• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I know Joeys have U15As representing NSW at Woollahra Oval
NSW 1: Henry Roberts, Paddy Burns, Johnny Chan and Sam Taber

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
What legacy did he leave at Grammar?
He should get more $$$ from Newington. He did a good job at Gordon with zero cattle I recall.
Wish him all the best.
Lachlan comes with a great deal of Black & White in his system. An Old Boy of the College and a former 1st XV Coach he knows his way around the school.Unlike Grammar he will find a great more talent to work with, over the coming years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What legacy did he leave at Grammar?
He should get more $$$ from Newington. He did a good job at Gordon with zero cattle I recall.
Wish him all the best.

From what IS said before he left us, Fear pretty much held the rugby program together at Grammar with not much support from some parents.

The job doesn't pay that well unless he is a teacher - it's about 50% of a teacher wage with hours to match.

I suspect he'll find a more receptive community at Newington to rugby than he did at Grammar.

EDIT: And he won't be the 1st XV coach - that was specifically noted in the job advert. His job will be to design and implement a coaching programme from Prep through to 1st XV.

And I should add that I thought that Ben Manion did a great job in his 3 years in the role.

Essential that Rob Egerton stays with the 13As as this has reaped rewards in the past 2 seasons.

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
Wondering why Ben Manion didn’t get his contract extended all accounts he did a job or did he?
Maybe the implementation of a coaching program is what’s missing at Newington

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wondering why Ben Manion didn’t get his contract extended all accounts he did a job or did he?
Maybe the implementation of a coaching program is what’s missing at Newington

Unknown. From my observations when he arrived the focus was pretty much on the 1sts only and in the three years that he has been there there has been both an increase in the number of boys playing rugby and a significant improvement in results going down through the age groups and grades. It's still a work in progress, and perhaps with another 3 years he might have been able to complete the process.

The advertisement did say that they preferred an applicant who was a teacher - which Lachlan Fear is - rather than just a stand-alone director of rugby. Lachlan Fear also is very well qualified for the role and is also and old boy, which wouldn't have hurt. By all accounts he's done a fantastic job at Grammar where rugby is very much a minor sport these days.

I would have been very happy for Ben Manion to have been appointed for another three years, but I'm also more than happy with someone of the calibre of Lachlan Fear. As a school teacher he'll be a full-time staff member and I like that model.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Probably not, the schools will be keeping their cards close to their chest with the times. I see Joeys very early on Saturday morning in the single sculls. I believe Joeys will have at least 3 athletes selected in the GPS 8

Do we have any results from any internal sculling regattas

Do you guys realise that there is a separate thread for rowing?

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/2019-school-rowing.18411/#post-1037771

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Congratulations to the following boys selected from GPS for the two NSW 7s squads announced for the 2018 National Youth Championships in December (?).

16 GPS boys in total across 5 schools; 5 Joeys, 3 Scots, 3 Riverview, 3 Kings, 2 Newington.

By comparison (as far as I can determine) CAS have 6, CCC 3, ISA 2, AICES 2 and CHS 1

Tom Aveyard
The Scots College, Bellevue Hill
Dally Bird
St Ignatius' College, Riverview
Nicholas Chan
St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill
George Clark
Hamish Cressey
Ben Dalton
Ben Dowling
Emery Jolliffe
Tolu Koula
Newington College, Stanmore
Jack Mossman
Dan O’Brien
Viliami Penisini
The King's School, North Parramatta
Jack Ricci
Joseph Sua'ali'i
Kaeo Weekes
Newington College, Stanmore
Jordan Williams

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone know which of these boys competing in U16 National Champs are at AAGPS Schools ?
View attachment 10297View attachment 10298

yeah kings had angus fahey, joey vitanza, william penisini
view had dally bird and hamish cressey
scots had dylan hansen
newington would have had a few boys but they had to go on an overseas tour
joeys had byron sutherland zeb maddison angus websdale ben kearny ben dowling and max dominello

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Brad Gill moving to Cranbrook employment-wise and will coach the 1sts there in 2019.

He leaves Newington as one of its most successful 1st XV Coaches. With Premierships in 2010,2012,2013 and 2015. If he can reproduce these results at Cranbrook, they can look forward to some excellent 1st XVs over the coming years. A strong Cranbrook will be an excellent addition, to Schoolboy Rugby in Australia.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Andrew Blades appointed new Director of Rugby at Joeys.
Actually he is the very first as this role has never existed before.
Wasn't he coaching at Scots in 2018?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
He leaves Newington as one of its most successful 1st XV Coaches. With Premierships in 2010,2012,2013 and 2015. If he can reproduce these results at Cranbrook, they can look forward to some excellent 1st XVs over the coming years. A strong Cranbrook will be an excellent addition, to Schoolboy Rugby in Australia.

He replaces Andrew Cleverley. Cranbrook has a successful Director Sport, CJ Torrance, who I am told was very successful in "attracting" amazing athletes to Scots. I am sure he will provide Gill with some good players to work with as the CAS schools have none of those annoying anti-sports scholarship rules to get round. Wish him all the best.

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
Andrew Blades appointed new Director of Rugby at Joeys.
Actually he is the very first as this role has never existed before.
Wasn't he coaching at Scots in 2018?

Andrew Blades was the scrummaging coach for scots and then co-coached the forwards for the 1sts

Status
Not open for further replies.