• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

According to his school coaches Petaia is a winger, who is simply playing 12 at school to fill a need. He was pushed for wing at rep level and played there in GPS and QLD levels

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Two questions for the forum

1. When do Qld school holidays start and end?
2. Are any of the NSW players in year 11?

B

baldingwingforward

Two questions for the forum

2. Are any of the NSW players in year 11?

Both Holloway and Wells will be back next year. Both play #8 for their schools so should be an interesting tussle. The trial match between Riverview and Waverley should have some added spice for one of them to get the early selection jump on the other...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Coach Pat Langtry has unveiled a 26-man squad for the Australian Schoolboys five-game tour of Samoa and New Zealand.

Queensland’s Hills Sport High School lock Steve Cummins will captain the side which features three returning players in Newington College hooker Hugh Roach and Brisbane State High duo, lock Curtis Browning and winger Chris Feauai-Sautia.

The squad will assemble in camp at the National Centre of Indigenous Excellence in Sydney on Friday before departing for Samoa on Sunday for a two-match tour.

Game one is against a Samoan Schools selection at Apia Park on Tuesday 21 September at 3pm and the first of three Tests on tour will be against Samoan Schools also at Apia Park on Friday 24 September at 3.30pm.

From Samoa, the Australian Schoolboys will head to New Zealand where they’ll play the Waikato Harlequins U19 (29 Sept), a Test against Tongan Schools (2 Oct) and round out the tour with a Test against New Zealand Schools on 6 October in Otago.

The squad is largely made up with players from NSW, with five of the 15 representatives hailing from The King’s School and three from Newington College.

Queensland is represented by eight players with three coming from Brisbane State High School, Hale School prop Gary Neugebauer is the sole representative from WA and ACT has provided two players in St Edmund’s College fullback Lewis Holland and Marist College No.8 Tom Cusack.

The Australian Schoolboys have enjoyed an unbeaten run so far this year, toppling Fiji Schools 40-0 in the Bledisloe Cup curtain-raiser last Saturday after earlier recording a 52-10 victory over Samoan Schools.

FIXTURES:
Tuesday 21 Sep
Australian Schoolboys v Samoan Schools selection – Apia Park – 3pm
Friday 24 Sep
Australian Schoolboys Test v Samoan Schools – Apia Park – 3.30 pm
Wednesday 29 Sep
Australian Schoolboys v Waikato Harlequins Under 19 – St Pauls Collegiate, Hamilton – 2pm
Saturday 2 Oct
Australian Schoolboys Test v Tongan Schools – Sacred Heart College, Auckland – 2.30 pm
Wednesday 6 Oct
Australian Schoolboys Test v New Zealand Schools - Littlebourne, Otago BHS - 11.45am

Curtis-BROWNING-Brisbane State High School-QLD-Flanker/Lock
Tom-CONNOR-The Kings School-NSW-Flanker
Lindsay-CROOK-The Southport School-QLD-Winger
Steve-CUMMINS (c)-The Hills Sports High School-NSW-Lock
Tom-CUSACK-Marist College Canberra-ACT-No.8
Tim-DONLAN-St Ignatius' College-NSW-Halfback
Tim-DUCHESNE-Knox Grammar School-NSW-Halfback
Chris- FEAUAI-SAUTIA-Brisbane State High School-QLD-Winger
Jed-GILLESPIE-The Kings School-NSW-Prop
Malietoa-HINGANO-St Augustine's College-NSW-Centre
Lewis-HOLLAND-St Edmund’s College-ACT-Fullback
Jed-HOLLOWAY-Waverley College-NSW-Lock/No.8
Luke-KEAREY-Oakhill College-NSW-Flyhalf/Fullback
Boyd-KILLINGWORTH-The Kings School-NSW-Flanker
Philip-KITE-St Josephs College Nudgee -QLD-Prop
Apolosi-LATUNIPULU-Newington College-NSW-Winger
Sioeli-Pulu-LUANI-Newington College-NSW-No.8
Guy-MILLAR-The Kings School-NSW-Prop
Gary-NEUGEBAUER-Hale School-WA-Prop
Maile-NGAUAMO-Ipswich Grammar School-QLD-Hooker
Walter-PETAIA-Brisbane State High School-QLD-Winger
Sam-REISER-St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace-QLD-Lock
Hugh-ROACH-Newington College-NSW-Hooker
Dion-TAUMATA-Keebra Park High School-QLD-Flyhalf
Michael-WELLS-St Ignatius College-NSW-Flanker
Ed-WYLIE-The Kings School-NSW-Flyhalf

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that Nod

Playing 4 games before the Kiwi test is a fairly good tour and one is a test against Tonga in NZ which is unusual. No doubt the Tongan lads are there to give NZ Schools a hit out too.

2 years ago there were a few injuries/illnesses so they must have a train-on squad at home.

R

Rothschild

Luke keary was today added to the squad as Chris Ingate withdrew in order to concentrate on his HSC exams.
We wish him well and boy that must have been a tremendously tough call to make. He is a great kid and would have lent some straight(er) running and I think better distribution to those outside him even though he lacks a tad of pace.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Both Holloway and Wells will be back next year. Both play #8 for their schools so should be an interesting tussle. The trial match between Riverview and Waverley should have some added spice for one of them to get the early selection jump on the other...

I believe these two are in Year 12 this year and are doing pathways. This may mean that they are older than 18 and maybe ineligible to play Rugby for schools next year

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yep, must have been a tough call for the lad, but good for him - there is more to life than rugby.

I actually thought Keary was the better addition to the team anyway as he covered fullback for Holland.

Hingano at 13 got little ball at to distribute to his wings on Saturday night; so Ingate may not have been better at distributing to his backs, and even 12 Apo got ball that stunk. But a good straight runner as you say.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Since I answered that question yesterday [about who was the Kiwi Schools 1st 5 last year], I watched one of the ITM matches I recorded on Saturday. Manawatu was playing Wellington and then on comes Sopoaga. I don't know where he played as the 10 was still on the park but it was probably 12.

Good player - we are going to hear a lot more of this lad.

Well, last weekend he started as 1st 5 for Wellington against Auckland. Watch this space on 19 y.o. Sopoaga.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee, can you tell me what is the current policy re commiting to rugby? Is Luani going to league in 2011? Would this have prevented him from touring in the past?

PS. All OK now

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not the one to ask - maybe observer knows as he seems to have his ear close to the ground on how rugby and league matters work for lads of this age.

Luani is definitely off to the Tigers.

The only thing I can tell you about the past is that the Setu brothers played for Oz Schools against Japan at Scots in 2005 and a few weeks later they were dropped from the team to play NZ in Canberra because one had signed for the Broncos and the other for the Dragons. It wasn't on form - especially for the brother who was in the run-on team.

Somebody mentioned on this forum that the ARU take a dim view of selecting lads going to league because they provide funds for tours.

Maybe it's a matter of whether a contract has been actually signed - or not. In this case lads could withhold their signature until the Oz Schools games are finished for the year.

Anybody know anything definite about the protocol, as compared to my waffle?

J

jbhi5

Who has been the stand out Australian Schoolboy in the past two games? I have heard nothing but positive about Curtis Browning and he still has another year to go. Great to hear new talent

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Who has been the stand out Australian Schoolboy in the past two games? I have heard nothing but positive about Curtis Browning and he still has another year to go. Great to hear new talent

Also is there anyone who could play S15 next year?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm not the one to ask - maybe observer knows as he seems to have his ear close to the ground on how rugby and league matters work for lads of this age.

Luani is definitely off to the Tigers.

The only thing I can tell you about the past is that the Setu brothers played for Oz Schools against Japan at Scots in 2005 and a few weeks later they were dropped from the team to play NZ in Canberra because one had signed for the Broncos and the other for the Dragons. It wasn't on form - especially for the brother who was in the run-on team.

Somebody mentioned on this forum that the ARU take a dim view of selecting lads going to league because they provide funds for tours.

Maybe it's a matter of whether a contract has been actually signed - or not. In this case lads could withhold their signature until the Oz Schools games are finished for the year.

Anybody know anything definite about the protocol, as compared to my waffle?

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/1224_resource{106396}.pdf

“LOYALTY” AGREEMENTS
As part of the provision of the total costs of tours, and as part of
the educators of our players into the professional era, Australian
Schoolboy Players now sign a ‘loyalty’ agreement.
In this they acknowledge receipt of the benefits of the costs of the
tour they have been selected for. They also undertake then to play
Rugby for at least twelve months after leaving school, or to pay
back the cost of the tour.
These agreements came into being for the 2001 Tour to Japan,
the UK and Ireland.
They had an immediate impact when two for the selected players
withdrew from the tour, revealing their intention to play Rugby
League immediately after leaving school.

This was the ARU policy about players touring who had signed league contracts or intended to play league on return from the tour. We saw the farcical situation last year when Tyson Frizzel toured Europe and when he returned announced he was playing for the Cronulla Sharks.

However I'm reliably informed that the group to tour Samoa and NZ soon did not have to sign a loyalty agreement. It seems the ARU is prepared to cop some defections, let the NRL develop the boys, keep monitoring them and get them back in 2-3 years if any good.

I know ARU people spoke with Gerard McCallum after his great game in the Waratah Shield final against Auggies. The message to him was: hey, we know you're with the Bulldogs but we are still interested in you. Talk to us when your contract is up.

Same with Luani. The kid obviously likes both codes and it is conceivable he will one day return to the code so why get him offside in the interim. I also know that Lindsay Crook was made offers by at least three NRL clubs but he eventually signed with the Brumbies.

It seems the ARU have softened their policy.

S

sportsfan

Lindommer said on another thread that Roach was going to Canberra.

Is this true? I thought he was a Gordon junior. Surely the Tahs would have made him an offer if he was going to play next year? Does anyone besides Lee rate him?

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lindommer said on another thread that Roach was going to Canberra.

Is this true? I thought he was a Gordon junior. Surely the Tahs would have made him an offer if he was going to play next year? Does anyone besides Lee rate him?
----------------

Yes - Roach is joining the Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.