• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
So, it doesn't get less painful? Do you just know the characters better? So far it's funny but not amazing. But it's consistently rated as the best comedy from the 2000's, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Like any show, it gets better as it goes along for the usual reasons - everything gets tighter, the writing develops a framework but becomes bolder within that framework. I mainly watched it on FTA TV back in the naughties so the episodes were spaced out. I'm not sure whether watching end-on-end Super Hans and Johnson would amplify or attenuate things.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just finished the first series of Mystery Road, delightful performances from Aaron Pedersen and Judy Davis, and some magnificent scenery from up Ord River way. On to series 2.

I watched both series on Iview, absolutely superb viewing. The cinematography so dam good.

Directed by Warwick Thornton - also did the movie Sweet Country

Aus drama at its best

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just had my first thought of the month; There's a reason the Hollywank celebs are so quiet over this civil rights rioting; ALLLLLLL of them seppo cop shows just got cancelled by the zeitgeist, baby.

NCIS, CSI, Chicago PD, Blue Bloods, all that shit just got rendered obsolete and shot in the motherfucking face by the real life actions of Officer Friendly. He is no longer the hero and neither are you, cop show shitheads.

They're going to have to rethink their whole "no, no, I'M the hero" industry. They're silent now cos it's like hitting the brakes on the QEII, the narrative is the hoary great fucker takes some time to turn around and right now all you can hear is the gear wheels turning in the Hollywanker screenwriter's heads...

"Wait, what, so you're trying to tell me the cop is the baddie? Let me just think about that for a while. I don't know if people will buy it".
"OK, ok, so how about Denzel as the goodie but he's the strong silent type as the leader of the protesters. He gently chides the violent black rioters and then we have some nazi cops....."
"Nope, you cannot do that, you cannot portray the police force as.....
"We fucking have to you idiot, have you seen the fucking streets lately? There's rioters ripping up Melrose Place and taking a dump in Barb Streisands fucking pool. OK, so Denzel as the hero activist and for the nazi cops we'll have grizzled vet Defoe, white power Ed Norton and the token sympathetic cuck, fuckit chuck a Mexican in there for the affirmative action cockwads. Of course, Defoe dies of the virus after a black looter spits in his face, that'll get us back onside with whitey....."

"Blue Bloods" starring ol Thomas Magnum? There are NO bleck cops in this charade of a tv show. And ZERO episodes about the heroic Italian-American honky cops actually killing blecks, which it turns out is their main job description and your average white american males' entire motivation for becoming a cop in the first fucking place; the opportunity to legally kill black people.

Fuck this tv show. Get real. Half the jackbooted cracker cops in JesusLand are obviously card-carrying clansmen. Every second episode of this pamphleteering cop enlistment conjob should be Magnum PI having to bail out another nazi pig for getting filmed lynching some poor crying bleck joker down by the docks. "Just don't get caught on camera next time, Donnie."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just finished watching the two seasons of Das Boot on SBS on Demand.

It's great! A mix between U-boats and the French resistance in La Rochelle (where the Nazis U-boats are based).

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Good to know BH, need some new shows to get me through this lockdown.

Ozark - fuck, why didn't I get onto this earlier. Amazing
Better Call Saul - gonna give the new series a whirl
Black Mirror - two shows in, and it hasn't ckicked yet. Guess I like to see character development, not jsut short stories.
Fauda - nice little bit of action, if yo ucan get over the horrible lip sync.
Money Heist - much the same as Fauta with respect to dubbing. Just finished S2, giving it a break for as bit, ebfore going back.
Strike back - is the new season out yet?
Secret City - we seem to do spy shows OK, wish they'd mak more of this.
Rake - just finished it, magnificent! Fucking hilarious how.
Line of Duty - anti-corruption cops in the UK, really well crafted story lines, great acting, plot twists a-penlty. Genuine gripping series.

I tried the Spy, but just couldn't get into it.

Thining of trying:
  • Trackers - out of SA. Is it any good?
  • The Wire - everyone raves about it, so jsut need to find it.

Anything else I should add to my list

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Treadstone
Really good concept, being set in the Jason Bourne universe. However I'm just not fucking interested in some of the personal story lines that try to flesh out characters in what is supposed to be a shooty action thing. The level of emotion from the CIA people is also mystifying - clearly none of them would pass a psych evaluation.
Season 1 on Amazon Prime now.

War Of the Worlds (2019)
This is the one currently on SBS with Gabriel Byrne, so you know the acting is good. It is 4 eps in and I'm loving it - you can really feel the French vibe (CANAL+ are involved) and I seriously got the heebie-jeebies at a few different points.

Carnival Row
Yeesh. Struggling with this one, having finished one episode that I watched in about 5 sittings because it was slooooooow. Hope it picks up.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Treadstone
going to give this one a burl sometime. Also heard very good things about Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy.

Also The Boys S2, back in business Sep 4.

Cyclo, you NEED to give "Succession" another crack. I command you. It is the best of the best.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
repub2.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
going to give this one a burl sometime. Also heard very good things about Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy.

Also The Boys S2, back in business Sep 4.

Cyclo, you NEED to give "Succession" another crack. I command you. It is the best of the best.
Are you secretly Gagger?