• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PIES - Steak or Mince?

Pie preference

• Steak

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Mince

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Chunky meat pies are the only way to go. My spare rib occasionally makes pies at home (her father was a baker and left her many sets of pie tins) and she has to make mince for her and chunky for me. Her home made pies are to die for.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Chunky meat pies are the only way to go. My spare rib occasionally makes pies at home (her father was a baker and left her many sets of pie tins) and she has to make mince for her and chunky for me. Her home made pies are to die for.
there was an old Afrikaans saying when I was young, any mans heart went through his stomach. These days its all about underneath the ladys clothing. Tradisionally she was measure pie wise , venison, sheppard and chicken. Our chicken pie obvious had a lot of chicken, with frog eggs (sago), bacon and mushrooms. Not the chicken pie you get these days where its more sauce and get the chicken and win a Nissan. Cottage Pie obvious with 90% mince and a splash of mash (the real one).

P

Piggyspies

A spare rib pie would be the best. Yeh ok if you come and say your from the green and gold forums well do you a deal $1 off a steak or mince pies. But maybensome type of wager on the winner to.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I haven't had a pie of any description in 9 months. It's killing me. Hitting the bakery will be one of the first things I do when I'm back in Australia.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought the consensus on Harry's pies were that the mushy peas are better than the pie itself.

Anyway, I am a fan of lamb shank pies - in particular the lamb shank pie from Black Star Pastry in Newtown, Sydney. Favourite Sunday lunch of mine - but recently it's become very popular and now there's queues out the door :(

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
We were driving back from Melbourne the other week and called into the Culcairn Bakery and they had some sensational selections there. The curry pie is a cracker.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Muzza's Pies are great, been going there for ages.

personally, mince at night, steak during the day.

This is making me really hungry.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
We were driving back from Melbourne the other week and called into the Culcairn Bakery and they had some sensational selections there. The curry pie is a cracker.

Drove thru that town on Friday, will check it out when I go thru it again in a couple weeks' time...

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On the northern end of Kangaroo Valley, about 3km from the bridge on the road up and out to Bowral, there's a pie shop with a claim (big sign on a pole), "world's best pies". They're good, very good, with proper flaky pastry and a plaited decorative rim. Chunky ones, too (the best!). The owner wholesales them to others around the greater Sydney region; I found them years ago at the Gardners Inn pub in Blackheath, now I know where they come from. They've also got fruit pies.

One of life's simple pleasures, a pie and drink on the front table taking in the magnificent eastern view from the shop's verandah.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All this talk of gournet pies is well and good but for a basic "industrial strength" tradies meat pie, it is hard to go past House of Pi in Matraville, next to the Matto Pub.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
On the northern end of Kangaroo Valley, about 3km from the bridge on the road up and out to Bowral, there's a pie shop with a claim (big sign on a pole), "world's best pies". They're good, very good, with proper flaky pastry and a plaited decorative rim. Chunky ones, too (the best!). The owner wholesales them to others around the greater Sydney region; I found them years ago at the Gardners Inn pub in Blackheath, now I know where they come from. They've also got fruit pies.

One of life's simple pleasures, a pie and drink on the front table taking in the magnificent eastern view from the shop's verandah.

I posted this from my Instagram about 2 months with ago and said

"You really should have to qualify a statement like this......I had such high hopes...."

I miss the pies from NZ - just good ol steak 'n' cheese or mince 'n' cheese pies.

pies.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.