• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZL beat Sri Lanka to draw first blood.

Wonder how they would go on a rock hard fast paced bouncing pitch, under a blazing sun, facing a lightning fast pace attack?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Australia 9-342, hat trick on the last ball, abysmal fielding from the English in general, exception of a glorious run out from the Irishman.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Huge chase at the G for the Soap Dodgers. 2 down for not too many after 11 overs is just the start we needed.

Feeling confident of an easy victory.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting end to the game at the G tonight.

Any bush lawyers prepared to discuss when the ball goes dead in a scenario like that one?

Taylor didn't look all that happy about the decision, but then not many batsmen stranded on 98 NO are.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not sure. I want to say the ball was dead as soon as the lbw was given but somethung in the dark recesses of my brain says no.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Down to business!

Part the First:
Fuck you, BCCI cretins, for ruining our game with these graphics designed for shitbox 4:3 televisions and Indian audiences who love nothing better than meaningless fucking bullshit statistics and pictures of their heroes.

Part the Second:
Fuck you, Channel 9, for not putting this on HD

Part the Third:
Fuck you, ICC, for selling the broadcast rights to some syphillitic tardmuffins in Singapore, who are not only employing slave labour, but doing an absolutely shit job of teaming with your broadcast partner, Star TV (India), including a complete dropout of all but one camera today

Part the Fourth:
While we're at it, fuck the same tardmuffins for not having enough Hot Spot IR cameras to go around

Part the Fifth:
Fuck you, umpiring fraternity, for not clearing that DRS dead ball shit up before the tournament. I like watching England lose as much as the next bloke, but for that shitty situation to deny Taylor any chance at a century is reprehensible.

Cricket is swiftly becoming a farce while the powers than be on the subcontinent continue to pour their dirty, DIRTY money into it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure. I want to say the ball was dead as soon as the lbw was given but somethung in the dark recesses of my brain says no.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Pretty sure that's what the law says.

I can only think that the runout was effected before the umpire gave the lbw out?

Edit here's the drs match condition
09d026276d92c1d283c2864b30eed1c3.jpg

Second edit
Just seen a replay and the umpire had his finger up before the fielder threw the ball so looks like a bad decision.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
P.S. its going to be 39 degrees in Adelaide tomorrow. That ground will be heaving with sweat and not a bit of subcontinental conditions. Good luck to whoever fields first.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ICC confirm the Poms were dudded. IMHO they would not have won the match, but Taylor would most likely have scored a tonne.

"The playing control team (PCT) met and reviewed the final ball of the game, which resulted in James Anderson being given run-out. Article 3.6 (a) of appendix 6 of the DRS playing conditions states the ball should've been deemed dead when the batsman (James Taylor) was given out LBW. No further runs or dismissals were possible," the ICC said in a statement. "The PCT spoke to the England team management and acknowledged the game ended incorrectly and an error was made."
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...australia-thrash-england-20150214-13ex3o.html

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty bad mistake by the umpires (all of them). Not hard to imagine a situation where that could have had a much bigger impact.

The whole drs needs looking at for these sort of situations.

Saw a a good one on another forum.
Last ball, 4 required, lbw incorrectly given out but then goes for 4 leg byes (was it chased by a fielder?).

On review, not out but dead ball when the finger is up. Match lost

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It has to be Bailey. Otherwise Maxwell has to bowl 10 overs. Unless we get Finch bowling and he is even more of a part timer.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Steve Smith and Micharl Clarke can pitch in for a couple of overs each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd be inclined to drop Watson for the Bangladesh game if Clarke is ready.

Bailey looked to be finding form in his last dig whereas Watson has shown nothing all summer, including having been rested for a few of the ODI's.

He barely contributed with the ball so I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue to share his overs between Maxwell, Smith & Clarke or even Finch.

They won't be rotating the team around that much considering the importance of consistency in this tournament so I doubt we will see Faulkner or Doherty unless the pitch is slow. That said, I'd have this team for Bangas.

Warner
Finch
Smith
Clarke (C)
Bailey
Maxwell
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood

4 x 10 overs between front 3 + Marsh, remaining 10 between Maxwell, Smith and whoever else if necessary. If anyone needs to be rested I'd look at Cummins.

Win the toss, bowl first and back the team to chase down anything.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It has to be Bailey. Otherwise Maxwell has to bowl 10 overs. Unless we get Finch bowling and he is even more of a part timer.

If both Clarke and Faulkner are fit, then Clarke in for Bailey and Faulkner in for Watto. That would be our strongest lineup imo. If Faulkner isn't ready yet, then it could go either way against Bangladesh. Keep Bailey who is coming into form and drop Watto, or keep Watto in the hope he can start to find form and drop Bailey. Hardly fair to George though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If both Clarke and Faulkner are fit, then Clarke in for Bailey and Faulkner in for Watto. That would be our strongest lineup imo. If Faulkner isn't ready yet, then it could go either way against Bangladesh. Keep Bailey who is coming into form and drop Watto, or keep Watto in the hope he can start to find form and drop Bailey. Hardly fair to George though.

Agreed. Dream team for the semi and final would be:

Warner
Finch
Clarke
Smith
Maxwell
M Marsh
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood

That gives you good bowling depth with the plan that guy get 30 overs out of Hazlewood, Starc and Johnson and then only need 20 from Marsh, Faulkner and Maxwell.

If one of the frontline bowlers struggles you can hopefully push more overs out of one of the all rounders.

I've been critical of Watson for pretty much his entire career but I think you risk a bit of a false economy against Bangladesh by dropping him for Bailey and needing to get 10 overs out of Maxwell, Smith, Finch and Clarke (and a full 10 from Marsh). It might work against a bad team but against a good team those 10 overs could easily cost you 100 if things go badly and you have to bowl them against batsmen who are scoring freely.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
BH, I agree with your post above but think you are not giving Maxwell's bowling enough credit. A 4 for- against the poms in the tri series and is generally tidy. A second option for that final few overs is more important in case of injury than Maxwell not being up to it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, I agree with your post above but think you are not giving Maxwell's bowling enough credit. A 4 for- against the poms in the tri series and is generally tidy. A second option for that final few overs is more important in case of injury than Maxwell not being up to it.

I think I have given Maxwell's bowling due credit. If you go back to previous posts I've been suggesting the whole way that Maxwell should be our first choice spinner and Doherty shouldn't make the side.

I just think you need to have some bowling flexibility because it can become very difficult to get 10 overs out of a bowler if they really cop some stick in their first few overs and they're not the sort of bowler that has the capability to be used during power plays and bowling at the death. Maxwell is one of those guys who will only really bowl in the middle overs and won't be used when the power play is on. If he has an off day and he's facing batsman who are really taking to him you can end up in lots of trouble if you still have to get him through a lot of overs (same goes with any of the similar all-rounder options really).

Status
Not open for further replies.