• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Clyde Rathbone's battle with depression

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To pick up on what some of the sufferers have said in answer to PB and spoony my own experience is that for 20 years I didnt know that what I was suffering from was depression.
By chance I overheard a conversation between 2 blokes I was coaching one of whom was trying to get a license to grow St John's Wort which is a herbal remedy for a variety of ailments including depression. he told me that (a) SJW was a noxious weed in this country, and (b) that more SJW was prescribed in Germany than Prozac.
i dont know why but something made me think I should try the SJW - so i did and i felt better.
So then I consulted mainstream medicine.
For 20 years I thought my melancholia was the price I paid for being a genius - I was wrong on both counts!
I have never felt suicidal so I can only imagine how bad you would have to be to do it: its not selfish its irrational. The whole of depression, as I experienced it, is irrational.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Boet I expience it day to day and have my own way to deal with it. Its like lying and bed and worry about shite iso stand up and do something about the things that give you depression. No other way then positive thinking and productivity. Head docters screwed your head and you receive the bill before you even got back home.
I'm glad that you were able to get out of that funk on your own.
For others a push isneeded to get on that path. That doesn't make them any less of a person. And there are many out there that should of asked for help.
But calling them a spoiled brat just because they needed that help does make you less of a man in my eyes.

D

daz

I tell you what, this thread has gone so far off the rails I am not even sure it can be recovered. When did we start allowing this kind of personal shit on the boards?

Frankly, some of you have let yourselves down here. Who gives a shit about race, religion, colour or creed? It's not even about Rathbone, to be honest; it's about how we treat a human being with a diagnosed and recognised medical condition.

Shame on you. You know who you are.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nice read mate.
Did I say something bad btw? It think he would have gotten through it if he had close family by.
I worked for 7 years as a detective and I know what stress and depression is all about. Carried 300 dockets bout 30 of them murder cases, new cases coming in court cases then brought forward dates with deadlines where they get inspected where they can give you a bad rep if it ain't up to scratch so I am not talking just out the air its what I went through as well.

Ps. I fixed some of your spelling errors

Thanks for the corrections. It may not be as much what you said as what the implication was. I respect that you have been through some shit in your life and have found ways to deal with it and stay sane, some people out there struggle. As I said medical sciences have not been able to work it out yet. A lot of the time it is not one thing that triggers the illness. It is a bit like the camel and the straw. Big problems result when something minor triggers a major episode, and you are told to 'get over it', or 'it's not that bad'. This reaction just reinforces the feeling that what we are suffering/feeling is insignificant and therefore we need to shut up about it and deal with it ourselves when completely the oppersite is required. By all means think it, but always, always keep in the back of your mind that there might be more going on then you know and something you say or do just might cause someone to go and lie in front of that train. Hell, there are some people out there that I would love to tell them ' FFS, suck it up and get on with it'.

I think in one of your posts you said that Clyde should have told his family. Trust me, it is not as easy as just telling them that. First - because that could just be where the problems are steming from. Second - if they have been through the same thing and 'appear' to be fine, then it must be your problem, despite the fact that these people might be feeling exactly the same thing. Third - the thought process is that they do not need you adding to their problems. We think that everybody is suffering under then same burdens. It was a real revelation to me when I found out that the burdens I was shouldering were not shared by everyone else out there. I would even say that what I have said on this forum is probably the most I have talked about it any one group of people.

Wow, good post, SFR. Amazing that you can predict potential sufferers. What are some of the indicators - obsessives, perfectionists?

Yep obsessiveness and perfectionism are indicators but usually not on their own. Paranoia is another but I am sure that Godess will tell you that could also mean a lot of other things. Being a workaholic, not accepting praise , presimism, agrophobia, shyness, mood swings, self-harm and the list goes on and on and on. It is reaslly hard to explain. I know in the last couple of years, since I have started to recognise the illness in others there have been situations where I have pulled people aside and said 'Look, mate. You have a problem and before you destroy your life and that of those around you need to go talk to someone.' This is usually the first time that they have even stopped to think about what is going on. But having said that you need to pick your moments. I have a couple of friends that I am concerned about (wallabies amoung them) but have not said anything because I do not know what the reaction is going to be. Those I figure I just hove to be there for them and when it all goes pear shaped help as best I can.

One of the biggest problem with the illness is that it has NEVER been talked about in the past and still holds a certain stigma that means people don't open up. This not only reduces the chance of treatment and recovery, but also puts research and development in a go slow. I firmly believe that, like many mental illnesses, depression is to a certain extent hereditary and by not talking about it we are not doing the next generation any favours in recognising and treating the condition. Once you tell people that you suffer depression some of them react as though it is contagious. Trust me it isn't. Just act as you normally would, most sufferes have developed a bloody thick skin and broard should, but if you see a change in their behaviour, either positive or negative, ask them it they are alright and if there is anything you can do to help. Just having a quiet beer might be enough to get them through a bad patch. In no way am I advocating self-medication with alochol (or anything else for that matter). From personal experience it does not work, just costs lots of money if you have expensive tastes.

PaalBok - Just because Clyde 'did the chicken run', as you so kindly put it, does not mean that he will miraculously to 'cured'. At times that just makes it worse. The thought porocesses are either or both of the following -:
'Why do I deserve to be happy and be in a great place when others aren't?'
'This can't last it just has to all go tits up at some point.'
I am not saying that getting out of a bad situation is NOT going to help, in a lot of cases it does. I am just saying that getting out of a bad situation MAY NOT be the answer and we have to respect that.

I have been thinking the last year or so that I sould write my story down. Maybe I should. At least I won't be classed as an elite / high profile person wanting everybody to feel sorry for them.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I rate people committing suicide as the most selfish you get.

Yes it is selfish. That is one of the reasons I have not attempted it. I know that I would succeed, and I can't have moy family & friends dealing with that. But if you have got to the stage that you think the best solution is out of life, it takes a lot of courage, conviction and self belief to step back from the brink. Somepeople don't have those. Also please seperate sucide from depression. Not all people who suffer depression attempt sucide or have all sucidal thoughts, and not all people who attempt sucide or committ sucide are depressives.

Inside Shoulder's discription as irrational is probably a better one.

All of you guys that said we have suffered from it and this and so on answer me this. Did you go through it alone or did your family stand by you helping you and giving you motivation?

Then its not Paarlbok who hates Rathbone. About 95 percent or everyone that know rugby and cricket in SA hates him and Mr. Petersen. For the circumstances they left.
Now someone said out cultures are alike and I think he was correct in a sense. Now take someone who Australians hate that was from your country or who dearly hurt you sport fans and that you will never forgive and place him now in place of Mr. Rathbone and a englishman or someone else is making a post like this. What will your reactions be? I bet you will react the same as Paarlbok or there would be similar comments.

Re family - no for the various reasons I have stated before, but mainly because I did not tell them. Yep my fauly, but that is what it is.

Re would we do the same - I am sure that a lot of people in Oz would. That is what discussion like this are about. Trying to educate and change perceptions. Don't rush to judge anybody for anything until, you have heard the whole story. A lot of QLDer's might hate Berick for going to the Tahs. Personally I don't as I know that there were a lot of things going on behind the scenes that effected his decision and we have no right to judge. Disappointed, yes, angry with him, no.

I tell you what, this thread has gone so far off the rails I am not even sure it can be recovered. When did we start allowing this kind of personal shit on the boards?

Frankly, some of you have let yourselves down here. Who gives a shit about race, religion, colour or creed? It's not even about Rathbone, to be honest; it's about how we treat a human being with a diagnosed and recognised medical condition.

Shame on you. You know who you are.

Personally I don't think that it has gone ofthe rails. I reakon the train is firmly on the tracks it needs to be a going full steam ahead. But you are right, it is about how we treat people with a recognised medial condition. Hopefully this and discussions like it will improve the recognition and treatment of the condition. If it helps one person, I will happily bang on all day. However I may have to start repeating myself and it will become boring. (Hummour, misdirected or otherwise, is another coping mechanism.)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
By the way, do you usually address women as "mate"? SFR is a woman. I doubt you read her post otherwise you would have picked that up.

Idon't mind being called mate, call a lot of people mate myself. Grew up and have worked in very male dominated circumstances. You get used to it after a while.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thanks for sharing those of you that have been through this. Well done also to Rathbone and Kirwan. I can imagine how Kirwan must have felt when he was told that All Blacks don't cry.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks for your posts, SFR. It's an important subject.
Idon't mind being called mate, call a lot of people mate myself. Grew up and have worked in very male dominated circumstances. You get used to it after a while.

Yeah, I may have been a bit harsh on Spoony. Mate gets used with many inflections but the usual one is friendly.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks SFR, IS, Gagger et al for your views/information. Great to see Australians able to recognise and address such an important issue. I live in a country where the big D is considered a communicable disease and never discussed.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Personally I find sport as an excellent educational tool for my kids to deal with depression. The pundits will tell you winning is everything, something I dont agree with at all. For me its about participation and enjoyment and giving it your best shot. Winning a bonus and qualifying for a higher level the altimate. Kids learn a lot from losing and its the parents responsibility to manage it in the right direction. You can either use
a) the ref cheat excuse (most posters here do this) which makes me even more depressive (Sport and money my two top favourates)
b) take it on the chin and give the opponent credit and motivate yourself to work and train harder. Myself want to see my kid come off the pitch with a smile or
c) Thow one hell of a trantum and cry like a baby. I see this specially from RattleBones/KP soutie lot. They are the spoiled bratty type.

Kids learning to lose in dignation will always been able to handle life losings so much easier. Depression is about not been able to move on from the past, keep living with the past shite.My Christian values help me a lot in dealing with this and sorry if I harm any of you in my posting. Only gives my cent worth.

Thanks to SFR input here. I am the old school type and no harm intended.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Paarl, we're old mates and I'm going to pull you up there. I haven't got a problem with you saying that the best way to cure depression is just to harden up, get some exercise and look on the bright side. To some extent (and from experience), I agree with you. But you seemed to be very angry with Rathbone, and almost seemed to be saying that he deserved the depression because of leaving South Africa. According to your own values, you should move on from the hate.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Depression is about not been able to move on from the past, keep living with the past shite.My Christian values help me a lot in dealing with this and sorry if I harm any of you in my posting. Only gives my cent worth.

PB this is certainly not my experience: nor, I suspect, Rathebone's or most of the people posting on here.
he played 15 tests for Australia - I doubt anyone on here has played any: he achieved - so he's not struggling with his past.
For my part its my future that depresses me - its the inability to see purpose and being unable to get joy from simple things.
I have 2 boys an sometimes I find myself thinking whats the point - theyre happy now, excelling at rugby but when they get to my age they'll feel as lifeless and pointless as me.
Its a constant battle with the future, I find: if I could live in my past I'd have noting to worry about! Thats why ambition/success/perfection tend to feed into it.
IMO and experience
I reckon Ive only learned to live in the moment in the last 6 months..maybe less

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Personally I find sport as an excellent educational tool for my kids to deal with depression. The pundits will tell you winning is everything, something I dont agree with at all. For me its about participation and enjoyment and giving it your best shot. Winning a bonus and qualifying for a higher level the altimate. Kids learn a lot from losing and its the parents responsibility to manage it in the right direction. You can either use
a) the ref cheat excuse (most posters here do this) which makes me even more depressive (Sport and money my two top favourates)
b) take it on the chin and give the opponent credit and motivate yourself to work and train harder. Myself want to see my kid come off the pitch with a smile or
c) Thow one hell of a trantum and cry like a baby. I see this specially from RattleBones/KP soutie lot. They are the spoiled bratty type.

Kids learning to lose in dignation will always been able to handle life losings so much easier. Depression is about not been able to move on from the past, keep living with the past shite.My Christian values help me a lot in dealing with this and sorry if I harm any of you in my posting. Only gives my cent worth.

So. I have participated in lots of sports, and played them mainly for the enjoyment. I learn a lot from losing. I still do. Every day.

a) I don't believe in blaming the ref.
b) I am the first to offer my hand when losing and I don't take it that seriously
c) I don't do tantrums.

I live with my past because it is part of me and something I cannot dispel.

So taking all that into consideration should in theory not get depressed but I still do.

I must be some kind of freak I guess. What's next for me, medication? Or maybe eternal damnation after medication?

Sounds to me like Dr Paarlfreud reckons I am fucked.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So. I have participated in lots of sports, and played them mainly for the enjoyment. I learn a lot from losing. I still do. Every day.

a) I don't believe in blaming the ref.
b) I am the first to offer my hand when losing and I don't take it that seriously
c) I don't do tantrums.

I live with my past because it is part of me and something I cannot dispel.

So taking all that into consideration should in theory not get depressed but I still do.

I must be some kind of freak I guess. What's next for me, medication? Or maybe eternal damnation after medication?

Sounds to me like Dr Paarlfreud reckons I am fucked.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.
I think you miss my point completely and no need to get on your personal high horse calling me Dr Paarlfreud. Not even worth anwering.