• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Creature

Frank Row (1)
The U17 score was 29 to 15.

Some observations about the tournament;

Most boys seem to have enjoyed themselves and hopefully be better rugby players for the experience. The coaching and management staff have certainly put in an enormous effort.

30 boys per squad is probably too many when it comes to game time.

It was a great idea to play the semi as a curtain raiser to the Rebels v Brumbies game however the game started 20 minutes before gates opened and 5 minutes before the arranged time to admit parents. I am told that parents simply climbed over ther turnstile when staff refused to allow them entry. As this is a representative pathway aimed at keeping boys in the game, why not play in front of some spectators. Officials also need to realise that they need a parent buy in to keep boys in rugby - I can't imagine an NRL or AFL curtain raiser being played in front of a closed stadium.

Not sure if the boys had a meet and greet with players but judging by earlier posts this should be a no brainer to Make it special for the kids.

I look forward to an improved version of the competition next year.

Rebelcane

Frank Row (1)
So its the 2 Vic teams 1 Qld (U15's) and WA in the finals. I wonder where the finals will be played???????GO DA REBELS

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
The U17 score was 29 to 15.

Some observations about the tournament;

Most boys seem to have enjoyed themselves and hopefully be better rugby players for the experience. The coaching and management staff have certainly put in an enormous effort.

30 boys per squad is probably too many when it comes to game time.

It was a great idea to play the semi as a curtain raiser to the Rebels v Brumbies game however the game started 20 minutes before gates opened and 5 minutes before the arranged time to admit parents. I am told that parents simply climbed over ther turnstile when staff refused to allow them entry. As this is a representative pathway aimed at keeping boys in the game, why not play in front of some spectators. Officials also need to realise that they need a parent buy in to keep boys in rugby - I can't imagine an NRL or AFL curtain raiser being played in front of a closed stadium.

Not sure if the boys had a meet and greet with players but judging by earlier posts this should be a no brainer to Make it special for the kids.

I look forward to an improved version of the competition next year.

Isn't April fools Day next Tuesday? :eek:

Thanks for the update.

Any news on the results of the other semifinals?

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
U17 - WA 23 Bris Purple 8.

Very tough, physical game played in wet, wintry conditions. WA looked in control for the better part of the game but Brisbane started to match the intensity in the last 15, launching attack after attack and forcing desparate defence from the locals. Really enjoyable match.

At presentations, Hugh Carpenter, with a delightfully refreshing candour, advised the final will be played in "Perth or Melbourne ... which ever is cheaper".

Enruoblem Sleber

Frank Row (1)
Finals venue? With WA and Victorian teams in both finals... and with 'rugby development' as one if not the main ethos of the JGC, wouldn't WA or Victoria for the Grand Final venue be a 'no brainer'? And with Victoria having both teams in both finals... would that not tip the scales towards Victoria being the most logical Grand Final Venue?

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I understand that the Victorian & Western Australian squads that will compete in the U17s final are largely made up of the same players who took part in the U16s national champs at Riverview last year.

In the finals play off Vic ran out winners 36-17.

Delphy & other W.A. supporters has W.A. improved throughout the JGC to the extent that the boys can be confident of reversing that outcome?

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Rebelcane - Hugh Carpenter has already indicated U17 final will be in Perth or Melbourne with cost being the determining factor.

Tahspark - WA has certainly improved since U16's Nat's but I have no doubt Vic will have done the same.

WA was a bit flat last time the sides met which led to a 1 sided score line. With a title on the line you would expect both sides to be fired up. Should be a fantastic match.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Well done all the teams that have competed I hope all participants will continue to be the good disciples of heavens game they have been invited to be.
Thank You Delphy for you complete and accurate posts. Not only telling us the scores but telling us which team got them is helpful for those of us not on the inside. knowing who the teams are etc. is great for the posters but as someone using this place to get some scant information on what is happening around the place some recent posts have been more confusing than informative.
I do glean some entertainment from the opinion pieces but when looking for information accuracy is most helpful.

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Finals venue? With WA and Victorian teams in both finals. and with 'rugby development' as one if not the main ethos of the JGC, wouldn't WA or Victoria for the Grand Final venue be a 'no brainer'? And with Victoria having both teams in both finals. would that not tip the scales towards Victoria being the most logical Grand Final Venue?

That could lead to a home ground advantage towards the Vic sides... With the distance required to travel by the other teams it could mean the Brisbane and WA sides are at a disadvantage

Wouldn't it be smarter for the teams to play at a neutral ground, which does happen to be Sydney, or what about Canberra?

I just think a neutral field would allow all teams to have equal opportunities.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
QRU streamed the Brisbane Purple v Brisbane Gold game live via YouTube, can watch the game here

Which team is which??? :)

Thanks for posting that TOCC - great clarity.

I hope that the ARU arranges for the some NRC games to be seen like this, even if it is after the event—and with the audio of the officials added.

T

TOCC

Which team is which??? :)

Thanks for posting that TOCC - great clarity.

I hope that the ARU arranges for the some NRC games to be seen like this, even if it is after the event—and with the audio of the officials added.

Agree, I can't imagine the overheads are massive if the QRU did it for a Junior Gold game but it does seem rare.

Dxxx

Frank Row (1)
Very proud of how WA U17s made it to the ARU Junior Gold Cup grand finals U17s, it will be WA home grand finals this coming Saturday 5/4/11 11am kick off at UWA rugby grounds vs VIC team
All the best for both teams #WAvsVIC

Status
Not open for further replies.