• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Clyde Rathbone's battle with depression

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Big post this but given my own experiences with mental illness & my studies through Psychology (3rd year) I cant resist to comment on a subject close to me.

I won’t go into the details but after going through what I did years ago there is a big difference between what’s chronic & what regular sadness, grief, etc is. I will say that problems don’t always stop after depression has gone, the fear of situations like r/ship break ups, rejection, etc can bring up fears of chronic mental illness recurring again & that alone can cause behavioural issues even when the mental illness is gone.

The comments Clyde made on defence mechanisms & people viewing him as arrogant when really he wasn’t resonated with me a lot because I can be the same in that regard.

I concede the pressure to be tough is expected more of males & that can prevent them from opening up but females are not immune to this either. With my upbringing & what was expected of me I’m a good example of this. Also, having a good supportive family isn’t really something that helps, IMO, I found I worried about upsetting them with my burdens so kept it quiet.

The following is what I have learned from Biological Psychology. In regards to chemical imbalances there is no way you can measure serotonin levels in the brain of a LIVING being. Therefore to find out a depressed persons level to know exactly the amount of medication that is needed or indeed if a chemical imbalance is even present then I would need to euthanise the patient, check their levels, & then bring them back to life to then admin the required meds if they indeed have a chemical imbalance. Unfortunately science has not yet been able to make this possible.

Analysis from the brains of deceased persons has found some chronic sufferers had normal/typical neurotransmitter ranges. This supports two things, it lends support to explain why some people do not respond to antidepressant medication at all & it also supports that while chemical imbalances may cause depression in some people or be one of many causes of depression it still does not explain depression in every person. It’s dangerous to proclaim chemical imbalances as the one reason for depression. I’m not trying to jump down people’s throats with my science speak but it’s a misconception that can be harmful if it becomes common layman’s knowledge, it can actually fuel more stigma toward people with mental illness e.g. “So you don’t have a chemical imbalance? Right, you’re faking depression, get over it”.

Meds, for mine, are a last resort when all else isn’t working. It can help take away some of the fog the mind has to allow people more sleep for instance to help them have a chance to recover. Fitness training is one of the best remedies (for those able to exercise) endorphins released from exercise are awesome for depression – from my experience.

Depression being hereditary has researchers divided as well. Personally I believe it does have a link.

Last science comment but on obsessiveness, I wouldn’t pick someone out for depression just due to that trait. That could actually be OCD which can appear with or without depression, before or after. If it appears after then it’s more likely a result of the OCD & not the cause, so the treatment would need to be for OCD & not depression (IMO, I’m not a doc or a psychiatrist but this is what I have been taught).

It’s a lot easier talking about this in the safety of a forum, can’t say I’d do this in person unless I was with a really close friend (happy to say I have at least a couple of those). I will say that you have to be absolutely careful of who you open up & talk to because some people are only interested in gossip or getting you in the shit (like for instance in a work place situation some power climbers might mention your illness to your boss, paint a picture that you’re unstable & unsuitable & that can have negative implications for your future, the mental illness is bad enough let alone the situation being compounded). Many say to me they wouldnt be so foolish but when your depressed, anxious, etc I feel it can sometimes weaken your decision making & instincts about people especially if you're desperate to get help & feel ready to talk you may well open up but do so to the wrong person/people.

Ultimately I admire what Clyde has done & I think reading his article its obvious to me that its only the tip of the iceberg. The good thing about his article is that like on this forum its got people talking about this serious issue.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The good thing about his article is that like on this forum its got people talking about this serious issue.
Thanks for this Angry Seahorse and others who have shared their experiences. One thing that has shocked me reading this thread is the prevalence of depression. I'm disappointed to say that I have been indifferent about the subject in the past, but hopefully I'm more understanding in the future. I guess that was Clyde's intention in telling his story.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Personally I find sport as an excellent educational tool for my kids to deal with depression. The pundits will tell you winning is everything, something I dont agree with at all. For me its about participation and enjoyment and giving it your best shot. Winning a bonus and qualifying for a higher level the altimate. Kids learn a lot from losing and its the parents responsibility to manage it in the right direction. You can either use
a) the ref cheat excuse (most posters here do this) which makes me even more depressive (Sport and money my two top favourates)
b) take it on the chin and give the opponent credit and motivate yourself to work and train harder. Myself want to see my kid come off the pitch with a smile or
c) Thow one hell of a trantum and cry like a baby. I see this specially from RattleBones/KP soutie lot. They are the spoiled bratty type.

Kids learning to lose in dignation will always been able to handle life losings so much easier. Depression is about not been able to move on from the past, keep living with the past shite.My Christian values help me a lot in dealing with this and sorry if I harm any of you in my posting. Only gives my cent worth.

Thanks to SFR input here. I am the old school type and no harm intended.

Honestly, most of what you've said is just not on.

I think it's important that there's an outlet for opinion and for help, but your comments are neither.

In light of the fact that this is crucially important - true, actual life and death - would it not be a better idea to lock this thread and move on?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Boomer - the problem with locking threads is that the combatants never learn anything, and they come back next week with more of the same.

Personally, I think this thread has been well managed by the mods. Some very tough love from Paarl, but it has been useful for everyone else to express an opinion in contrast with it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
May I continue on this thread ? Look like every one want to knive me here and I am not allowed to defend or to explain despite the language or country barriers here. If we all stay away from personal insults and keep within the thread we can actually learn a lot.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed Paarl. I disagree strongly with your stance, but the more the thread progressed the more I realised that there were a few different variants of depression being discussed. I'm also not a fan of removing someone's right to speak just because the majority disagree with him.

S

spooony

Agreed Paarl. I disagree strongly with your stance, but the more the thread progressed the more I realised that there were a few different variants of depression being discussed. I'm also not a fan of removing someone's right to speak just because the majority disagree with him.
Unless we live in North Korea

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was woken this morning to the news that one of my cousins took his own life yesterday, so figured I would get this thread back to the top.

I said I would write my story and here it is. It's a bit long but hopefully it will help someone out there.

Attachments

• My side of the Nightmare.docx
    253 KB · Views: 448

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
If your willing to share that story to a wider audience get in contact with Capril.
Capril raises money for Beyond Blue by encouraging people to wear capes during the month of April. Inspired by Tony Martin's Get This and his panel operator Richard Marsland who sadly took his own life a few years ago.

Tweet it to @Capril_April they are looking for peoples perspectives on depression.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
If your willing to share that story to a wider audience get in contact with Capril.
Capril raises money for Beyond Blue by encouraging people to wear capes during the month of April. Inspired by Tony Martin's Get This and his panel operator Richard Marsland who sadly took his own life a few years ago.

Tweet it to @Capril_April they are looking for peoples perspectives on depression.

Thanks matty. Will look into that. Am also looking at getting a book off the ground with contributions from various people, not only those suffering depression but also those living with people suffering depression. It is a real shit of a illness and has put a dampner on my easter.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
SFR, thanks for posting that, I'm glad our community is able to provide a place to share.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was woken this morning to the news that one of my cousins took his own life yesterday, so figured I would get this thread back to the top.

I said I would write my story and here it is. It's a bit long but hopefully it will help someone out there.

That's horrible news about your cousin SFR. I'm all over the shop at the mo when things get calmer late in the day I'll read your story - very brave, can't say I'd be able to do the same about my own past. Maybe in the future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

SFR dont aim for a book with other people's yarns in it - I have a feeling that there's a really good book in the bits you have left out or skimmed over, plus deeper analysis of the stuff you have spoken about.
Writing it might have some therapeutic benefits - not just for you!!

I would like to know what Paarl thinks when he has read it - not in a confrontationist way but to see whether it changes his mind or causes him to think differently about depression.

Good stuff.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
SFR dont aim for a book with other people's yarns in it - I have a feeling that there's a really good book in the bits you have left out or skimmed over, plus deeper analysis of the stuff you have spoken about.
Writing it might have some therapeutic benefits - not just for you!!

I would like to know what Paarl thinks when he has read it - not in a confrontationist way but to see whether it changes his mind or causes him to think differently about depression.

Good stuff.

Oh it has IS. Been therapeutic I mean. The other people I am talking about are my family and friends because I think that their input about what they saw/see from my suffering is important for others outside the nightmare. Not only do people need to recognise depression within themselves, more people need to be able to recognise it in others. I can't write about that as I am inside the nightmare so have a very skewed viewed.

I hope you read it all. And glad that you liked it.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Thank you for posting your story SFR. I read it, all of it. The battery on my iPad went flat :)
Some of the irrational behaviour you have described I have seen in others (friends, work colleagues). It's given me a different perspective. Hopefully I'm more tolerant because of it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well said all. I've had my own battles with the black dog and I salute anyone who is brave enough to confront it and live to tell the tale. Sympathies to those who have lost loved ones who didn't make it.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thank you for posting your story SFR. I read it, all of it. The battery on my iPad went flat :)
Some of the irrational behaviour you have described I have seen in others (friends, work colleagues). It's given me a different perspective. Hopefully I'm more tolerant because of it.

I am glad that it kept you occupied until your battery went flat..... and yes it will be good if you are a bit more tolerant. Just don't ignore what is happening if you think there is a problem.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I've struggled with this illness since I was 15. I had what I assume was a breakdown at 20 and began comprehensive treatment. The good thing is, I'm at a point now where I'm in a stable and happy position for the first time in what seems like years - to the point where I forgot what it felt like.

It's still a constant battle. There are days I cannot get out of bed - physically cannot muster the energy. You're likely the same SFR. It's exhausting to live like that.

But it's a battle that must be fought, and can be won.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've struggled with this illness since I was 15. I had what I assume was a breakdown at 20 and began comprehensive treatment. The good thing is, I'm at a point now where I'm in a stable and happy position for the first time in what seems like years - to the point where I forgot what it felt like.

It's still a constant battle. There are days I cannot get out of bed - physically cannot muster the energy. You're likely the same SFR. It's exhausting to live like that.

But it's a battle that must be fought, and can be won.

Right there with you Stu. Right there with you.