• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If Force gone as being reported, Wessels to coach Brumbies?

No! But if its him or McKellar, its only a hairs difference but I would take him (anyone) over McKellar.

But alas, the more and less I hear about the "you come to us carpark search" the more I think it is Fait Accompli.

Frontfive

Frank Row (1)
He's already been here once before and has a young family to relocate, so probably not.
You would think as a young Head Coach with one season under his belt he would be relocating somewhere/anywhere anyway chasing a job if the Force are gone, unless he wants to coach club rugby in Perth........
Perhaps it actually makes sense for him to go to somewhere he has lived before?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
You would think as a young Head Coach with one season under his belt he would be relocating somewhere/anywhere anyway chasing a job if the Force are gone, unless he wants to coach club rugby in Perth....
Perhaps it actually makes sense for him to go to somewhere he has lived before?

Absolutely. The fact is, his vocation is coaching, if there is no team he must move.

Reactions: mst

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting that De Wet Roos is listed as playing for Southern Districts in the Shute Shield this weekend. The rule of Brumbies is the JID not as strict as in previous years?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
He was only on a 2 month contract and hasn't really played many minutes so probably doesn't come under that rule.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Wessels is young and is doing a really good job considering what he had to work with. Many thought he was a risk mitigation signing, based on the Force having virtually thrown the towel in. Obviously, he wasn't.

We can draw two things from Wessel's year so far -
  1. Wessels is a coach of some potential.
  2. There are plenty of young unheralded coaches who just need an opportunity. Whilst you COULD sign a big name that's been there and done that, we don't NEED to recycle coaches.
There's currently 20-ish Super Rugby coaching roles in Aus, talent will always outstrip demand. If you don't believe talent outstrips demand, you'd at least acknowledge there's plenty of guys around that deserve to be 'tested' at the level up to see if they have 'it'.
Who could the Brumbies look to as fresh blood? McKellar seems to go alright and it's always a good look to promote internally. Cron is obviously hugely promising. Hilton from the Rebels gets great write ups.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My issue with McKellar is that all indications from his involvements with the ACT Vikings and Brumbies so far are that he is very heavily forwards oriented in his game plans. I think the Brumbies are well serviced as far as forwards coaches (Dan Palmer, Peter Ryan) are concerned and what is urgently needed is a head coach who can inject some attacking philosophy into the club.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies are safe from the chop.

Here's their statement

Plus500 Brumbies Statement on
ARU Annoucement

MONDAY 10 APRIL 2017

Following the announcement made by the ARU this morning regarding the structure of the Super Rugby competition, the Plus500 Brumbies will be looking to the future as they continue their 2017 Super Rugby campaign.

The decision, which eliminated the Brumbies from ARU discussions on which team would be cut, was greeted with relief within Brumbies HQ and in the wider Canberra rugby community.

“Whilst we were confident that the Brumbies would remain in the Super Rugby competition we weren’t taking anything for granted,” Plus500 Brumbies CEO Michael Thomson commented.

“With that in mind it’s gratifying to be able to get confirmation that the future of the Brumbies is safe and secure.

“We always believed the Brumbies had a number of strong foundations for remaining in the competition and presented those to the ARU. The Brumbies are a force in Super Rugby and we will continue to build on our traditions and heritage both on and off the field into the future.”

Having the security of the ARU decision behind them the Brumbies can now focus on what lies ahead.

“We will be appointing our new Head Coach to replace the departing Stephen Larkham and expect to be able to name his successor within the next month,” Thomson said.

“There have been many excellent candidates who have applied for the job and we are progressing with the interview process.

“We are continuing our contract negotiations with current players and the recruitment of any identified targets for next season and beyond and will be able to make some significant announcements shortly.

“New General Manager, professional Rugby and Pathways, Damien Hill, who started work with us in March will play a big part in helping to mould the direction the Brumbies will undertake. We are excited and looking forward to a positive and productive future.

“We are also continuing to build an organisation which is connected to Canberra and the region. The Brumbies have always been about more than just what happens on the field and we will continue integrating with the community to make sure that tradition continues.”

Brumbies Head Coach Stephen Larkham meanwhile is looking forward to the Brumbies push towards winning the Australian Conference title.

“Having the uncertainty over the future of the Brumbies cleared up is certainly a positive result for everyone involved with the club,” Larkham said.

“Whilst the players and staff have focused on being the best team we can be rumours and counter-rumours that have circulated around the decision have been a distraction. It will be great to concentrate solely on winning the Super Rugby competition in 2017.

“We have a young and hungry group of players who are working hard to succeed and represent the club to the best of their ability. The support of the Canberra public is something we never take for granted and we aim to go out each week to make you proud of our fantastic club.”

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My issue with McKellar is that all indications from his involvements with the ACT Vikings and Brumbies so far are that he is very heavily forwards oriented in his game plans. I think the Brumbies are well serviced as far as forwards coaches (Dan Palmer, Peter Ryan) are concerned and what is urgently needed is a head coach who can inject some attacking philosophy into the club.

Was there one rolling maul last week?
You long term Brumbies supporters are too hard on your team: its a young side and they need time to grow.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep - Robbie Abel's try resulted from a rolling maul. But I do recognise that the rolling maul doesn't feature as much in recent games while the opposition seem to expect it to occur at every lineout. I did post a warning before the Reds' game that they could expect different tactics surrounding the rolling maul, and it did eventuate.

We probably are quite hard on the tactics the team has consistently played up until a match or two ago. But that is a reflection of most of us believing the team was capable of a lot more than repetitive rolling mauls and consistently kicking the ball away.

I think we are seeing this development, but fans from other Aus franchises are still locked into their perceptions of the Brumbies being a "one trick pony". I sincerely hope we can continue to prove them wrong just as emphatically as we did against the Reds.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More teams have been using the maul as a weapon this year.......

The Chiefs especially in the early rounds.........

The Brumbies are probably responsible for its currently popularity but I don't think they're now the worst offenders.

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
Was there one rolling maul last week?
You long term Brumbies supporters are too hard on your team: its a young side and they need time to grow.
Interesting that Brumbies supporters criticise their forwards coach. I looked at recent statistics from Super Rugby and they appear to be the best pack in the comp for LO, Maul, Scrum and general forward play for not just this season but for the last couple of years. There would be a few teams that would like a pack like theirs. I know as a Tahs supporter we would love to have that pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.