• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Would be a good place for him to get back into Rugby. Plenty of mature players and current studs. Don’t think he’d be looked at to do something right now like he would at others.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
so are we saying he's a centre? Who needs one most? It's probably the Brumbies isn't it?
I'd say so, unless there is some Raiders player desperate to come to rugby but stay in Canberra (lol) it's probably the best fit for him.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I am still not a fan of this strategy. Sign one good player or put money in to a third tier and further develop 20 good players and all the under 20s who choose to stick around. Not to mention the womens game.

If we are going to go all out on just trying to win our home world cup through quick signings then the future of the game is not going to be any stronger after and someone else will be left to pick up the pieces.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I am still not a fan of this strategy. Sign one good player or put money in to a third tier and further develop 20 good players and all the under 20s who choose to stick around. Not to mention the womens game.

If we are going to go all out on just trying to win our home world cup through quick signings then the future of the game is not going to be any stronger after and someone else will be left to pick up the pieces.

The question probably becomes where is that money coming from. There has been repeated (but unsourced) suggestion here, reddit, the website formerly known as twitter etc. that this isn't a pot of RAs money, but sourced from companies and individuals who're interested in directly invested in securing the signing of a player. If that's the case, it's not theirs to reallocate $750,000 a year into 10-15 Junior contracts or whatever.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Interestingly the smh has the tahs with no knowledge of the talks, whether that means Rugby Australia are lining up a different destination or that they just want to get him in the game and work out where later it's not clear:
Makes sense really, the Tahs already have options at 12 (which is the position I'd be playing him at). If this is all true then I'd be moving heaven and earth to get him to the Rebels, they have a glut of 13's but no real stand out at 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was worried when this story surfaced over the weekend that it was going to be the Tahs who definitely don't need him.

Glad that it seems unlikely they are chasing him.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)

Why not both … Nrl does

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
A high profile NRL convert coming to Canberra? It will never happen. It'll be Tahs or Rebels

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

We don’t need a third tier. We need a proper professional set up. Five teams are just not enough

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That 5 teams do not provide adequate opportunities. Why do we lose kids out of the pathways to league? Because there are greater opportunities to go professional, why do we lose young players to Japan? Same reason

it’s not simply opportunity though. That’s certainly a factor but there’s other variables that means Rugby is missing the cream of the crop for young talent that expanding ‘opportunities’ won’t solve.

It’s the pay, it’s professionalism of the organisations on offer, its facilities/pathways
/programs and opportunity that is been offered, and it’s also the allure of playing in a competition(NRL) that offers 50x more exposure for young players.

The top tier 18 year olds players are getting >$300k contracts to sign with NRL clubs. In Rugby that’s money reserved for top tier Super Rugby players. Jack Howarth was considered best rugby schoolboy in QLD in 2020, he was signed by Storm as a teenager and is on a $500k per annum contract out to 2027, he has only played 1 NRL game.