. I have never seen such a poor Ashgrove backline - terrible kicking and no real pace (their wingers were very poor, I can see why St Peters dominated them out wide). The backline seemed very poorly coached with no precision or penetration. It seems the halfback (and captain) is one of the coach's sons .... that must be the only reason he is in the team as he is a real weakness.
I think St Edmunds will put at least 30 points on this Ashgrove team .... I am amazed how much Ashgrove has slipped ... so good for the rest of us!!
good analysis of the game, but harsh on the ashgrove team i would say. There back line is currently hit with injury as Josh ryan the 15 was out, tevita maka 13 was out and Dean Van Heteran was unavailable to them. I must say the ashgrove forwards defended well but there discipline was average today. It will be a good game against eddies as Maka, Ryan and Van heteran will be back for them. Expect them to be firing for next week

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
good analysis of the game, but harsh on the ashgrove team i would say. There back line is currently hit with injury as Josh ryan the 15 was out, tevita maka 13 was out and Dean Van Heteran was unavailable to them. I must say the ashgrove forwards defended well but there discipline was average today. It will be a good game against eddies as Maka, Ryan and Van heteran will be back for them. Expect them to be firing for next week

Maybe a bit harsh however I don't know of injuries and so on, I am just calling it as I see it. I guess I am just used to seeing the Ashgrove teams from about 1997 to 2006 and most of those teams would have thrashed the Ashgrove team I saw yesterday (and St Laurences too).

Grubber

Frank Row (1)
Have to agree with Pick and Go, harsh comments, especially '10 is useful and not much else' - for someone playing out of position he shows huge integrity for putting school before self - hoping Ashgrove can come up with a big win this Saturday v Eddies and silence some their crunching critics.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Well said, will be interesting to see how Ashgrove goes next weekend.

R

Ruggers101

News out of the villa camp is that Brayden Torpy has broken his arm?? Can anyone confirm this? If so he is a big loss for Villanova

Maxy

Peter Burge (5)
Eddies 36 d St Pats 31. Interesting result. Looks like loyalty to the league tournament over school almost derailed AIC championship aspirations. Thoughts?

M

michael Simon

St Peters Fullback, Moses Rambi broke his ankle against padua. Can anyone confirm this ? if so than it is a big lose for peters.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
News out of the villa camp is that Brayden Torpy has broken his arm?? Can anyone confirm this? If so he is a big loss for Villanova

If this is true it would be a devastating loss. They clearly missed him yesterday against a far bigger center pairing.

3DD!3$01D80Y

Eddies 36 d St Pats 31. Interesting result. Looks like loyalty to the league tournament over school almost derailed AIC championship aspirations. Thoughts?
The referee was very stupid in his decisions! At one time there was 2 players off for Eddies because of offside infringements. One being the flanker/number eight and the other being the scrum-half. I despise the referee because he didn't even say to the 2 players from Eddies that they were offside, and 2 yellow cards for being offside, is that really necessary? Lachlan Roe and Rory Humphries played awesome. Even though the referee was making stupid decisions St Pat's came out with a roaring crowd to support them, being Old boys day for Pats.

R

Roll Away Black 7

best for Peters were; no.1 - upped his work rate for the first time this season, made some big runs. no. 2 - threw really well and made some barnstorming runs in the 2nd half, looks a promising talent. no.11 - has turned into quite the finisher, grabbed 2 tries again today, think peters need to use him more effectively, didnt touch the ball in the 2nd half.

best for Padua; no .2 - worked hard all day. no. 9 - pulled off a try saver which injured the peters fullback. The Padua pack was huge but too predictable.

The Peters number 1 against Padua is not the regular number 1. And he is Caucasian ! Nice of you to notice !

stevet

Stan Wickham (3)
Not even 16 v 13 could overcome the side from Eddies. If the bias was any more blatant the man in the middle would have been throwing the pass for a green and gold try. The boys from Ipswich should hold their heads high any other side in the comp would have folded under those conditions but not the boys in blue and white they held out the home side for a fantastic win given the conditions of play. And just a side note isn't it the right of the victorious side to sing their school song at the conclusion of the game? Apparently not at Pats home ground as they gathered in front of their supporters and belted out their song immediately following the game in a display of poor sportsmanship but the only thing that surprised me was that the men in grey weren't leading the vocals

P

pick and go

Did eddies have a full strength team playing against pats? Or were they missing players with the league carnival?

Browndog

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm passionate about Eddies however I enjoy seeing an underdog do well, so take nothing away from Pats and their supporters. I don't think Pats did Ashgrove any favors though, good wake up call. Of all the kids from Eddies who went to the league state titles that played on Saturday, only one made Qld schoolboys - Humphreys, who played his heart out. The ref was an interesting character, who come out with a bee in his bonnet after a half time spray that was probably more antagonizing than it was advisory and crucified Eddies. The boys are only human, they weathered a storm, maintained composure and came away with a character building win and a lesson in humility. As far as league goes, well, it's a double edged sword that Eddies has wielded for a long time.

stevet

Stan Wickham (3)
Did eddies have a full strength team playing against pats? Or were they missing players with the league carnival?
They were at full strength apart from players out injured, all the boys that went to the league carnival traveled back to play so they were at full strength but maybe not peak condition.

C

crutchbind

Mate give ashgrove credit were credit is due. The ashgrove team defended there line courageously for a good 10 minutes and SLC just weren't good enough to break the ashgrove line. Ashgrove players should hold there heads high, getting the win with limited oppurtunities.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Don’t know how bad the injury to Rambi (Peters 15) is, but it will be a massive blow if he is out for the season. Padua forwards were very large but thats about it. The usual 14 had pneumonia, the 12 was at the League carnival and the 1 was also out, not sure why. Pretty average spectacle, with SPLC forwards dominating in the second half resulting in the win. The 9 had easily his best games of the season. Looks like they have good depth in the forwards, with a few subs and fill ins really holding their own. News about the 15 will be important regarding this teams ability to match it with Eddies, who I think are still deserved favourites.

U

UselessWinger

Not even 16 v 13 could overcome the side from Eddies. If the bias was any more blatant the man in the middle would have been throwing the pass for a green and gold try. The boys from Ipswich should hold their heads high any other side in the comp would have folded under those conditions but not the boys in blue and white they held out the home side for a fantastic win given the conditions of play. And just a side note isn't it the right of the victorious side to sing their school song at the conclusion of the game? Apparently not at Pats home ground as they gathered in front of their supporters and belted out their song immediately following the game in a display of poor sportsmanship but the only thing that surprised me was that the men in grey weren't leading the vocals

How is singing the school song in any way unsportsmanlike? It was Back to Shorncliffe Day, the last home game for those First XV boys (excluding the Year 11s) they will ever play, isn't it right and just that they sing the school song to show their pride in their college and thank the supporters for their years of support and for the supporters to also thank the players in return. Regardless of opinions on whether the ref was bias/bad or whatever, it was a galiant effort on behalf of both teams nonetheless and both have the right to belt out their school song with as much pride and passion as they wish. I'm sure if it was your last home game as a First XV player and you lost you would want to join with your brothers in singing your school song with pride. Be humble in your win and don't criticise other schools for simply being proud of themselves and their schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.