• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

My prediction- 1.BSHS
2.TSS
3.NC
4.IGS
5.ACGS
6.BGS
7.BBC
8.TGS
9.GT

I'm pretty sure if you went to sportal or somewhere you would find the 2010 predictions to be almost identical to this one. The top three will be the top three due to the 'environment' at their respective schools, but in reality the next 6 could go anyway depending on the day. I'm more interested in seeing how many 2010 and 2011 enrollments feature when they release the player list next year, given all the hoopla this year.

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
heard the other day jason gilmore a renowned coach has moved to tgs to coach there firsts and they are doing some heavy recruiting

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
My prediction- 1.BSHS
2.TSS
3.NC
4.IGS
5.ACGS
6.BGS
7.BBC
8.TGS
9.GT

State high wont be as dominant as in 2009, and probably not as strong in all areas as the 2010 side, although sautia and browning will be unstoppable, as well as the presence of some other solid players such as khuu, alo-emile and kerevi to provide support. TSS has plenty of players returning, and their forward pack will be the best in the comp, not so sure about the backline though. Nudgee will be strong as usual, and look out for their flyhalf, billy brittain. The IGS front row is going to be very strong, and they also have plenty of athleticism in their backline. Churchie will be solid in all areas, with no standouts, although the centre soap someone is a player to keep an eye on. BGS have their QLD and GPS 1 flyhalf returning, as well as a powerful number 8, although they will have nothing on the 2010 team. BBC will have a strong front row (ben tarr has heaps of potential) and also some quick outside backs, but nothing too special. I dont rate their halfback either. Toowoomba and Terrace will battle it out for the wooden spoon. Toowoomba has a solid hooker and some tough flankers, but thats about it. Terrace dont seem to have a chance, they have a massive kid playing prop, and some gritty flankers, but thats about it for them.

RE: bbc halfback

The kid is okay but yeah I don't particularly rate him. There are some that suspect there may be a bit of politics involved because he's the director of rugby's son, and the coach (the coach selects the team, not the director), would probably want to be "in favour" with the director of rugby so he would pick his son.

However underneath him I believe they will have a quality sixteen A's halfback with some more potential for next year.

I'd have to say our strongest area may be the front row however, the 15 A's captain (and hooker) this year was an english migrant who's very smart, however has got some serious strength and staunch, very powerful and has some mungrel. I'd say he'd be alongside Taur, and there is another prop from the 15A's who will probably be joining them who's pretty solid too.

D

dleezy02

his name is robert lawless, tough player
one of the best hookers going around

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
heard the other day jason gilmore a renowned coach has moved to tgs to coach there firsts and they are doing some heavy recruiting

Happy to hear that. TGS has been just making up the numbers for quite a long time, be nice to see a serious run at a good 1st XV. Although as long as we beat Downlands I will be happy!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
RE: bbc halfback

The kid is okay but yeah I don't particularly rate him. There are some that suspect there may be a bit of politics involved because he's the director of rugby's son, and the coach (the coach selects the team, not the director), would probably want to be "in favour" with the director of rugby so he would pick his son.

However underneath him I believe they will have a quality sixteen A's halfback with some more potential for next year.

I'd have to say our strongest area may be the front row however, the 15 A's captain (and hooker) this year was an english migrant who's very smart, however has got some serious strength and staunch, very powerful and has some mungrel. I'd say he'd be alongside Taur, and there is another prop from the 15A's who will probably be joining them who's pretty solid too.

I doubt that a coach of Tom Barker's standing would be involved in such politics. I had a chat with some of the people involved in BBC rugby and they are trying to change the culture of the program there so I am sure they would allow Barker to pick the players he wants.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
My wish list for GPS rugby 2011
1 Close games between sides - particularly in lower agegroups & divisions
2 A Super 15 style points system so we don't have recurring 3 way tied competitions
3 An end of year grand final between top 2 1st XV teams
4 Less parental criticism of referees
5 A better standard of refereeing (closely relate to Point 4)
6 Fast & open games
7 More limited scholarships

OK so I'm a dreamer. See you all around the grounds this year. I will be the one trying to achieve Point 6 with whistle in hand.

akorczyk

Bob McCowan (2)
News from Nudgees backline stocks includes 16yr old Jack Tuttle who played second five-eight last year for QLD u16 red as a 15yr old. Also played few games for Nudgee's 1st XV last year. Nice to meet you dleezy02 :)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I had a chat with some of the people involved in BBC rugby and they are trying to change the culture of the program there

Hmmm, Im afraid those people have been saying the same thing for years, but I am interested in seeing what Tom does bring to BBC!

S

shitkicker

they have a fair bit of talent up front with the likes of maile and his cousin fatai with some good flankers in tasi tasi , and there back line includes matt gorden and denzel king so its looking alot better than last year

Confirmed, Fetai Latu is going to Ipswich. If the big fella gets fit, I would be very, very scared, and this is coming from someone who knows the man.
Jason Gillmore is at Toowoomba this year, and a whole lot of importing is going on... I guess thats what happens when you come a pretty convincing last. I would give them a solid mid field finish at very least.

W

Watcher

Any news on BGS for the upcoming season? Are they continuing on from last year and bringing in new blood?

T

TheTruth

Confirmed, Fetai Latu is going to Ipswich. If the big fella gets fit, I would be very, very scared, and this is coming from someone who knows the man.
Jason Gillmore is at Toowoomba this year, and a whole lot of importing is going on... I guess thats what happens when you come a pretty convincing last. I would give them a solid mid field finish at very least.

Latu fit is scary and IGS will do pretty well this year IMO.
TGS would need to bring plenty of quality lads into the program to get to up to half way. Gilmore would need to improve his skills in micro managing these young men into champions. having said all that it would be fantastic and great for the GPS Comp for TGS to be very very competitive

B

BGS Old Boy

Any news on BGS for the upcoming season? Are they continuing on from last year and bringing in new blood?

BGS picked up a great hooker in Cody Blackhurst at the end of last year whose aggressive style of play will be well suited to their pack if they are anything like last year's side.

A

alc14

ipswich apparently started training today and are looking strong

B

BGS Old Boy

News from the Gold Coast is that TSS no9 Matt Fairnington is repeating. This will definitely improve their chances with a number of guys playing their second season of 1st XV football.

Status
Not open for further replies.