• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Kinross 7 Stannies 7 draw on a wet day. Stannies fullback missed a couple of attempts at penalty goal early, one from right in front
Thanks, Pedro ... maybe Kinross shouldn't have listen to my tip on going for penalty kicks, if they have gone for the tap or lineout they may have won :) On a serious note, would either coaching staff be happy with how their respective team went ? I know no one is ever happy about a draw.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
W-C-R, thats exactly what I was implying. Defence pattern lapses is one thing but some of the tackling technique was pretty poor when they played Oakhill last week as indicated by the 10 tries drubbing. But to be fair, the game was out of their reach by the 25th min so maybe if they are in the hunt, things maybe different this week at C'town. Be very interested to hear your views on the game next week. I sense this game has significance to the future of rugby at both schools.

The loss was disappointing but to be honest not too unexpected. I noted Greg's deficiencies in their game plan and general structure. Hopefully this will push them to finally start taking the game as seriously as they do their League and Cricket programs.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
While not disagreeing with Blindside that there was a lot of dropped ball in the Oakhill v Pats match yesterday the 6 tries to 1 victory by Oakhill was a pretty impressive display given the conditions. There were a couple of 'no try' decisions against Oakhill and Woodward didn't have his best day with the boot so the scoreline could easily have blown out further than 39 to 5.

To be honest, and at the risk of sounding like a bit like a tosser this early in the season, I think the ISA teams can be divided into 3 tiers: Gregs, Pius and Andrews are a long way off the pace and will be very unlikely to get a victory outside this cohort. Stannies, Kinross & Pats make up the middle tier and are playing for 3rd place - Kinross favoured to lead this group home but can't see any of these 3 getting close to Oakhill or Auggies.

Auggies deserve to be favourites for the title given they have swept everything before them year to date. However, (and perhaps it is a big however) Oakhill have a number of more than handy players in their team and they are playing with an increased sense of structure and discipline as each week goes by. Many of the players are still hurting after surrendering a 50th minute lead against Auggies last year - their match up in July will decide the 2012 ISA title.

The July encounter against Augustines will likely mean more to the Oakhill players after the ISA squad assembled for their first training session today. All 8 Oakhill reps are in the 2nds team, while the 1sts team is essentially the Auggies team. Have no idea as to whether selection policy was to keep players from the same schools in the same teams to increase cohesiveness or whether there is a firm view that the Augustines players are, without exception, the best players in the competition. Would be interested to get the insights of others.......

T

tacklearoundthelegs

St pats are unfortunate to lose their first few games due to injury and changes. I can guarentee they will be undefeated from now until the end of 2013 when they will win ISA. Mark my words.

The Door

Frank Row (1)
No. 9

Just because some one plays for a bad side doesn't mean they are not deserving of an ISA 1st XV jumper. Whilst I agree that some of the Oakhill players should have made the side its ridiculous to say because someone is in a bad side they shouldn't play, what would've happened with Hooper and Luke Jones when they were playing if they picked a side by this criteria? being in an ISA 2's side doesnt neccesarrily mean you'll miss out on nsw selection either...

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
St Andrews defeated Greg's 29-24 but the game wasn't that close. Great tight stuff from Andrews with no.3 Talanoa having an outstanding game aswell as No.1 and 8 from Andrews. In the backs for Andrews no.9 and 15 had good games aswell. Huge improvement over last week

The loss was disappointing but to be honest not too unexpected. I noted Greg's deficiencies in their game plan and general structure. Hopefully this will push them to finally start taking the game as seriously as they do their League and Cricket programs.

My spies at Campbelltown tell me that Gregs had a few of their top players rested, and the weather was terrible, so they still could surprise on a dry day at full strength.

The wet weather would have suited the Andrews forward oriented game, but same spy tells me that they almost lost the game with Gregs storming home with two tries in the last few minutes and very nearly a third try to draw/win the game.

How did the Auggies boys go in the rain at Oxford Falls? Would it have been a real cricket score if it was dry?

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Kinross 7 Stannies 7 draw on a wet day. Stannies fullback missed a couple of attempts at penalty goal early, one from right in front

A draw is a bit like kissing your mother in law. Would the score have been much different if it was a dry track?

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Rugby tears and big size with thin thighs, Kinross missed zero attempts at goal kicks because they were given zero opportunity by Stannies to take any. Stannies fullback missed 3 attempts at penalty goal all easy, one on the 20 from right in front, Mitch Green (fullback) kicks on the ball point not my prefered way and much less effective in rain & wet. As I predicted Kinross loaded up their backline for their winger to score in the left corner and did besause Stannies backs did not cover their wing by numbering up in their backs. Yes dry weather would have advantaged Stannies with two elusive wingers and as I knew the only time Stannies put it straight out to their winger they stormed in for a try. I think it was very fairly refereed by Peter Reid he put both his sons through Kinross and is a very well respected extremely fit ref who was nominated and supplied by central west rugby and he is always right on the scene

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
I like your optimism. The game at Oakhill was the worst Pats have played this season. I am not going to mention names or numbers but anyone who was there knows that some players were totally distracted and off their game whilst a few stuck with it to the end and I say "Cheers" to them because it must have been tough out there. Oakhill have a very talented team and I believe they have a more than good chance of winning the ISA this year. Disappointing to read that they have missed out on ISA firsts positions because in my opinion they are more than deserving.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I like your optimism. The game at Oakhill was the worst Pats have played this season. I am not going to mention names or numbers but anyone who was there knows that some players were totally distracted and off their game whilst a few stuck with it to the end and I say "Cheers" to them because it must have been tough out there. Oakhill have a very talented team and I believe they have a more than good chance of winning the ISA this year. Disappointing to read that they have missed out on ISA firsts positions because in my opinion they are more than deserving.

Pat's put up a huge fight against Auggies the week before with some great online defense. They must have thought they were in with a good chance to defeat them. Perhaps this psychological blow also played a factor.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No.9

Your post might have some merit if you could nominate the Oakhill kids and rationalise while they would be a better selection, rather than just bleat that is unfair that all the other selectors don't see whatever it is that you see.
From the trials, the fullback was unlucky. maybe I would have picked the 8 as well, only because of size not on his performance. There were a couple more on the cusp.
Seems you are more worried that Augustines kids were picked, which just comes across as petty.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Crofty, gidday, agree about the three tiers but I think from what I read Andrews, Stannies Kinross and Pats are close in with a chance, which is good for the comp, can't see Kinross as leaders as long as the ref is awake up see some of the antics of the odd player of theirs (pulling down players over the ruck to get a penalty against the other side. Kinross are a very good team and can win that foursome playoff, but so can the other 3 teams. Andrews may have players who deserve a rep jersey ? Could be possible with a squad injury ?

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well an eventful weekend was had by all.. a draw, a disappointment, a predictable result and a close game ... and then on top of that the announcement of ISA teams .....

I did get to watch the Oakhill v Pats game to see if it would live up to the hype. Unfortunately conditioins were not favorable for this to happen. I felt that while I believe Pats will be a force in the next year or so I think that they were physically out muscled by a bigger forward pack and were hesitatnt to take on Oakhill in the backline (Which in itself is not small) spending most of the day kicking the ball away. While wet weather would normally dictate this as a reasonable thing to do, apart from a few excellent tactical kicks, there was no real purpose in the kicks. I thought the real issue was a reluctance to take on Oakhill in the physical stuff and have made previous remarks regarding the big step up in the first year to opens rugby. Next year I think Pats will be in the same position as Oakhill is this year with many bigger, stronger returners.

The ISA selections again cause grief amongst the forum ... I do not agree with the selection of predominantly one school in any representative side but with only one training session, combinations become important and with a large volume of players from two schools it does make sense. However misguided by selectors this may be, they need to stick with the combo's and make changes from there. Augustine's has had a good few years over a number of years and only time will tell if they are as good this year and deserve their dominance..

Also remember.. this is schoolboys with teachers coaching and there is a huge difference here when it comes to succeeding after school. And before I get shouted at about the next comment, I will preface it saying that this applies to school teams and rep teams and I am not casting any aspersions here by the way... but remember as in life, it is easy to get given a red carpet ride but when that red carpet is taken away after school the ride finishes you become a little fish in a big pond .... so at the end of the day it really matters what you do once the ride is over.....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The 3 players who should have been picked are the 2,4 and 7 while the 8 and 13 are also worthy. The No2 has since broken a hand and is unavailable while the 13 couldn't trial due to injury (although this didn't stop the Stannies player getting selected). The No 8 is more of a 2nd rower but if I'm going up against CHS I'd want a bit of size. The 4 and 7 are the two ommissions that really stink though.
Interesting that you do not include Cotton who I considered the unluckiest of the Oakhill boys. All this seems reasonable to me, however you are underestimating Phillips.
I know nothing about the Stannies kid that was preferred.
I agree with you that some of the size that your guys offer is needed in this next level.It is certainly unusual to get 11 into the rep side, when many of these selections were 50/50 calls.
Regarding your other post about Papa's influence...I am not being cute, but how can his voice carry so much weight with so many other selectors involved?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Fellows - no more posts about politics or bias in selections in this thread whether your views are right or wrong. We have seen a good example here of how a thread can be hjacked.

It is an interesting topic and should be discussed by those who are interested in it; but not in this thread.

Please do so in this thread.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...d-bias-gold-squads-unfairness-etc.8261/page-4

By all means you can leave a message on this thread that you have a complaint about ISA selections on the 'politics and bias' thread. Provide a link.

Just to revisit what I wrote on the other thread (in post #77:

It's getting to that time of year when selections are discussed and the subject of bias, politics and unfairness rears its ugly head.

People who write on these matters have some very good points but such posts and, equally, the responses to them, can get emotional. A thread can be ruined like this and the virus can hop from thread to thread as protagonists delight in making speeches in as many threads as they can.

That may be over the top, but, whatever, it is better for the health of a forum to isolate contentious issues to their own thread.

Therefore, like last year, we request that posts on the matters in the title of this thread be discussed in this thread only. Any posts on these matters in other threads will be deleted.

Likewise, any posts that have content that includes these matters mixed in with other content will be deleted; so please take care so as not to waste your time.

Thank you

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting that you do not include Cotton who I considered the unluckiest of the Oakhill boys. All this seems reasonable to me, however you are underestimating Phillips.
I know nothing about the Stannies kid that was preferred.
I agree with you that some of the size that your guys offer is needed in this next level.It is certainly unusual to get 11 into the rep side, when many of these selections were 50/50 calls.
Regarding your other post about Papa's influence...I am not being cute, but how can his voice carry so much weight with so many other selectors involved?

Apparently the questions you asked can't be answered here so ill move it to the bias thread.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My spies at Campbelltown tell me that Gregs had a few of their top players rested, and the weather was terrible, so they still could surprise on a dry day at full strength.

The wet weather would have suited the Andrews forward oriented game, but same spy tells me that they almost lost the game with Gregs storming home with two tries in the last few minutes and very nearly a third try to draw/win the game.

How did the Auggies boys go in the rain at Oxford Falls? Would it have been a real cricket score if it was dry?

Yeah, it began to bucket down about an hour before the game and kept it up pretty much until game time. They're definitely a dry track team, they lack the forward size and nous to adapt to wet weather Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.