• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Clyde Rathbone's battle with depression

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Guys can we stop the shit slinging already and move on... Paarl has a point of view and is welcome 2 it, we've all had our 2 cents to try to persuade each other to our own ideals and it looks like we're at an impasse. Please refrain from taking a personal swing at someone even if you disagree strongly with what they say, and we've all been guilty of it at one time or another but in the end it only degrades our beloved website. Rather than draw the ire of the mods and turn this place into one where we lose our freedom of speech how about we use a bit of decorum and moderate ourselves. If you're posting out of anger or to piss another person off because they said this or you said that then you are only seeking petty revenge and ruining this forum for the rest of us. Lets just move on, let bygones be just that and remember our common ground, our love of Rugby.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK, can we get this back on topic. The fact that he left SA and under what circumstances is neither here nor there. The fact that he has suffered depression, been treated, has recovered and is now speaking about his journey is what we need to be discusssing. The 'He's a bastard/spoiled brat, We hate him', comments are not helping others out there who may need help desperately and this is a way that we can draw attention to a very destructive illness.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think some perspective is needed. At the time Clyde left, South Africans were still extremely sensitive about people leaving SA and were quick to jump the gun and call them out.

The slighests comment about SA by an expat would put people's noses out of joint. Clyde should have said nothing but he gave people the bait more than once.

I think a lot has changed. Most people in SA are more accepting. At least that's how I see it. You won't hear much about the fact that there's a Botha about to start in the second row for England.

For the last eight years I have attended the same conference in Europe and there are a lot of people from SA and for the most part they don't care much. Five or six years ago some wouldn't even speak to me and I had to deal with snide comments. I bit my tongue.

It gives me the shits when Saffers who have left bag SA. The Eastern suburbs of Sydney is packed with them.

Eventually people for the most part move on. Thankfully. Some will keep a chip on their shoulder but that's life.

Clyde became a symbol of the times for many Saffers who either hated the fact that their countrymen were leaving, or were secretly envious.

And there's a whole other dimension here. Leaving the country of your birth is bloody hard. It;s quite easy to get depressed and if you already have a black dog it's very, very hard to keep your chin up. Trust me on that.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
In an attempt to get this back to where it needs to be... The attached is some material that came out of some community meetings held in QLD after the floods of last year.

The Mental Health Primary Care Model is the process by which mental health issues are 'treated' in the system. The Community is where we all reside. Looking at our mates and talking to them and allowing them to talk to us and encouraging them to take the first step - go to their gp.

The 120-Days-on presentation is a great discussion suicide. Although this is the slides that were talked to in a presentation I think that the important facts are there. It also has some contacts on the second last slide. Although they are specifically for the Oakey area, some of them are Oz wide and at least give you apoint in the right direction. The last side is also very important.

As I said before suicide is not always associated with depression, and depression is not always associated with suicide, however a lot of the discussion and issues are the same. These are starting points and educational materials and do not take the place of approiate care.

Attachments

• Mental Health Primary Care Model.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 459
  • 120-Days-on 05 Garry Hansford.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 371

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Sorry guys, I am about to go postal on this thread.

It is about a sufferer of a medical condition speaking out to let other suffers know it is OK and they aren't alone. It doesn't matter if that sufferer is named Clyde Rathbone or Buzz LIghtyear, it doesn't matter if he used to live in South Africa or the planet Zurtron.

They are clearly already dealing with enough, take that shit elsewhere.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It is about a sufferer of a medical condition speaking out to let other suffers know it is OK and they aren't alone. It doesn't matter if that sufferer is named Clyde Rathbone or Buzz LIghtyear, it doesn't matter if he used to live in South Africa or the planet Zurtron.

Just in case they continue to not understand...

L

luikang

In an attempt to get this back to where it needs to be... The attached is some material that came out of some community meetings held in QLD after the floods of last year.

The Mental Health Primary Care Model is the process by which mental health issues are 'treated' in the system. The Community is where we all reside. Looking at our mates and talking to them and allowing them to talk to us and encouraging them to take the first step - go to their gp.

The 120-Days-on presentation is a great discussion suicide. Although this is the slides that were talked to in a presentation I think that the important facts are there. It also has some contacts on the second last slide. Although they are specifically for the Oakey area, some of them are Oz wide and at least give you apoint in the right direction. The last side is also very important.

As I said before suicide is not always associated with depression, and depression is not always associated with suicide, however a lot of the discussion and issues are the same. These are starting points and educational materials and do not take the place of approiate care.
People also use the term depression to describe the temporary sadness, loneliness, or blues that everyone feels from time to time. In contrast to normal sadness, severe depression, also called major depression, can dramatically impair a person’s ability to function in social situations and at work. People with major depression often have feelings of despair, hopelessness, and worthlessness, as well as thoughts of committing suicide. Depression can take several other forms. In bipolar disorder, sometimes called manic-depressive illness, a person’s mood swings back and forth between depression and mania. People with seasonal affective disorder typically suffer from depression only during autumn and winter, when there are fewer hours of daylight. Even steroids can cause it. What type did he suffer from? Was he bipolar?

They wanted to know why is hated by some and I explained to them. Not saying he deserved it or something juts gave the cause of lack of sympathy. Earlier post was my last post around that issue and I am going to continue talking about depression and such related discussion........ Scouts honor

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
People also use the term depression to describe the temporary sadness, loneliness, or blues that everyone feels from time to time. In contrast to normal sadness, severe depression, also called major depression, can dramatically impair a person’s ability to function in social situations and at work. People with major depression often have feelings of despair, hopelessness, and worthlessness, as well as thoughts of committing suicide. Depression can take several other forms. In bipolar disorder, sometimes called manic-depressive illness, a person’s mood swings back and forth between depression and mania. People with seasonal affective disorder typically suffer from depression only during autumn and winter, when there are fewer hours of daylight. Even steroids can cause it. What type did he suffer from? Was he bipolar?

Yep, and I surpose that we are talking clinical depression in this thread, or at least it started out that way. Do you have some experience or expertise in the field that can help?

My aim at keeping this thread alive is not only to help those with depression specifically, as that is where my experience lies, but with all mental illnesses. They are all treated poorly at times and discussion like this can only help.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
This was a great read for me (the article not the flaming) .

Clydes story is almost a mirror image of my own. However my story isn't from a rugby background. I was/sorta still am a minor celebrity in one of my pursuits in life. I went through depression when I realised that it was kind of coming to an end. I got up to 130kg, discovered paleo/crossfit, no longer suffer depression and have lost 30kgs.. My wife stuck by me through thick and thin.

Big ups clyde rathbone.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
This was a great read for me (the article not the flaming) .

Clydes story is almost a mirror image of my own. However my story isn't from a rugby background. I was/sorta still am a minor celebrity in one of my pursuits in life. I went through depression when I realised that it was kind of coming to an end. I got up to 130kg, discovered paleo/crossfit, no longer suffer depression and have lost 30kgs.. My wife stuck by me through thick and thin.

Big ups clyde rathbone.

Good on your wife. Would it be an imposition to have her tell her story? I am always interested in what people from the outside say about the experience as I was (am) the sufferer and that really clouds you judgement as I am sure you understand.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
To be honest - I dont actualy really know her story. I just know that it was a weight of our shoulders when I finally came clean with her when I knew it was depression I was going through. it was a very teary conversation. Ill take a stab though what I think she might have thought- all she could see was a fat, lazy, non achiever lying around doing nothing. When she actually researched and understood some of the symptoms of depression she could now understand what I was going through. It reached its peak at the beginning of 2009 when she had to go overseas for work for about 4 months. Thats when I realised how bad it was when she was gone. I would never get out of bed, I didnt have the urge to see friends. It was just an empty feeling.Suicidal thoughts came in my mind, heck I even started googling the quickest and least painful way to kill yourself. Looking back on it, it was quite scary that I had no emotion when I was doing this. It just seemed like the easy way out. At the time, the business I was trying to get off the ground was failing miserably - so that compounded the situation.

When she returned things came to a head when the house was a pig sty as i hadn't cleaned it/done the dishes for 4 months. At first all she thought was it was just me being lazy . When I explained to her what I was going through she understood a bit more. The funny part is, what got me through the darkest time over that 4 month period was my dog. I would get home from work, an outing or wake up to her smiling loyal, unconditional loving face and it made me feel better, i hate to feel what would happen if I didnt have my dog.

I am happy to say ever since I cleaned up my lifestyle (paleo) - I hate calling it a diet because diets are temporary, lifestyles are forever - I am happier mentally, physically, I have since finished quite a few courses, doing another one just for personal interest. Im also not letting the house get in a pig sty any more ;) .

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Not wishing to be pithy or to pour more oil, but if this thread is more to do with the topic of Depression rather than Rugby could we move it to "Everything Else" ?

For what it's worth I applaud Rathbone for publicly speaking about his condition, and just as importantly, his recovery from same. The more that well known public figures do so, the less ignorance, stigma and shame there will be about it, and the more inclined people will be to seek treatment for it.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
To be honest - I dont actualy really know her story.

I supose what I was getting at was what she went through with you. Her recognition of your depression etc.

And I agree with you about your dog. Although I have cats, it is still think that the unconditional love is a life saver. The fact thtat they will happily curl up on the couch with you and don't lecture you about the washing up.

L

luikang

Yep, and I surpose that we are talking clinical depression in this thread, or at least it started out that way. Do you have some experience or expertise in the field that can help?

My aim at keeping this thread alive is not only to help those with depression specifically, as that is where my experience lies, but with all mental illnesses. They are all treated poorly at times and discussion like this can only help.
No i'm not disagreeing just asked if he was bi-polar