• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tom McVerry joins the Brumbies as injury cover for Pocock.........

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-cleared-to-play-stormers-20140321-hvl8c.html

T

tranquility

Is there a lot of back rowers going around at the moment though?

Mowen's heading overseas, McMenimen's heading overseas, Potgeiter is the starting blindside in NSW, Quirk and Shatz aren't looking like a test back-rowers, and our best Wallaby blindside from 2013 is playing lock.

Sure Palu and McCalman are in form, Higgers shines in some matches, but for me the back row is looking very precarious with the RWC only 18months away, we are only an injury or two away from posting a below test standard back row IMO.

Surely we have other areas of greater concern..

Hooper, Gill, Fardy, Palu, Higgers, McCalman, McMahon, Dennis, Cottrell, Kimlin, Butler, Futu, Browning, will all be in contention by World Cup Time which doesn't look too bad..

Locks on the other hand..

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Can you imagine if Aus had a backrower with as much pound-for-pound explosive power as Speight :eek:

Happy to say not much of that article surprised me though! You can see it in the way that Speight plays that he has no knowledge of this word called 'fear' and is just as hard as nails.

I can't remember seeing another skinny winger take hit ups like he does, much less also run with the absolute confidence he displays in the wider channels. He looks like he quite enjoys his footy as well!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tom McVerry joins the Brumbies as injury cover for Pocock...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-cleared-to-play-stormers-20140321-hvl8c.html

Interesting selection. McVerry is a bit of a journeyman, solid player, nothing more. Became a regular squad member during the Reds' worst period; doubt he would've made other teams at the time.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
We can just hope he turns out as well as another journeyman the Brumbies picked up from Japan - Scott Fardy.

T

tranquility

Interesting selection. McVerry is a bit of a journeyman, solid player, nothing more. Became a regular squad member during the Reds' worst period; doubt he would've made other teams at the time.

I think it says Eddie Jones recommended him, and he is a pretty astute judge so maybe his time in Japan has been good for him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, at least Tom McVerry is an openside, and he'll be the only one on the Brumbies books.

Wonder if he will get any game time.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, and at the Reds, McVerry spent most of his time behind David Croft. As a result he got a lot of his games off the bench and/or out of position. Remember him being fairly solidly built for an openside, though.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Well, at least Tom McVerry is an openside, and he'll be the only one on the Brumbies books.

Wonder if he will get any game time.

Butler and Smiler both seemed to pick up knocks in the Stormers game. If they're out for any time then McVerry would likely get a run I guess.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some bad photoshop work from the SANZAR Facebook page, but still pretty good.........

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/t1.0-9/10013730_662618693773353_2095245774_n.jpg

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Butler has done pretty well for an 8. Sure he is nothing like a traditional 7 but the Brumbies have enough guys (eg Moore, Fardy) that are very good over the ball so he can afford to not be particularly strong there. Would not like to see him lose the starting spot unless injured.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree - Butler has been a very good stop gap at 7 and should continue for the present barring injury. Add Benny A to the list of pinchers as well. Thought he had his best game in a couple of years on Saturday. And his scrummaging at TH has been working as well. What a fantastic scrum at the end that earned the penalty try. Carter continues to have a massive work rate and is one of the form locks going around atm. Also worth mentioning that Jordan Smiler played a very good game too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So how are the Brumbies placed for injured players returning? Is Scott Sio due back soon? And how long before Henry returns? These two in particular I think are being missed. Also, a lock to partner Sam would allow Scott Fardy to return to 6 where I think he is most dangerous.

Only change I would suggest on form would be (controversially) Pat McCabe to 15 and Christian to 12. Moggy to sit on the pine until he learns to tackle with some conviction. This is the only chink I see in his game.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Could it be a possibility that with Mowen leaving and Kimlin not coming back the brumbies could nab fifita?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Could it be a possibility that with Mowen leaving and Kimlin not coming back the brumbies could nab fifita?

Doubtful, he was in the Academy here and apparently had some issues and he's stated that he wouldn't want to come back

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Circumstances haven't changed since? His ambitions, coaches, playing roster, club management.....

Status
Not open for further replies.