• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am sick and tired of having Sunnybank and Uni bagged on this forum for their financial success. I wonder if Redcliffe suffer the same issue in the Q Cup.
I suppose GPS will be the next club to ridicule if they achieve their potential and win this year. If they do it will be down to some great work from a great committee. The federal politicians announced $250k for GPS if LNP is elected on Saturday. Great work!
Tiger Tale, I can only hope that Sunnybank stop investing in 7s, schools and other programs and take that money and pillage as many Easts players as they can so your ill founded presumptions become fact.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Second that re:GPS committee. For the last couple of years the various committees have really put their nose to the wheel and Anthony Herbert in particular should be dipped in gold for the work he does. I am biased being a GPS supporter, but a Saturday afternoon at Yoku Road is the highlight of my week.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Saw this in the Shute Shield competition thread, written by the inimitable Bruce Ross. Uni has 11 teams playing finals this year, and I think Bruce's post makes some excellent points

It's probably just a personal peculiarity but I think that sneering at young blokes who are still developing as players is poor form.

I know each of the players mentioned quite well - one of them still uses me as a mentor - and frustration obviously was a definite issue in them choosing to go to other clubs. But the real issue is why do so many others choose to stay. I remember there was considerable speculation about this during the fifteen or so years when Randwick was arguably the best rugby club in the world. My view from over the fence is that it came down to two things. The first was reflected glory. At that time if you said you played for Randwick people assumed you were a good footballer, whereas if you said you played for Uni a similar conclusion wasn't necessarily drawn.

The more important reason was that players were drawn to a particular playing culture. Playing for Randwick was fun and probably much more so because of their dominance. And there was the pursuit of excellence, although I don't think that extended to their training.

I think that too little emphasis is put on a club's culture; the need for it to be coherent and ongoing; and for players to have a real feeling of belonging. That's where more-or-less amateur clubs have a great advantage over professional teams. The franchises tend to chew people up and spit them out. When your time is up you're not really part of anything any more. And most contracted players don't find the lifestyle particularly enjoyable or rewarding.

Now to Sydney Uni. I coached First Colts - not very well - back in 1989. At that time, as at most clubs, the general approach was that players turned up at training twice a week if they had nothing better to do. But Uni was hampered by an outmoded and anachronistic game plan based on forward dominance put into practice by what were rightfully regarded as soft private schoolboys.

Transforming the Uni culture without renouncing it has been the work of two decades. But what I think has been perhaps the major catalyst for change has been a revolution in the approach to training. What you now have are players who train for 11 months of the year, with about one hundred players involved in either the Elite Development Squad or the Wider Training Group. And the emphasis is on training heavy with occasional instances of players doing PB lifts in the week of a Grand Final. Most of these players train like professionals and this training in itself can become addictive. Couple that with an appropriate playing style, what I have termed Physical Imposition, and you have an environment which enables players to explore just how good they can be. And it has to be acknowledged that Uni are in the fortunate position of being able to afford to employ top level coaches and sport scientists to assist players to do this.

I know that many people ridicule the idea that a large part of Uni's success can be put down to working harder and smarter, and it doesn't concern me that such attitudes persist. One of the principal rules of combat is to know your enemy.

T

Tigers Tale

Hahaha. Jets very humourous, clearly the same guy with another log in name. My prediction or who i hope to win is GPS. Just as long as it is not Easts or Uni. I think Brother's have already booked a venue for this coming Monday.

Jets & Club Stalwart - please note that Tigers Tale is a new contributor - but given the narrow mindedness of contributors like you I think I will not be a contributor for much longer.

I think there are bigger issues at play here - that is the wellbeing of Qld Premier Rugby (& lower grades) and that it goes beyond bickering along club lines. I mean clubs like Wests must be struggling given the state of Sedgeman Oval and the fact that they only had one colts team this year - do they have long term viability because otherwise they will fall and the QRU will simply bring in Logan and a club with a long and proud history will be lost forever.

Club land is hurting and the ARU/QRU can't keep there head in the sand any longer they need to help their constituent clubs. I know that the ARU coffers are bare but Club Rugby cannot be ignore in future planning.

The state of Sedgeman Oval is a mayor player welfare issue for the QRU and cannot be ignored. I feel for all of the grade players at Wests who have to train and play 9 games a year there.

Let's put club allegiance aside in this forum and hope that the best team whoever that might be rises to the top over the next 3 weeks. Easts & GPS are two real community based clubs with huge junior bases so it is great to see both of them in the finals doing battle with the traditional heavyweights in Brothers and Uni.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets & Club Stalwart - please note that Tigers Tale is a new contributor - but given the narrow mindedness of contributors like you I think I will not be a contributor for much longer.

TT, if you look back it was you that started throwing mud at other clubs. I just had a prediction of how the finals will play out. I have no real issues with any of the club in the finals (apart from the filth, but thats as a result of playing at Uni and something that will stay with me forever).

I personally feel that the Premier Clubs need to work together to make the Premier Comp something that can compete with the Q Cup in terms of coverage and support. The players are doing there bit to produce a great product but there are people in off field roles that seem to continually looking over the fence at what others are doing and not focusing on what they can do well.

I have bitten in the past at some of the comments on here and probably regret a few of my comments. I understand that supporters are very passionate about their clubs, this is a great thing. Rugby needs to embrace this passion and use it for positive and not to detract from others.

More press, a broadcast deal (TV or streaming) and competition governance are all areas the clubs should be focusing on. We need all of the clubs to be successful off the field more than on it. If a club is financially viable then the rugby will take care of itself.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I think there are bigger issues at play here - that is the wellbeing of Qld Premier Rugby (& lower grades) and that it goes beyond bickering along club lines. I mean clubs like Wests must be struggling given the state of Sedgeman Oval and the fact that they only had one colts team this year - do they have long term viability because otherwise they will fall and the QRU will simply bring in Logan and a club with a long and proud history will be lost forever.

Club land is hurting and the ARU/QRU can't keep there head in the sand any longer they need to help their constituent clubs. I know that the ARU coffers are bare but Club Rugby cannot be ignore in future planning.

The state of Sedgeman Oval is a mayor player welfare issue for the QRU and cannot be ignored. I feel for all of the grade players at Wests who have to train and play 9 games a year there.

Let's put club allegiance aside in this forum and hope that the best team whoever that might be rises to the top over the next 3 weeks. Easts & GPS are two real community based clubs with huge junior bases so it is great to see both of them in the finals doing battle with the traditional heavyweights in Brothers and Uni.

What's wrong with Sedgeman Oval, Tiger Tale? I didn't know it had welfare issues? It's actually quite a nice ground. Crosby Park however, will always be my favourite field.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I am sick and tired of having Sunnybank and Uni bagged on this forum for their financial success. I wonder if Redcliffe suffer the same issue in the Q Cup.
I suppose GPS will be the next club to ridicule if they achieve their potential and win this year. If they do it will be down to some great work from a great committee. The federal politicians announced $250k for GPS if LNP is elected on Saturday. Great work!
Tiger Tale, I can only hope that Sunnybank stop investing in 7s, schools and other programs and take that money and pillage as many Easts players as they can so your ill founded presumptions become fact.
Rugby should be the winner.
I am saddened that the season is coming to an end.
However It really is beyond me this 'us and them' mentality between club supporters. We all support our clubs, which they need, however we do not need to be nasty about other clubs. All club administrations are realising that they need supporters to sustain their clubs therefore cultures are improving .
What is never mentioned about player movement is that the players do choose clubs because THEY wish to play along certain players or with mates.
I like a lot of what I read but sometimes I shake my head or just don't bother reading certain posts.
Go Rugby
Go Tigers!!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Ha Wests ain't folding..

A cheap dig at the end of the season, You guys might have the better team... But I reckon Wests would have the better books!!!

You might have more ovals then us, but we've got more players then you.(& a better club culture at that)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ha Wests ain't folding..

A cheap dig at the end of the season, You guys might have the better team. But I reckon Wests would have the better books!!!

You might have more ovals then us, but we've got more players then you.(& a better club culture at that)
This is actually hilarious, by everyone. Stop fucking bickering. It shits me to tears all this petty arguing about other clubs.

Believe it or not some of us simply just like heading down to their local footy club every Saturday afternoon and watching the team they love.......

CHILDISH......end rant.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
I was at Wests for the last game on the weekend.

On the state of the oval. The ground looked as if it was bare but in actual fact the field was quite well grassed. the brown patches were couch that browns off in the winter and the green patches were Rye grass that grows in the winter. Admittedly there is heavy traffic on both the fields for training etc but that has always been the case. It is far better now than in years gone by when in the 70s it was like concrete and didn't have too much grass on it. So to say that it is a welfare issue seems to be rather uninformed in relation to the care and maintenance of rugby ovals.

On the match, Easts were far too good on the day, Wests tried valiantly but were just outgunned. I thought for Easts that White and Toua had good games didn't see Placid get the ball often and when he did he was contained.

In the forwards Gunn looked impressive although he might think about the yellow card he acquired and look to changing some aspects of his game.

Wests had some good players Hutchinson and Nelson fought hard all day and made some breaks. Green battled along but suffered from indecisive ball from Genia (Mullins from Easts played all over Genia). Probably one of Genia poorest games this season. He put new meaning into the Gregan shuffle. Some of his team mates would be muttering after receiving slow hospital passes through out the game.

Easts look to be coming good at the pointy end of the season, they will be tough to stop inn the finals. Good slick backline with some tough forwards

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)

Any reason you are talking in third person? Pretty sure all the fields around Brisbane are not the best. Unfortunately for Easts with your comments you have made them sound like they were whinging about a few scratches. That would make sense for a few players. However to say a club is struggling because of the field? Did you see the field at the start of the year, it was perfect and lush! Do you understand that Wests has only 2 fields for all of their teams? As Southern X says we dont have the luxury of acerage on the outskirts of Brisbane, but we sacrifice that by being in a better location. Just for everyones sake the bickering only started when Dont Be Chirpin and the "New Contributor" Tiger Tale aka yourself got involved.

T

Tigers Tale

I was at Wests for the last game on the weekend.

On the state of the oval. The ground looked as if it was bare but in actual fact the field was quite well grassed. the brown patches were couch that browns off in the winter and the green patches were Rye grass that grows in the winter. Admittedly there is heavy traffic on both the fields for training etc but that has always been the case. It is far better now than in years gone by when in the 70s it was like concrete and didn't have too much grass on it. So to say that it is a welfare issue seems to be rather uninformed in relation to the care and maintenance of rugby ovals.

On the match, Easts were far too good on the day, Wests tried valiantly but were just outgunned. I thought for Easts that White and Toua had good games didn't see Placid get the ball often and when he did he was contained.

In the forwards Gunn looked impressive although he might think about the yellow card he acquired and look to changing some aspects of his game.

Wests had some good players Hutchinson and Nelson fought hard all day and made some breaks. Green battled along but suffered from indecisive ball from Genia (Mullins from Easts played all over Genia). Probably one of Genia poorest games this season. He put new meaning into the Gregan shuffle. Some of his team mates would be muttering after receiving slow hospital passes through out the game.

Easts look to be coming good at the pointy end of the season, they will be tough to stop inn the finals. Good slick backline with some tough forwards

Look I am not saying any club will fall on its sword and I certainly don't want to see that happen to a great club like Wests or any of the existing Premier clubs. I am just saying that the condition of Sedgeman Oval is systematic of the lack of support for grass roots Rugby from the ARU/QRU.

"Filth Rugby" asked what is wrong with Sedgeman Oval - well ask a contracted Reds player who was injured on Saturday due to a head collision with the playing surface? The injury sustained was a direct result of the hardness of the playing surface. He will play no further part in this season.

FGS the playing surface is not good for Super 15 players, fourth grade players or juniors, it was redeveloped prior to the 2011 floods and needs some further attention - maybe one way the QRU can assist is by sending the Ballymore groundsman out to Wests to give them a hand. This is not a finger pointing exercise because Bottomley Park doesn't exactly resemble Twickenham at season's end either,

As for the review of the Easts v Wests game "Rat" please note that it wasn't Michael Gunn in the #7 jersey for Easts on Saturday that was Josh Parry. Gunn was sick.

As for Mullins he will get a sterner test this weekend when he lines up against Nick Frisby. Frisby, Campbell & Mehan have been the more polished opponents he's faced this year. Remember this is only Mullins first year in the #9 as he has spent the last few seasons filling every other position in the backline at some stage. In round 18 last year against Uni he wore the #15 and the last time they beat GPS back in 2012 he wore the #13.

And "Rat" please don't talk up the Tigers chances we love the fact they we are flying under the radar with no one giving us a hope.

Tigers Tale

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Gunny was a late withdrawal, so that was Josh Parry who got the yellow (no surprises there).

Is Gunn ok? or is it long term?

For Easts sake I hope not as he is exponentially better than Parry, who i would suggest is one of the most vital cogs in Easts finals assault.

Qld's answer to Michael Hooper.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
"Filth Rugby" asked what is wrong with Sedgeman Oval - well ask a contracted Reds player who was injured on Saturday due to a head collision with the playing surface? The injury sustained was a direct result of the hardness of the playing surface. He will play no further part in this season.

This sort of injury only happens on Wests oval? I am sorry but if you don't want to play on hard/dry fields you shouldn't, be playing rugby in Australia and probably not playing fullstop.

The fields at west are not bad at all and till about 5 weeks ago where as good as they have ever been. Recultivating a ground takes a lot longer than one off season and given the history of the ground i think wests fields are in fine form.

T

Tigers Tale

Mate given the severity of the injury sustained this is a totally ignorant statement TD. The hardness of the playing surface was the primary cause of the injury.

Player welfare should be paramount I would have thought.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not to buy into that argument, just a bit gutted that it was Aiden Toua who was injured. Easily the best fullback (best player?) in the competition this year. Freakish everytime he touches the ball.

Fortunately we have Jonah Placid to play at 15 and then bring Wilder or Sean Cox into the wing.

T

Tigers Tale

Look I have clearly stirred up enough people who contribute to this forum in only 6 days of contribution.

I am clearly a one eyed Tigers fan but unlike most of the other contributors (who can only see things from their own club's perspective) I have a greater desire to enhance the Premier Competition across the board.

Ill informed comment by self interested persons is not for me and I think I should retire from further contribution and simply sit back and enjoy the finals series.

All the best to you club in the future.

Tigers Tale

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Your right 1 injury out of 6 games played on the field, which happened during the most physical game of the day= fiel dbeing a safety issue.

tigerland12 will he still be available for Hawkes Bay? I really think Toua could benefit from the confidence that playing in the ITM cup would bring. Especially considering the 15 jersey at the reds is up for grabs

Status
Not open for further replies.