• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
ISA can take a leaf out of GPS book, Kings get their players to the correct fitness for their position. GPS rep coaches get the right size players for positions and get their moves worked out, many of those moves come from league.

ISA would be hardpressed organising you know what in a brothel let alone getting close to the GPS program for representative rugby. In a year that promised a lot they managed to cock up the program from day one and I'd say that one persons influencial say played a part in getting the 5 players selected from the association over the line on the form shown in the trial games.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So tell me about the GPS program, WTF do they do?
They select 3 teams, because of their depth the I's are automatic selections, and the majority of the II's as well.
My mother in law could make most of the I's picks, and she is half blind and never watched Rugby before she had a grandkids.
So where is their value add, as opposed to the ISA?

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
So tell me about the GPS program, WTF do they do?
They select 3 teams, because of their depth the I's are automatic selections, and the majority of the II's as well.
My mother in law could make most of the I's picks, and she is half blind and never watched Rugby before she had a grandkids.
So where is their value add, as opposed to the ISA?

GPS
  • selectors attend school games to assess players in their team environment
  • announce teams close to match
  • training sessions in week of trial matches
  • 6 schools whose arrogance over selection rights are ignored in the name of common sense
  • trial game against CAS played midweek
ISA
  • Ridiculous trial system conducted in a biased manner towards 1 school
  • Selection panel consisting of people with the same rugby credentials as your mother in law
  • oversubscription of 2nd division players at trials
  • selections weeks in advance of trials week
  • training session weeks before match week
  • CHS game played day after competition game
  • 1 school whose arrogance over selection rights should have been ignored in the name of common sense but weren't and was exposed
I hope your mother in law is available as an ISA selector next year as she is eminently suitable to the position.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
GPS
  • selectors attend school games to assess players in their team environment
  • announce teams close to match
  • training sessions in week of trial matches
  • 6 schools whose arrogance over selection rights are ignored in the name of common sense
  • trial game against CAS played midweek
ISA
  • Ridiculous trial system conducted in a biased manner towards 1 school
  • Selection panel consisting of people with the same rugby credentials as your mother in law
  • oversubscription of 2nd division players at trials
  • selections weeks in advance of trials week
  • training session weeks before match week
  • CHS game played day after competition game
  • 1 school whose arrogance over selection rights should have been ignored in the name of common sense but weren't and was exposed
Hey can Watch‘s mother law help out organising ISA rep selection and coaching next year we might be better off having a a granny who has little trouble with both eyes rather than one eyed guys

I hope your mother in law is available as an ISA selector next year as she is eminently suitable to the position.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
They turn up next year wearing their NSW & Aussie socks & come up against some unknown islander kid & get a real wakeup call reality hits hard & lots of schoolboy to be next Christian Cullens never go anywhere

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't someone from that rugby powerhouse Chevalier College make it to NSW1 a year or two back? Halfback I think he was, IIRC.
Black in 2010 I think

And another one from Chev that may be destined for higher honours....
U16 NSW Schools Team announced in Telegraph today lists C Davidson - Chevalier.

According to the Knox COLLEGE Grammar School programme, this lad is Connor Davidson and a Prop (#1 in the programme).

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Guys I think we are a being a bit hard on the ISA 2nd Division rep players. I mean, if we didnt entertain the right of guys in Div 2 to trial for ISA etc, then we wouldn't have had the joy of Matt Dunnings scrum meltdowns in 2005, and of course his famous field-goal-when-needing-a-try for the waratahs. He came from the rugby powerhouse that is Northholme Grammar through the then Div 2 program .

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No one says div 2 should be excluded.
Most say there should be a better filter in place to ensure that those that turn up have a reasonable chance of selection.
The idea that div 2 have an earlier selection trial, to whittle down the numbers for the full ISA trial has merit IMO.

O

Oaks

The ideal size in the past for an under 18 prop is 100 kg +- 8 kg, and can run 40 m in 5.9 secs.
Examlpe: Liam Berry is about 110 kg but has spent too much time on heavy weights, and not enough on agility and sprints and olympic lifts, so he is too slow but is very strong in scrums.
This can be corrected with a good sprint and agility coach, changing his training technique and using to Asics Warno 11 boots with appropriate sprigs on grounds like Narrabeen: he played ISA 11 on Friday.
ISA has many larger props than the ones they selected this year. My best pick in the front row Rory (Auggies) he is quick powerful but lacks a bit of umph in scrums which can be found in a prop like Liam Berry. It's ideal for a prop to be 100+kg and still be mobile. Example of that is probably one of the Largest props in the ISA competitions Talanoa(Andrews) Don't know his first name but I've seen him play in previous rep sides and he would of been a great pick in any ISA side. I've seen him out run an inside centre and still he carries about 120+ kg from the looks of it. He is quick ,mobile,VeryStrong and a great scrummaging machine. There are also many other guys like him who missed out and deserved that ISA JERSEY. A prop cannot afford to be small there are many great props in ISA but selectors are blind in selecting the best as I saw at the games Our packs suffered against the size of CHS. Who had another prop similar to Talanoa. Who is playing nsw schools at the moment.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi Oaks.. I think you should get your Oakhill inside centre to work as a prop. certainly has the build for it :) I would like to see him move into there at some stage and colts may be his foray into the world of pigs if he plays on.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Hi Oaks.. I think you should get your Oakhill inside centre to work as a prop. certainly has the build for it :) I would like to see him move into there at some stage and colts may be his foray into the world of pigs if he plays on.

And then all the other No12's could sleep easily at night. I think he's best left right where he is thanks.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agree, he was unlucky not to have been called in to the ISA I's.
I thought he played well in the NSW trials.
Everyone knew what he was going to do, before he did it. But they still had trouble stopping him from doing it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I know it is slightly tongue in cheek, but it could be taken out of context.

The development from a fleet footed and gifted back to the dark world of the front row Rugby Player can not be dismissed as lightly as you suggest.

The actual pathway takes many years to develop and perfect the necessary skills, and it is generally accomplished in several stages, typically to a #6 or #7 role for a while, thence to a #8, and finally via 2 to a 1 or 3.

Meanwhile while the lad is fit, fast and intimidating leave him out in the backs. Plenty of piggies around who do not have these attributes, but are already several stages ahead of this lad on the path towards Rugby nirvana AKA the Front Row.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Haha .. the pathway to Nirvana...I think we have all been there and have the knees and back to prove it!!And yes, while slightly tongue in cheek, in todays game a big, fast, ballplayer with a classic front row build has a few salivating on what may be ;)

I do agree that the intimidation factor works quite well at school level and I am sure some parents of a few 12's will also sleep better if their sons never face up against him....

So we are heading into probably the biggest round of the season.. and after watching ISA run around, it will be an interesting game between Augustines and Oakhill. I think that Augustines will want to play a kicking game and keep the ball away from the inside backs as much as possible and turn the bigger Oakhill forwards and backs around.... for Oakhill to win, it needs to be played out a little wider and they need to shut down the offload of Augustines taking the fitness factor out of the equation.

Just my uneducated initial musings....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If these boards are to be believed there will be some points to prove from both sides in the Augies v Oakhill game.

Augies boys have to prove that they made the ISA I's on merit.
The Oakhill boys who made ISA II will be out to demonstrate how wrong the ISA selectors were, and that they would have made a positive difference to the CAS v ISA I scoreline.

Could either be an absolute belter of a game, or a bloody templated boreathon. Not sure that there will be any middle ground.

Too early to have any idea, but the weather may play an important factor in this showdown.

Too lazy to look it up but does this also double as a Waratah Shield game?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Haha .. the pathway to Nirvana.I think we have all been there and have the knees and back to prove it!!And yes, while slightly tongue in cheek, in todays game a big, fast, ballplayer with a classic front row build has a few salivating on what may be ;)

I do agree that the intimidation factor works quite well at school level and I am sure some parents of a few 12's will also sleep better if their sons never face up against him..

So we are heading into probably the biggest round of the season.. and after watching ISA run around, it will be an interesting game between Augustines and Oakhill. I think that Augustines will want to play a kicking game and keep the ball away from the inside backs as much as possible and turn the bigger Oakhill forwards and backs around.. for Oakhill to win, it needs to be played out a little wider and they need to shut down the offload of Augustines taking the fitness factor out of the equation.

Just my uneducated initial musings..
If Auggies play a kicking game it will be the first time in 6 years they have. They will keep ball in hand and run Oakhill off their feet.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
My apologies I should be clearer in my intent with that comment.. Augustines will play a forwards game with the offload being the key but they will not take on the backline due to a pretty good defence .... so kick it over their heads shallow or deep and use their pace....

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
If these boards are to be believed there will be some points to prove from both sides in the Augies v Oakhill game.

Augies boys have to prove that they made the ISA I's on merit.
The Oakhill boys who made ISA II will be out to demonstrate how wrong the ISA selectors were, and that they would have made a positive difference to the CAS v ISA I scoreline.

Could either be an absolute belter of a game, or a bloody templated boreathon. Not sure that there will be any middle ground.

Too early to have any idea, but the weather may play an important factor in this showdown.

Too lazy to look it up but does this also double as a Waratah Shield game?

Only point to prove is winning the game. Boys have moved on from the silly season and are looking forward. Teams are in opposite sides of the Waratah shield draw, but it would make a good final if they meet.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Heard that Oakhill 1's towelled up Waverly today in a trial. Anyone have any details?
Score was about 38 - nil. 6 tries, 4 conversions or thereabouts. Forwards were very dominant - one of the tries was a brilliant 20 m rolling maul - pretty to watch!
Waverly very disjointed in both attack & defence - not sure how many of their regular 1st XV players were on the park but if it was two thirds or more of their 1s they shouldn't be troubling too many sides in the remaining CAS matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.