• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Any Qld news on JGC, seems like its not as active as it was.anyone know if they are following our model in NSW
Players were sent nomination forms this week, but email didn't state what date for trials or location.The email did confirm that in the U17's they are combining 5 teams (Logan, Ipswich, Brisbane x3) to just one Brisbane team. Email didn't explain the reason behind that decision. U15 will remain the same as last year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Perfect - thanks for posting it.

The next step would be to retain the link to NRC teams after leaving school to tie into an U19 team for each NRC squad for curtain raiser games.

This would help the scouting effort for state U20s the following year and also to bring forward elite training for youngsters who have left school - amongst other things.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Players were sent nomination forms this week, but email didn't state what date for trials or location.The email did confirm that in the U17's they are combining 5 teams (Logan, Ipswich, Brisbane x3) to just one Brisbane team. Email didn't explain the reason behind that decision. U15 will remain the same as last year.

So do I understand this correctly where Brisbane had 5 teams this is now 1 team in the 17s....thats 100 players that can no longer develop through this program.....that doesn't sound right

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Correct.
And if the Reds Emerging boys get automatic selection into the team, like they did last time, then there won't be many positions left for the U16/U17 players that are not Reds Emerging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Correct.
And if the Reds Emerging boys get automatic selection into the team, like they did last time, then there won't be many positions left for the U16/U17 players that are not Reds Emerging.

Sounds like Queensland are making a cull at 17 years old, if you haven't got a "Reputation" by 17 years old or you haven't made the Emerging reds squad then you had better find another sport or move to another district/city/area.....its a very very narrow pathway after 16 by the look of it...

MR. RUGBY

Frank Row (1)
K
Perfect - thanks for posting it.

The next step would be to retain the link to NRC teams after leaving school to tie into an U19 team for each NRC squad for curtain raiser games.

This would help the scouting effort for state U20s the following year and also to bring forward elite training for youngsters who have left school - amongst other things.

keep your ears to the ground. Your wish may be already in the pipe works

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I hope that is the case. That would also fill a big gap in the development programme and provide a logical development pathway for the players transitioning from schoolboy.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can anyone confirm if the ridiculous policy of allowing players from other codes coming in and not registering and playing with a local club is still in place?

If so I will NOT be passing on the information to any players in our club. If I do hear of players thinking of trialling for JGC I will personally call them to explain the waste of time and money it is. Again we're trying to put in place a programme similar to Harold Matts or SG Ball. Our kids pay $660 and the league programs pay $0!!!! To the bloke that said its not free.... The kids don't pay a zac, not one red cent. ARU/NSW wake up!!!! You're pushing kids out of our sport by charging. It's a bloody rort that they need to pay $10 just to trial!!!!! Worst thing is that policy has now spilled into our local rep program. Went well to.... One of our teams had an easy selection trial..... 19 kids turned up for a 23 man squad. Yeah..... They got pumped!

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anyone confirm if the ridiculous policy of allowing players from other codes coming in and not registering and playing with a local club is still in place?

If so I will NOT be passing on the information to any players in our club. If I do hear of players thinking of trialling for JGC I will personally call them to explain the waste of time and money it is. Again we're trying to put in place a programme similar to Harold Matts or SG Ball. Our kids pay $660 and the league programs pay $0!!!! To the bloke that said its not free.. The kids don't pay a zac, not one red cent. ARU/NSW wake up!!!! You're pushing kids out of our sport by charging. It's a bloody rort that they need to pay $10 just to trial!!!!! Worst thing is that policy has now spilled into our local rep program. Went well to.. One of our teams had an easy selection trial... 19 kids turned up for a 23 man squad. Yeah... They got pumped!

Happens everywhere nowadays....QRU are doing it, trying to entice leaguies over for the JGC program then they return to the sport they love and play MM or CC cup where like in NSW you get more bang for your buck...$700.00 is a lot of money ... unless you are at a private school and you can afford it...Lol

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would think we would want to be encouraging as many players from ANY sport to come and trial for JGC; League, Soccer, AFL, Chess (for that matter), I really don't care.

I don't consider that League players are "stealing" the spots of the loyal Rugby community. That attitude is short sighted and not in the interests of growing the game. Rugby players can trial for Matts if they so wish.

So I don't agree with compelling players to play club or school Rugby. We should provide an opportunity for all players to want to play Rugby in Winter. Period! If JGC is the "sampler" then great.

I don't agree with charging kids to trial as I feel that is a disincentive. Surely the State Unions can cover the costs of running the trials in their budget. Consider that an investment in the future of the game Unions!

Just because League choose not to charge doesn't make free the right price! There is no "Money Fairy", its got to be funded from somewhere. Most likely at least partially from those that benefit from the experience.

Yes I do agree $600+ is an unreasonable cost. As to what is a fair and reasonable cost for kit, travel and participation? I would have thought something along the lines of what a club would charge for registration for a season is fair.

I do believe there should be a financial contribution from participants otherwise all of community "Grass roots" Rugby are supporting the "gifted and talented". As long as all participants are paying the same fees and have the same opportunities then that's the price of pursuing this pathway.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
I would think we would want to be encouraging as many players from ANY sport to come and trial for JGC; League, Soccer, AFL, Chess (for that matter), I really don't care.

I don't consider that League players are "stealing" the spots of the loyal Rugby community. That attitude is short sighted and not in the interests of growing the game. Rugby players can trial for Matts if they so wish.

So I don't agree with compelling players to play club or school Rugby. We should provide an opportunity for all players to want to play Rugby in Winter. Period! If JGC is the "sampler" then great.

I don't agree with charging kids to trial as I feel that is a disincentive. Surely the State Unions can cover the costs of running the trials in their budget. Consider that an investment in the future of the game Unions!

Just because League choose not to charge doesn't make free the right price! There is no "Money Fairy", its got to be funded from somewhere. Most likely at least partially from those that benefit from the experience.

Yes I do agree $600+ is an unreasonable cost. As to what is a fair and reasonable cost for kit, travel and participation? I would have thought something along the lines of what a club would charge for registration for a season is fair.

I do believe there should be a financial contribution from participants otherwise all of community "Grass roots" Rugby are supporting the "gifted and talented". As long as all participants are paying the same fees and have the same opportunities then that's the price of pursuing this pathway.

Apologies...I guess I am talking more from a development investment angle, investing in those that have made an investment in our game through the club or school scene using that investment to develop and improve the boys that choose our game ....rather than looking elsewhere...not sure that JGC is the right place for boys new to the game to "Try union"...that should be a pathway for boys we have invested in and developed...

OffsideAgain

Frank Row (1)
Unfortunately for those of us involved with regional junior rugby, we get the sharp end of the pineapple when these programs are developed. $660 to attend 2 weekend camps prior to fronting up to the Competion side of the deal is hard for some parents to swallow.

There are so many Club players that will pay $50 for a summer season of touch footy with their mates rather than being cannon fodder for the larger metro sides to advance in the so called "developement program" pissing contest that JGC appers to have become.

You only have to look at the Brisbane U17 JGC condensation of 4 teams/regions into 1 to realize that the devoplement component has given way to the Victory mindset.

The tyranny of distance is an immense obstacle for parents of 14 year old rugby diehards, but is overcome with amazing dedication & passion for their sons enjoyment of the game.

Travel 250kms, leaving at 7am, for a trial you paid $10 to attend? Not a problem.
Drop everything to travel the same distance twice for a weekend training run? We're there with smiles and enthusiasm.
Paying $660 to subsidize flights for teams thousands of kms away seems a bit rough.

It's hard to see the Big Picture when the nearest Art Gallery is 10 hours away.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
I believe JGC started with good intentions as most initiatives do, all about development and creating clear pathways, looks like that is changing to an elite competition for those that can (a) afford it (b) live in the metro areas, not necessarily the most talented.
Die hard rugby boys will always want to stay on the pathway to Gold, its tough in the regional areas and something obviously has to be done there so boys and parents believe there is a fair pathway achievable by all...not just metro or private school boys...
What are the pathways to GOLD?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Offside again

You only have to look at the Brisbane U17 JGC condensation of 4 teams/regions into 1 to realize that the development component has given way to the Victory mindset.

I hope you are wrong but I suspect you aren't....

At the end of the 2014-2015 programme parents and players were surveyed about their experience of JGC and what they thought should be done to improve the experience/programme. Here's hoping someone higher in the "food chain" listened.

I am heartened by some initiatives and dumbfounded by others.

If anyone can find a press release from the ARU or any current info on what the National JGC program will look like can they please post. What are the expectations of the programme? How many U15 and U17 teams will there be nationally?

I have the info for NSW but buggered if I can find any info for anywhere else in the country... pretty sad really. The ARU website is an embarrassment and hopelessly out of date. G and G is the most current source of truth!

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
To go along with this theme, the ARU are doing tight 5 coaching clinics which will be rolled out nationally. Focusing on 16-20 year olds and developing their scrum. The NSW one will be run by cam blades. It's about teaching coaches what to look for and how coach/guide young T5 players. Great idea IMO. Should've been done years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.