• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Still moaning plastic. Put the chips away now they re here. The Tarmac boys in the squad are playing out of their skins. Sexton is going to be #1 outside half in world by the end of this tour and as we predicted poc is back in awesome form. Heaslip at his best. Still think cementhead's only real gaffe was not picking poc as captain. Having Sam the breadman limits options for back row selection changes
It is not what the Irish lads are doing now that concerns me it is the state they will be in in six months time. Should think there will be another rake of injuries in today's game, crazy.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've never been to a game in Sydney but that's the stereotype anyway as I've heard it. Reds fans tend to make plenty of noise (well I certainly do) but I just hope there's no booing tonight - I hate that shit. This is a friendly and should be a great game hopefully. With any luck the crowd will treat it as a friendly and get into the spirit of it.
Shouting for Wales in Sydney gets greeted by someone telling me to go and watch rl if u want to shout like that

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Tonights game against the Reds I think will be the most thrilling game we will get to see on this tour in terms of the actual Rugby played. If Foley was playing for the Tahs I would have loved to have seen what they could have done against the BIL but his loss plus so many from the pack will essentially hobble whatever they could put out. I have no doubt the blokes that come in will do their best but it will be a very hard ask for many of them who have got very limited if any Super Rugby time.

I certainly do not expect the Wallabies to put on a game such as the Reds did, and instead they will try to out muscle and minimise the chances of the Lions. the problem I see is I do not think the Wallabies have the set pieces to do this and the Lions kickers are just far far better than any of the Wallabies. If it comes down to kicking the Lions will win and the Lions to my eye will have far much more in structured attack.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Tonights game against the Reds I think will be the most thrilling game we will get to see on this tour in terms of the actual Rugby played. If Foley was playing for the Tahs I would have loved to have seen what they could have done against the BIL but his loss plus so many from the pack will essentially hobble whatever they could put out. I have no doubt the blokes that come in will do their best but it will be a very hard ask for many of them who have got very limited if any Super Rugby time.

I certainly do not expect the Wallabies to put on a game such as the Reds did, and instead they will try to out muscle and minimise the chances of the Lions. the problem I see is I do not think the Wallabies have the set pieces to do this and the Lions kickers are just far far better than any of the Wallabies. If it comes down to kicking the Lions will win and the Lions to my eye will have far much more in structured attack.

I think you're mad if you think the Wallabies aren't going to play with speed and use players like Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), etc to play up-tempo. They'll definitely play with more structure than the Reds and wont chance their arm as much but I cant see them playing set piece rugby.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
On the QLD vs BIL tonight, OFarrell suspected stomping charge? Strange for foxsports to show only one replay of Ben Lucas head incident - clearly showing OFarrell stepping in (deliberately?) the area of where Lucas head may have been... hmmmm p.s. JHansen fans must be disappointed with his throwing totally off tonight but overall well played Reds!!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I never said they would play set piece Rugby. They will play risk averse Rugby. They will rarely if ever run from their half, let alone 22. They will kick and defend. They will play the one out forward runner and 12 to "hit it up". They will play with far more structure and that is fine, the reds would have as well if they had a lineout or scrum. To say they will play up tempo, well we haven't seen that for the last two years, and the signs are that we wont get it this year either on the basis of the selections of the squad.

My argument about why Cooper hasn't been selected is all based around the fact that the game plan just doesn't fit with how Cooper plays and his skill set. If the Wallabies attempt to play a wide passing game anything like the Reds employ, or the Tahs this year for that matter and they don't have Cooper playing 10 well that is just as demented.

I think you're mad if you think the game plan we have seen since the RWC is up tempo, just because they can clear the ball from the ruck quickly every now and then.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
On the QLD vs BIL tonight, OFarrell suspected stomping charge? Strange for foxsports to show only one replay of Ben Lucas head incident - clearly showing OFarrell stepping in (deliberately?) the area of where Lucas head may have been. hmmmm p.s. JHansen fans must be disappointed with his throwing totally off tonight but overall well played Reds!!

I'll be interested to see if anything comes of it - did't look great on the one replay.

Think the lineout calling was a bit ordinary as well, think AWH was calling it? Didn't help Chibba's cause either.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, agree on Bowe. Looked way more dangerous than Cuthbert.

Lions starting to look like a casualty ward already.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Great game. Loved it. Saw the best and worst of cooper. Thought foxy Davies was great tonight and warbs got better and better. L idiot was a tackling machine again.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
So it's ok to support home team. Interesting but alien idea
Sorry, that's not what I was suggesting. You can cheer for who you like, I was suggesting your language was coarse in reference to your RL comment.

But if thats not the case, you're welcome to tell me to go fuck myself ;)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Looks like this Lions tour is panning out as terribly as I feared although hopefully Healy and Bowe are not on the Ferris scale of injury. Sexton looked a bit tender in the hamstring area as well. Fucking madness to only have two out halfs in the squad, Sexton has to be involved in ten games in five weeks, beyond crazy. Farrell is crap as well which doesn't help. Hope they call up Ashton, he will do wonders for morale!?! If they call up Zebo I will punch something.

mattcrfc

Frank Row (1)
it will very interesting to how the next couple of games affect the squad through injuries.

thoroughly enjoyable game today. set pieces, as expected, looked pretty solid but very concern with the lions ability to control the ruck, alot of turnover and on too many occasions completely cleaned out with lack of bodies in support.

loved the red approach to the game. made for great viewing, morahan's try was stunning - has to be considered a real contender for a starting spot hasn't he on that performance?? the cover tackles were incredibly impressive.

diappointed in warburton's performance which will make it very interesting for the test squad. SOB and tipuric i think are shoe in's at this stage (hoping)

farrell i struggle with and would prefer sexton, he has a much stronger all round game and with halfpenny taking the penalties i think thats 10 and 15 nailed on. youngs was impressive but can't see him at this stage removing phillips. north was impressive, fabulous running and i'd like to see him taking ball from the offload, with BOD, from tuilagi. bowe's tour over is a massive loss - cuthbert was exposed time and again.

cannot wait for tuesday, have to make my excuses in work again and find a bar with a tv

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Bowe a huge loss for the lions, Cuthberts defensive contribution woeful.
Corbisero and Grant fill in very nicely for Jenkins and Healy, I don't think we have anyone with bows class to call on.

Status
Not open for further replies.