• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 12 2018 NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues. 36 and 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
so I rewatched it and have just returned from the local asylum - there was nothing I could discern to support a penalty advantage and Peyper did not have his arm out (though of course that doesn't mean much with him) but I also didn't hear him say anything. and the commentators didn't suggest there was a stuff up.
what I did notice was that the blues got a penalty from the ensuing line out and time was up. They stupidly kicked directly to touch - had they tapped it and then kicked it it would have been game over.
They really are plumbing the depths these two teams.

No one can throw away a win in the last 10 minutes better than the Blues and yet the Waratahs were incapable of capitalsing on this trait.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
As I said a couple of years back, the Blues and the Waratahs should really just play each other every week sp that no one else has to sit through it.

I think it's a bit unfair to lump the current Blues in with the current Waratahs. Last season the Blues were 7-7-1 with 37 competition points and only missed out on the playoffs because the Brumbies (6-9-0, 34 points) were Australian. Who knows what could've been this year were it not for a casualty ward looking more at home in 1918 than 2018.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it's a bit unfair to lump the current Blues in with the current Waratahs. Last season the Blues were 7-7-1 with 37 competition points and only missed out on the playoffs because the Brumbies (6-9-0, 34 points) were Australian. Who knows what could've been this year were it not for a casualty ward looking more at home in 1918 than 2018.

I'm more referrring to their ability to frustrate their own supporters than their ability.

I completely agree that the super rugby finals system is unfiar and wrong. It was a travesty that the Brumbies made it last year by virtue of winning the Aussie conference and it will be a travesty if the Waratahs do it this year.

One of the reasons why Super Rugby is a dead duck IMO. (one of many reasons I should add)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
so I rewatched it and have just returned from the local asylum - there was nothing I could discern to support a penalty advantage and Peyper did not have his arm out (though of course that doesn't mean much with him) but I also didn't hear him say anything. and the commentators didn't suggest there was a stuff up.
what I did notice was that the blues got a penalty from the ensuing line out and time was up. They stupidly kicked directly to touch - had they tapped it and then kicked it it would have been game over.

Watching ONE super rugby game may be regarded as a misfortune, to watch it again looks like carelessness. (apologies to Oscar Wilde)

As for watching every week, that asylum would be full of such poor folk.:)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I thought it was a good game to watch. You could get the vibe of the crowd through the TV with it being played at a smaller suburban ground. Game had some real vibe about it whereas Super Rugby normally comes across as dull on TV with games played in empty stadiums. Watching on TV felt like it was a good product.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

The penalty was awarded before the hooter had gone - on tv the timer showed 80 minutes but the ground hooter had not sounded. The Blues kicker was given the hurry up by Peyper, so kicked for touch and after it had gone out the hooter sounded, so he couldn't do the tap and kick out as it would have been a NSW lineout due to the ball going out while time was still on.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Folley quotes today that they need to work on their composure is just pathetic. How about we failed. We lost. Saying you need to work on your composure after the event is like a losing jockey in the Melbourne cup saying we will be better next week. Who gives a fuck you idiot!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Folley quotes today that they need to work on their composure is just pathetic. How about we failed. We lost. Saying you need to work on your composure after the event is like a losing jockey in the Melbourne cup saying we will be better next week. Who gives a fuck you idiot!

All publicity is better than no publicity. Foley does not actually write the story, that is done by a journalist. For all you or I know he probably said a lot more, but what is printed is what we see. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Foley is not a great footballer, but he seems to be our incumbent Wallabies 10. Faults and all.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

How do you 'work on composure'? I'm not sure how a team does that, apart from through experience.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How do you 'work on composure'? I'm not sure how a team does that, apart from through experience.
Just about making skills reflexive rather than conscious. In other words, they need to practice more. Not sure you can train decision making.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We know that Beale came back from the NH a better player.

I know that many Tahs' fans said so. But he has never been a good defender and has continued to miss many one on one tackles since his return. Just now, he seems to be reverting back to his crabbing days and that is highlighting the down side of his style of play on the team as a whole.

Unfortunately, we have been in a situation in recent years where tackling ability and being able to perform effectively in defense has not been a requirement for selection at the test level. Had it been, players like KB (Kurtley Beale) (and others we all know about) would never have accumulated the numbers of tests they have, and we might even have had a better win/loss record with the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unfortunately, we have been in a situation in recent years where tackling ability and being able to perform effectively in defense has not been a requirement for selection at the test level. Had it been, players like KB (Kurtley Beale) (and others we all know about) would never have accumulated the numbers of tests they have, and we might even have had a better win/loss record with the Wallabies.

Except his winning percentage as a Wallaby is higher than any other player currently in the side as far as I know. So I'm not sure you can make the correlation that the Wallabies would be more successful with a better defender playing instead.

Also, Isaia Toeva is an exceptional player and I would like to see him one day named King of Pitcairn.

S

sidelineview

I know that many Tahs' fans said so. But he has never been a good defender and has continued to miss many one on one tackles since his return. Just now, he seems to be reverting back to his crabbing days and that is highlighting the down side of his style of play on the team as a whole.

Which comes back to grassroots development and quality coaching.
Weaknesses in players' games should be corrected as they progress through the rugby ranks.
Preferably they should all have the basics of the game worked out by the time they play grade or Colts.
But that comes back to the Three Wise Men: Coulda, Woulda and Shoulda.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

To be fair neil, you can work on composure, and think you will find it is done at least in NZ by purposely throwing something out of kilter at training and let the players react. I actually heard JK talking about it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
To be fair neil, you can work on composure, and think you will find it is done at least in NZ by purposely throwing something out of kilter at training and let the players react. I actually heard JK talking about it.

I would imagine that if the basic skills are all at a high level, composure is more likely to pertain under pressure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The penalty was awarded before the hooter had gone - on tv the timer showed 80 minutes but the ground hooter had not sounded. The Blues kicker was given the hurry up by Peyper, so kicked for touch and after it had gone out the hooter sounded, so he couldn't do the tap and kick out as it would have been a NSW lineout due to the ball going out while time was still on.
So they do know what their doing.
Did you see the penalty the Tahs claim to have had when Beale kicked?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, what jk was doing was throwing something out of kilter on game day

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
So they do know what their doing.
Did you see the penalty the Tahs claim to have had when Beale kicked?

No, I didn't see any indication that a penalty was due - I thought that Beale just didn't think that they were going to get through the Blues defence on the line so tried something different. Probably came up with the 'penalty' excuse due to his tactic failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.