• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Finals predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

The Reds doing well will be totally dependant on their sick list, Slipper and Simmons this week adds to their fun

The Tahs won't have the cattle to beat the Blues away (the ful team would have been a strong chance), while the Crusaders will be challenged by the Sharks. Since the Crusaders lost Dagg & Maitland they haven't had that real threat at the back apart from Guildford.

I dunno. The Blues are pretty flakey and missing Ranger and Teoava(?). Tahs in great form and playing much better than when they last met.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Definitely hoping the Blues get up over the Waratahs next weekend for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm a QLD fan. It's the Tahs. Self explanatory really.
2. The main reason really, is that I feel a lot more comfortable playing the Blues in a semi than the Tahs.

Nope - I want the Tahs to win so we can beat them in the semi. Bring it on.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If the Tahs win every game from here then they'll be the CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!! Take that Qld!! :fishing

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If the Tahs win every game from here then they'll be the CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!! Take that Qld!! :fishing

Mate, see the fishing rod, but I just have to say: I find all this relentless, petty, sniping, obsessive bias, cat-calling, muck-racking, abusive, our-players-are-all-better-than-yours, our-team-is-truly-better-than-yours, our 6 is better than your 6, 'we really beat you (even though we lost)'..nonsense between some Tahs and Reds fans on this site:

- all of short-sighted, boring, typically puerile and stupid, ultimately demeaning of the person going on and on and on about it, and frankly after a while it just very badly detracts from enjoying what is mostly a bloody well run and constructive set of rugby boards here at GAGR.

Yes, let's have some fun and friendly rivalry within reason, but for the good of Australian rugby IMO it's rather sad that today this forum is not more filled with mutual generosity of spirit and a celebration that our code here has just got two solid teams into the top S15 6, and one as No 1 (and, yes, I'd be pleased if roles were reversed and No 1 was a Tahs or a Force, etc).

From where we have been in the last few years with S14 rugby, that is progress indeed! Would our code be better served if the Reds were deadbeats, and only the Tahs could ever scrape into the final 6, or vice versa? I don't think so. Would that be a better outcome for our RWC chances, I don't think so. Would that inspire more young people in our top rugby States to want to be inspired and play the game? I don't think so. Would that be a good outcome for badly needed rugby code $ income and commercial viability, I don't think so.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
From a neutral point of view, the makeup of the finals is as good as any of us could have hoped for 5 weeks ago. No Bulls who were seemingly hitting their stride and the Waratahs get to take on the Blues, who are easily the most flaky looking prospect out of the final 6 at the moment.

I'm praying (figuratively) for a Red V Tahs final.

2 years ago Australian Rugby was a laughing stock and the Saffas and Kiwis were smugly enjoying our dire straits. Even if one of the teams don't win it, going on our Super15 performance this year we are looking a much more genuine prospect at this years RWC, purely on the back of a new more experienced generation of rugby stars.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Mate, see the fishing rod, but I just have to say: I find all this relentless, petty, sniping, obsessive bias, cat-calling, muck-racking, abusive, our-players-are-all-better-than-yours, our-team-is-truly-better-than-yours, our 6 is better than your 6, 'we really beat you (even though we lost)'..nonsense between some Tahs and Reds fans on this site:

- all of short-sighted, boring, typically puerile and stupid, ultimately demeaning of the person going on and on and on about it, and frankly after a while it just very badly detracts from enjoying what is mostly a bloody well run and constructive set of rugby boards here at GAGR.

Yes, let's have some fun and friendly rivalry within reason, but for the good of Australian rugby IMO it's rather sad that today this forum is not more filled with mutual generosity of spirit and a celebration that our code here has just got two solid teams into the top S15 6, and one as No 1 (and, yes, I'd be pleased if roles were reversed and No 1 was a Tahs or a Force, etc).

From where we have been in the last few years with S14 rugby, that is progress indeed! Would our code be better served if the Reds were deadbeats, and only the Tahs could ever scrape into the final 6, or vice versa? I don't think so. Would that be a better outcome for our RWC chances, I don't think so. Would that inspire more young people in our top rugby States to want to be inspired and play the game? I don't think so. Would that be a good outcome for badly needed rugby code $ income and commercial viability, I don't think so.

Apologies, RH, my intended tone might not have come across. Saying "If the Tahs win every game from here then they'll be the CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!! Take that Qld!!" was meant to be inane and so self evident a statement as to show how stupid a lot of the comments have been recently.

For the record, I agree with your post completely.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
RedsHappy, fair enough - we might all take it a bit far at times. But really, for most of us, it is still just a bit of tongue in cheek fun. Plus, don't remember one of the big revenue earners for this rugby format is an increase in local derbies - so don't think that the Super Rugby adminstrators are disappointed if we all hate each other.

As a compromise, if the Tahs win next weekend and then beat Qld in the semi how about I agree to cheer for NSW while secretly hoping Phil Waugh gets KO'd.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm praying (figuratively) for a Red V Tahs final.

Reds v Tahs semifinal is much more likely.

Unless the Crusaders somehow manage to lose at home to a travelling Sharks outfit (who haven't been the most convincing team all season) then the Reds will be playing the winner of the Blues v Tahs game. While I'd be inclined to say the Blues are the favorite for this, I think the Tahs have a chance.

Depending on how the Reds go injury-wise, I'd be inclined to say it'll be a Reds/Stormers final. Perhaps Reds/Crusaders.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think the Reds have to be favourites here, simply because of home ground advantage. If Stormers finished top, I would place a large amount of money on them.
So from that I think the final will be Queensland vs Stormers

With Crusaders and Blues/Tahs losing in the semi's.

For Tahs fans I think they have a shot, but I can still remember Auckland shredding them to peices earlier in the year. But without Toeava and Rene Ranger they are completely different attacking wise.

The fact Queensland finished 1 and NSW made the finals with the injuries they had, has got to have shut up a lot of critics of the strength of Australian rugby.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
The fact Queensland finished 1 and NSW made the finals with the injuries they had, has got to have shut up a lot of critics of the strength of Australian rugby.

If you tally up the total points from each conference, we do come last by a fair margin. The critics do have some merit.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If you tally up the total points from each conference, we do come last by a fair margin.

Yes, but if we imagined ranking achievement points for the final S15 6 (what really counts in the end, to get into this group and where you rank there) were awarded 6-5-4-3-2-1 in descending order:

Australia final ranking achievement points: 8
SA: 6
NZ: 7

I say it again: this result, as of the end of the 18 rounds and no less than 16 games, is an excellent result for Australian rugby.

T

TOCC

And that has been their major criticism. It gives the top Australian teams easy points with the two home derbies.

QLD lost twice to Australian teams and scraped away with minimal BP's
QLD lost only once to a saffa or kiwi team, and in average, came away with more BP's..

The tahs on the other hand plundered the Australian conference for wins and BP's, whilst performed comparitively poorly against the foreign teams

Status
Not open for further replies.