• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hugh look at other posts - these boys are from Oz A and Pres XV

I know that other boys were from Oz A and Pres XV, but no names were mentioned in previous posts you refer to.
As I compared names in last nights programme with the touring party to establish the names of the "lucky ones", I thought I'd share these names with other readers to save them the trouble.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Has Pitbull done a runner?

He was being a smartarse; so I deleted his post as being derogatory about a present schoolboy player which is a no-no.

Let's not take it further

Thanks

LG

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Big Bum,

From Presidents XV - M. Wells (Riverview) - He played in the 2nd row for the Pres. team but the last I saw of him before that was playing 8 against Joeys. He didn't take my eye this year but that is neither here nor there.

From Presidents XV - THP P. Kite (Nudgee) As I said in my match report of the President's XV game: Kite was the star forward. I wonder if he can play LHP; if he can then Millar, Roach and he would form a formidable front row to match any Kiwi team.

From Oz A - 8. J. Holloway (Waverly) - A good tall no. 8 who can play in the 2nd row - I'd like him to have a bit of Luani's mongrel.

From Oz A -
What chance for Ingate to make the tour. I think he and F'sautia in the centre would be dynamic. Also agree for Crook at 15, he has that impact ability.

13. C. Ingate (Kings) - I replied to PP that Ingate would be unlikely to tour as Hingano's place was secure and that both winger CFS and fullback Holland can play 13 - and if Holland had to go there fullback Keary was more likely to tour to replace him. I was wrong in my answer PP. [And not to the point but the aforementioned Holland had a better game yesterday than last Wednesday.]

It's bad luck for THP Brodie to be omitted. A school mate of his told me on Wednesday that he had a slight hamstring strain, but he came off the bench in both Oz games. If he was dropped he couldn't complain about his replacement.

Apart from Kite, who is a straight substitution, the extra players don't seem to help the balance of the team, but schools players are more versatile than their seniors.

Browning was 15 at last years Nationals, he is still only 16.

Welcome aboard - thanks for that. I have the sneaking position that somebody told me that last year also but I forgot it. He's fairly handy for his age isn't he? I take it that he is back at school next year - though Qlders leave school earlier than down here.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kite would have been a shot from day one but injury kept him out of States and Nationals.

This is why the concept of the Presidents XV is a good idea - and so is the new make up of the Combined States team.

Kite was terrific in the game and the selectors had him in mind to tour from that moment IMO - but would look at the THPs in Oz A and Oz Schools in their games first.

In my eyes Millar and Kite were the best THPs from Saturday to Saturday though I liked Hoskins from Oz A also.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree the Presidents and Combined States teams are great ideas but I still think the Combined States should be called the Australian Junior Barbarians or some variation of it.

D

Doc

Welcome aboard - thanks for that. I have the sneaking position that somebody told me that last year also but I forgot it. He's fairly handy for his age isn't he? I take it that he is back at school next year - though Qlders leave school earlier than down here.

The crazy thing is, in theory, both Browning and Reiser could play 2 more years of schoolboy rugby. Reiser graduates this year, while Browning is back for one more (at least).

N

New Fan

F'Sautia will be back as well. He is a week or two younger than Browning and Reiser.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Quiz - which two Oz Schools 1st XV players are not covered by another tourist who plays his position regularly?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Can anyone tell me how the President's 15 is selected each year?I hadn't really paid attention to it over the past 3 years I have been watching schoolboys.

R

Rothschild

Quiz - which two Oz Schools 1st XV players are not covered by another tourist who plays his position regularly?

I'm guessing 14 and 15.
petaia usually plays 12 or 13, sautia this year played 13 so there are no other full time wingers and or fullbacks.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
petaia usually plays 12 or 13

Oops my answer would have been wrong. Petaia was picked at wing for Qld Schools and Oz Schools; so I assumed he was a winger, and would cover for the other wingers as he did on Wed. and Sat. last.

My answer was going to be 12. Apo L and 15. Holland - but if Petaia plays 12 regularly Apo is covered. Holland could be covered by Crook who has reportedly played fullback from time to time but he is not a regular fullback.

Spewn
I can't recall a President's XV being picked before for Opens. In NSW we used to use the name for a team in the U/16 comp to include boys from GPS and other school groupings that didn't have an U/16 team, but Opens? Maybe they still do for the U/16s, but it's not to the point.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can anyone tell me how the President's 15 is selected each year?I hadn't really paid attention to it over the past 3 years I have been watching schoolboys.

Well lets see last year it was........

This is the first year that the Presidents XV was selected - a joint exercise between the Oz schools selectors and the ARU

Status
Not open for further replies.