• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry36d

Stan Wickham (3)
I hear Marist has players who were in teams lower than the 3rd XV last year are in the firsts and seconds train on squad. This is a good sign for St Peters and Iona.

Means nothing, at Ashgrove if players want to train with the squad they can regardless of ability. Unless its a risk to there safety haha. In turn it helps with the depth, which is noticeable.

Source - close friends at MCA i. Previous years.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Means nothing, at Ashgrove if players want to train with the squad they can regardless of ability. Unless its a risk to there safety haha. In turn it helps with the depth, which is noticeable.

Source - close friends at MCA i. Previous years.
This is the official 1st and 2nds trial squad which includes their bignames.

James Lewis

Bob McCowan (2)
I usually watch GPS school fixtures, but a friend has a son playing for Ashgrove, so I went along to Ballymore this afternoon and watched a First XV trial between Marist College Ashgove and Downlands College.

Downlands won the fixture 44 to 17 and got better and better as the game progressed. They should have posted another 3 or 4 tries in the first half but a faultering lineout let them down.

Downlands had some serious pace out wide and their half back was exceptional (I sure he will be one to watch for rep honours this year). Their flyhalf in the first half had a great kicking game, but you could see that the backline timing was out in this first trial.

I thought that Marist College were very one dimensional. They scored two tries late in the first half, both as a result of errors from the Downlands right winger. However, Marist relied heavily on the pick and drive. When the Downlands forwards commenced shutting this down they had few other options and went backwards. Marist kicked poorly and their centres struggled and couldn't get over the advantage line most of the time.

It was a first trial for both teams, and both sets of coaches will go home with pleanty to work on.

aicaicaic

Frank Row (1)
I usually watch GPS school fixtures, but a friend has a son playing for Ashgrove, so I went along to Ballymore this afternoon and watched a First XV trial between Marist College Ashgove and Downlands College.

Downlands won the fixture 44 to 17 and got better and better as the game progressed. They should have posted another 3 or 4 tries in the first half but a faultering lineout let them down.

Downlands had some serious pace out wide and their half back was exceptional (I sure he will be one to watch for rep honours this year). Their flyhalf in the first half had a great kicking game, but you could see that the backline timing was out in this first trial.

I thought that Marist College were very one dimensional. They scored two tries late in the first half, both as a result of errors from the Downlands right winger. However, Marist relied heavily on the pick and drive. When the Downlands forwards commenced shutting this down they had few other options and went backwards. Marist kicked poorly and their centres struggled and couldn't get over the advantage line most of the time.

It was a first trial for both teams, and both sets of coaches will go home with pleanty to work on.

marist 1st XV played the first half and went into half time up by two tries i believe. at half time marist put their seconds on which is when downlands ran over them. exciting game to watch.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
marist 1st XV played the first half and went into half time up by two tries i believe. at half time marist put their seconds on which is when downlands ran over them. exciting game to watch.
Yes that is true, the first outplayed downlands in the first half. The seconds team was made up of many U16 players also. The Marist coaches treated it as a trial and had many players run on in the second half. However it is true the Marist first has slow wingers. Their full back also seems to have no speed and plays more like a forward. Their fly half, inside centre and outside center were tremendous in both attack and crushing defense. The coaching at ashgrove needs to improve the speed of the wingers because I could easily see players like bennet, aiden and ennoch from st peters easily running past them.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Ashgrove 1st XV 2013 (Possibly):

1.Will Burke (Captain)
2. Fred Williams
3. Jack McMahon
4. James Shanahan
5. Ted Markowski
6. Donaldson
7. Jack Jervis
8. Declan Cox (repeating)
9. Jack Meehan
10. Andrew Benson
11. Nopia Mapleston
12. Sam Jia
13. Jennison
14. Tristan Yamashita
15. Leon Cox

tripod

Stan Wickham (3)

It was a good trial game. Marist have got most of their 1st XV selection right, as they proved when they played in the first half as apposed to their seconds in the second half. Downlands have some good natural talent within the team who could definately improve if they got some decent coaching.

bigpapaG

Frank Nicholson (4)
I heard this morning Iona's 1st Hooker Carter Ozanne has been picked up by State High? if so a great asset to the GPS Competition

bigpapaG

Frank Nicholson (4)
^This is incorrect. He is firmly cemented at Iona College and will be playing tight head this year.
I believe that he will be the first ever schoolboy to play 1st XV in two different competitions in one year. Playing the AIC competition in term 2 and then the GPS competition in term 3. What a great debate who will he play for AIC or GPS. He is nearly a certainty to wear the number 2 jersey for Queensland schoolboys 2013 and no doubt in the mix for the Europe tour. Hopefully he hasn't booked schoolies yet.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I believe that he will be the first ever schoolboy to play 1st XV in two different competitions in one year. Playing the AIC competition in term 2 and then the GPS competition in term 3. What a great debate who will he play for AIC or GPS. He is nearly a certainty to wear the number 2 jersey for Queensland schoolboys 2013 and no doubt in the mix for the Europe tour. Hopefully he hasn't booked schoolies yet.
Makes no sense at all. why would you leave half way in your final year to go to State High????.
And Carter must have made some huge improvements in his game over the off season, cause from what I saw of him last season he will struggle to make AIC 2.

bigpapaG

Frank Nicholson (4)
Makes no sense at all. why would you leave half way in your final year to go to State High????.
And Carter must have made some huge improvements in his game over the off season, cause from what I saw of him last season he will struggle to make AIC 2.
Apparently thats what he is doing!... Wouldn't be suprised if i see him down at BSHS training this arfternoon.

Last week we did the beep test and he scored a 15.4?! On top of that he was benching 100+

All i know is he is dedicated... IT should pay off if he gets 2 opportunities to play rugby this year being in GPS and AIC.

Wish the guy luck, he has a target on his back.

keeping it real

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes that is true, the first outplayed downlands in the first half. The seconds team was made up of many U16 players also. The Marist coaches treated it as a trial and had many players run on in the second half. However it is true the Marist first has slow wingers. Their full back also seems to have no speed and plays more like a forward. Their fly half, inside centre and outside center were tremendous in both attack and crushing defense. The coaching at ashgrove needs to improve the speed of the wingers because I could easily see players like bennet, aiden and ennoch from st peters easily running past them.
Not sure what game you were watching. The inside centre for Ashgrove was shortened up by the inside centre for Downlands and never did a thing from that point on. And this from a Ashgrove supporter.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Peters trialled against Padua last week. From what I heard both sides well understrength. Halfback Sorovi (Qld U16 last year) went well. St Peters looked good from broken play and out wide, Padua made some ground through the forwards. SPLC finished a try or two ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.