• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
manly play Parramatta this weekend. Given that Uni played parramatta in round 1 it will be interesting ot see:

1. how manly and Uni compare' and
2. How much parramatta have improved

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
manly play Parramatta this weekend. Given that Uni played parramatta in round 1 it will be interesting ot see:

Manly will be very good. Parramatta are improving, winning third grade Colts over Randwick and losing by 8 and 9 in 2's and 1's respectively, picking up a 4 try bonus in 1's. Still a work in progress and a tough three week start V Uni, Randwick and Manly but promising signs.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Might be time to institute the G&GR Grass Roots BBQ Rating Thread.

There are some crackers out there, and unfortunately a few that should be served a "needs improvement" notice.

A well run BBQ is usually symptomatic of a well run club.

Perhaps we need a culinary delights thread ! Is a well run club one which attracts maximum volunteers to ensure the quality of BBQ , pies and beer at correct inverse temperatures etc

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps we need a culinary delights thread ! Is a well run club one which attracts maximum volunteers to ensure the quality of BBQ , pies and beer at correct inverse temperatures etc
I agree, let's have a "quality of food thread" (where "quality" is loosely defined). Was disappointed that Randwick's canteen wasn't up to its normal standard on the weekend. They even ran out of pies at a crucial stage. An outrage I tell you, although I understand they rectified the situation later.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree, let's have a "quality of food thread" (where "quality" is loosely defined). Was disappointed that Randwick's canteen wasn't up to its normal standard on the weekend. They even ran out of pies at a crucial stage. An outrage I tell you, although I understand they rectified the situation later.
And, on the subject of OUTRAGES - this whole Carlton sponsorship thing needs to be re-thought if it means that we must drink only their products. What is the world coming to when VB is the best on offer? Could turn a man off beer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 2 Comparison (source: http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby...rawsResults/2ndGradeColtsDrawsandResults.aspx)
Warringah, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 8-25 (0) [No Team List submitted as yet]
2nd Colts, 23-29 (0) [No Team List submitted as yet]
Northern Suburbs, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 25-8 (34)
2nd Colts, 29-23 (18)

Eastwood, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 7-50 (17)
2nd Colts, 0-24 (12)
Sydney University, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 50-7 (38)
2nd Colts, 24-0 (27)

Eastern Suburbs, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 36-21 (33)
2nd Colts, 33-26 (19)
Southern Districts, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 21-36 (10)
2nd Colts, 26-33 (2)

Parramatta, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 27-36 (14)
2nd Colts, 17-32 (9)
Randwick, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 36-27 (28)
2nd Colts, 32-17 (23)

West Harbour, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 12-43 (16)
2nd Colts, 17-46 (15)
Manly, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 43-12 (22)
2nd Colts, 46-17 (14)

Penrith, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 8-53 (0)
2nd Colts, 28-0 (0) [Bye]
Gordon, Score (Player points)
1st Colts, 53-8 (8)

Points System (for Colts)
10 - Under 20 Rep in 2011/2012
6 Aust Schoolboy rep in 2012
6 More than 50% of 1st Grade Colts at a different club in 2012
4 Not an Aust resident in 2011 and 2012 and not a Aust Citizen
4 played >50% of Colts 1 games in 2012
4 played in Division 1 at Aust Schoolboys champs in 2012
4 Aust Schoolboy rep in 2011
2 All players

Discounts (one only to apply)
Family (First year only) 5 points for siblings of players that played the previous season or a son of a former player
Local (maximum of 4 points) One point per year if previously played with the club, or previously played with a local junior club U10 - Opens
Long Service (only if Aust Schoolboy rep in 2012, more than 50% 1st grade colts with another club in 2012, or Aust U20 rep in 2011/2012) - 100% discount if > 5 years with the club

Points cap only applies to starting players and fresh reserves
Points cap for 1st Colts - 40
Points cap for 2ns Colts - 35
No cap for 3rds colts
Can not go to negative points. (Discounts can only reduce value to 0)

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
And, on the subject of OUTRAGES - this whole Carlton sponsorship thing needs to be re-thought if it means that we must drink only their products. What is the world coming to when VB is the best on offer? Could turn a man off beer.
I also find this particularly distasteful. Being told what you can and can't drink is fine if you are going to one of the stadiums, but to be standing at your local ground, watching your mates, nephews, sons or whomever and being force fed some line from the poor bloke behind the bar who is obviously pissed off because he can't have his tooheys old now too, for what? A box of coasters, a polo shirt and some more money into the black hole of NSWRU. I now choose not to consume

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I also find this particularly distasteful. Being told what you can and can't drink is fine if you are going to one of the stadiums, but to be standing at your local ground, watching your mates, nephews, sons or whomever and being force fed some line from the poor bloke behind the bar who is obviously pissed off because he can't have his tooheys old now too, for what? A box of coasters, a polo shirt and some more money into the black hole of NSWRU. I now choose not to consume

If the money went back to the clubs, you could almost swallow it (pardon the pun).

At least they could serve Carlton Draught which is drinkable (or so I'm told) ;)

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)

You don't know how you are really travelling in Colts until you play Uni.
After a few trial matches Parra were looking competitive, then came Round 1 against the Sydney Uni Allstars.
An Australian u/20's training camp squad member is in their Colts 2's. Not sure what that says about their Colts 1 No. 9.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ISA Follower, they have to do that to stay under the Player Points cap.

Should Uni be allowed to squirrel Aust Schoolboys away in Colts 2?
Nothing in the rules to prevent them doing it. In fact the Player Points Cap system actually requires them to do so. If the player in question gets jack of playing 2's and not having an opportunity to star in Colts 1's, then he is free to go to a club like Wests who are well under the Player Points Cap and play regular Colts 1.

If it is Servo Pulver's boy you are talking about, he hails from Mosman, and I presume that he would have some "loyalty" to Norths although he has probably been locked up in the Shore system and unavailable for club footy with Norths juniors for quite some time.

Norths Colts 1 at 34 Player Points last week with some of their number also at U20 camp probably can't really afford to have him in Colts 1. Would he go to Gordon, historical enemies of Norths, particularly given the situation that Colts there have? I think not. Neighbours Manly already have hometown boy Fabian Natoli at Colts 1 #9, keeping him in Colts 2.

Uni may deserve some stick from time to time, but probably not over Servo's boy.

EDIT:
The Management, coaches and volunteers at Parramatta are to be congratulated for their efforts to resurrect their Colts Programme, particularly given where they were last year.

I predict that their Colts 1 performance over the year will not disappoint. Uni, Manly and Norths appear to be tough gigs, and the reality is that there are no easy games in Colts 1 or 2 (except vs The Bye in Colts 2).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Nothing in the rules to prevent them doing it. In fact the Player Points Cap system actualy requires them to do so. If the player in question gets jack of playing 2's and now having an opportunity to star in Colts 1's, then he is free to go to a club like Wests who are well under the Player Points Cap and play regular Colts 1.

If it is Servo Pulver's boy you are talking about, he hails from Mosman, and I presume that he would have some "loyalty" to Norths although he has probably been locked up in the Shore system and unavailable for club footy with Norths juniors for quite some time.

Norths Colts 1 at 34 Player Points last week with some of their number also at U20 camp probably can't really afford to have him in Colts 1. Would he go to Gordon, historical emenies of Norths, particularly given the situation that Colts there are? I think not. Neighbours Manly already have hometown boy Fabian Natoli at Colts 1 #9, keeping him in Colts 2.

Uni may deserve some stick from time to time, but probably not over Servo's boy.

EDIT:
The Management, coaches and volunteers at Parramatta are to be congratulated for their efforts to resurrect their Colts Programme, particularly given where they were last year.

I predict that their Colts 1 performance over the year will not disappoint. Uni, Manly and Norths appear to be tough gigs, and the reality is that there are no easy games in Colts 1 or 2 (except vs The Bye in Colts 2).

Don't underestimate the bye, they're seasoned campaigners:)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Nothing in the rules to prevent them doing it. In fact the Player Points Cap system actually requires them to do so. If the player in question gets jack of playing 2's and not having an opportunity to star in Colts 1's, then he is free to go to a club like Wests who are well under the Player Points Cap and play regular Colts 1.

Norths Colts 1 at 34 Player Points last week with some of their number also at U20 camp probably can't really afford to have him in Colts 1. Would he go to Gordon, historical enemies of Norths, particularly given the situation that Colts there have? I think not. Neighbours Manly already have hometown boy Fabian Natoli at Colts 1 #9, keeping him in Colts 2.

EDIT:

Even Gordon have Matt Hayter who was meant to be playing grade this season until injury pushed him back down to colts. He was one of Gordon's best last season let alone this season. Played CAS etc.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
If the money went back to the clubs, you could almost swallow it (pardon the pun).

At least they could serve Carlton Draught which is drinkable (or so I'm told) ;)
I actually like to have a beer and make the donation of whatever the particular club canteen charges, but as I said previously not one cent of CUB money makes it down to the grassroots, so I now choose not to consume alcohol at a game, but supprt by a cuppa, a soft drink buyins something from the kiosk to put in, just nowhere near as much as if I had a few beers. Its sad

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hello Huge Arse.

I wasn't having a go at Uni, and I did not mean to infer that Uni are doing anything wrong in having such well credentialled players on Colts 2 - I was just saying that Uni is the benchmark mark in Colts, and the others are only pretenders

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree that Uni has set standards that should be considered the benchmark. Much of the incoming grief they cop may be tainted with aspects of jealousy that their aligned club has not moved with the times and adopted similar programmes.

Much of what Uni has achieved has been done with little or no public taxpayer funds support, contrary to many of the peanut gallery comment around the traps. I'm pretty sure that the beancounters at HQ Sydney University would be hoovering up any $ that they can get their hands on from the rugby (and other sports) programme.

Certain clubs have decided to adopt similar programmes and they are attracting and retaining talented athletes, and the Scoreboard is proving that. Other clubs that have not recognised that they need to lift their game to attract and retain talent will continue to be on the receiving end of the hidings like those that have been handed out by Manly, Uni and Norths.

To use ISA Follower's terminology, some pretenders are closing in.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree that Uni has set standards that should be considered the benchmark. Much of the incoming grief they cop may be tainted with aspects of jealousy that their aligned club has not moved with the times amd adopted similar programmes.

Much of what Uni has achieved has been done with little or no public taxpayer funds support, contrary to many of the peanut gallery comment around the traps. I'm pretty sure that the beancounters at HQ Sydney University would be hoovering up any $ that they can get their hands on from the rugby (and other sports) programme.

Certain clubs have decided to adopt similar programmes and they are attracting and retaining talented athletes, and the Scoreboard is proving that. Other clubs that have not recognised that they need to lift their game to attract and retain talent will continue to be on the receiving end of the hidings like those that have been handed out by Manly, Uni and Norths.

To use ISA Follower's terminology, some pretenders are closing in.

YUP - but the tribalism is great as well.

Nos Tradamus

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hello Huge Arse.

I wasn't having a go at Uni, and I did not mean to infer that Uni are doing anything wrong in having such well credentialled players on Colts 2 - I was just saying that Uni is the benchmark mark in Colts, and the others are only pretenders

the others are only pretenders? bold statement 2 weeks into the season. agree Uni set the standard. but quite easy to do with 5 full time salaried employees on board and a massive budget. we'll see who pulls up where at seasons end. everything before then is just chatter.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
the others are only pretenders? bold statement 2 weeks into the season. agree Uni set the standard. but quite easy to do with 5 full time salaried employees on board and a massive budget. we'll see who pulls up where at seasons end. everything before then is just chatter.
Play ball - interesting the above points, Uni's are significantly higher than all others. Their first grade colts alone is more than other clubs have combined

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Status
Not open for further replies.