• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
And at the other end of the spectrum - not so good news:

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18437.php#.U2INNPmSyCl

Understandable and I wish him the best and hope to see him back in the future. He's a good player and will be a loss for the Brumbies and will be an asset for any team as he is good enough to get a run with most teams.

Can't believe no other Aus province didn't pick him up. Could have been a solid regular starter for any other Aus province.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can't believe no other Aus province didn't pick him up. Could have been a solid regular starter for any other Aus province.

Maybe he didn't go looking. At 29 maybe he thinks it's a good time to go overseas and potentially earn a bit more in his last few years playing.

I think he could certainly have found his way onto the bench at a few franchises but I doubt he'd find a team who'd pencil him in as a starter.

T

tranquility

I would say he would be the starter at the Rebels, Force, and potentially Reds too.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Disagree.

Inman and Ellison preferred at the Rebels at 12 and 13. He would challenge Inman for the 12 spot, though, despite being a 13.
He'd start at the Force at 13 I think.
He wouldn't make the matchday 23 at the Waratahs.
I would be selecting CFS ahead of him at 13 for the Reds, and would take Taps at 13 or 12 in his current form (edit: that is, a Taps who isn't woefully out of form) ahead of Smith.

So that's 1 team out of 5 he'd be a starter, most he wouldn't make the matchday 23.

Smith is a solid player, best of luck to him overseas.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also doubt the Force would look at recruiting a 30 year old when they've been going well with two young guys in Rasolea and Brache. I agree that Smith is a fair bit better than either of them at the moment, but they've got lots of room for improvement and it would seem like an unlikely recruitment area for the Force.

T

tranquility

Let's have a look. Ellison will not be at the Rebels next season, which is the season in question.

CFS is not playing 13 for the Reds, and I would say that Smith is a better 13 thans Taps or Finger. Maybe even on this very day better than CFS.

He is clearly better than Rasolea.

Guess we all have different opinions.

Reactions: mst

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts as the same as tranquillity.

Lots of talk about CFS but I'm yet to see him shine. Potential is there but he isnt performing to the level everyone seems to be raving about.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Any word on availability for next week's match?

Would be good to see Power back in the 2nd row, with Fardy pushed out to 6. McCabe back in at 12. Drop Smiler completely (little to no impact in games he's played) and run a bench with Fotu and McVerry (who I thought played well in his cameo on Saturday), Lilo and A.Smith or alternatively Rathboner.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fotu played club rugby yesterday for Wests so would be in a big chance of making the bench at least - remember he's had virtually no game time in 9 months so a starting spot would be too much - and I reckon Jake would hate having to play against a team with him in it.

Not sure about the others but they would probably need to be involved in training earlier in the week rather than later if they are to be a chance of playing.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I knew they were making a decision soon and Lealiifano had said he wouldn't play for another Aussie team and it would be a shame to pull the pin on a Wallabies career so soon

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Fantastic news. Hope there's enough in the kitty to keep the rest of the off-contract stars.

Great news and call it a gut feeling but I think they will squeeze them all in but only for another year. I believe what the Brumbies have team-wise provides some incentive to stick it out another year, Also noting the run to the WC, possible Wallaby spots (note the articles in the press today about the Reds poor form potentially costing Red players Wallabies spots), potentially a new Super rugby deal in the wind that may add some cash to the coffers of teams; all of which provides an incentive to wait another year. We also know that the big dollars that the French and Japanese have wont be drying up too quickly so there is no rush to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.