• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

It's interesting the public perception.

The NZRU has said they have no issues dealing with Nasser. They find negotiations to be completely straight forward. He says what the client wants and follows through with what he agrees on.

Quade due to profile has more offers than other equal players. As a result, like anybody with more offers, he takes more time to make a final decision. Nobody has ever suggested he has done anything untoward like make an agreement verbally, then pull out and ask for more money.

Both of these men are despised due to their conduct during contract negotiations.

Bernard Foley and Will Genia both agreed to terms with different Super Rugby teams, then reneged on their deals (Genia then did the same to an Aviva Premiership team also). Nobody has ever questioned their character, or the conduct of their managers.

Funny perceptions. Apparently it's better to quickly agree, then renegethan it is to take your time and follow through on the agreement you actually make.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bernard Foley and Will Genia both agreed to terms with different Super Rugby teams, then reneged on their deals (Genia then did the same to an Aviva Premiership team also). Nobody has ever questioned their character, or the conduct of their managers.
What super rugby team did Bernard Foley sign then renege his deal on?

T

Train Without a Station

Rebels.

He signed a Letter of Intent in 2013. Apparently the Waratahs made a new offer and he reneged on the agreement.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ah, market fores at play - good to see prices dropped by 20% - hopefully that will be a bit more affordable to many.

There are some inexperienced lads in the roster but by and large I wouldn't have labelled the group as a whole, inexperienced.

There is 1 less home game next year. Per game, the price has barely dropped. Calls were made for a significant drop (supply and demand = boost the demand but reducing the cost of supply) ...theory being heyy let's get our numbers up and get bums on seats first...thennn think about raising prices, but it fell upon deaf ears.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
written that gilmore is D coach at country, Kef head coach and thorn forwards. I imagine gilmore will also look after the backs and kefu the fowards as thorn will be playing.

An all prem coaching squad in city. Not a strong looking squad on paper. Fair few Reds missing from both teams (probs due to injury etc)...eg...Korzyke, Houston, Timu, Neville, Nabuli, Taefu and the newly debuted jack tuttle.

Kefu starts up as Tonga coach again in April I think... Might see him a bit around the Reds but not full time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is 1 less home game next year. Per game, the price has barely dropped. Calls were made for a significant drop (supply and demand = boost the demand but reducing the cost of supply) .theory being heyy let's get our numbers up and get bums on seats first.thennn think about raising prices, but it fell upon deaf ears.

How much does that actually influence membership numbers though? Would the people on the fence about renewing change their mind with a modest price reduction?

Addressing falling crowds is one issue but I don't see that as happening massively through the price of membership.

By the same token I think it would be completely wrong for a side that does well to expect they can increase their membership prices substantially.

Clearly winning more often makes the product more attractive to fans but overall the product they are selling is membership to a sporting team. The product doesn't really change based on the success of the team.

I note that most of this post actually addresses previous posts where people have first mentioned that the price has dropped by 20%. 1 less home game makes far more sense than the Reds deciding they were going to substantially reduce membership prices.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
The supporters membership (non-ticketed) prices haven't changed, after they went up a little over 9% last year. I think that was to celebrate RG staying on for another year....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ah, market fores at play - good to see prices dropped by 20% - hopefully that will be a bit more affordable to many.

There are some inexperienced lads in the roster but by and large I wouldn't have labelled the group as a whole, inexperienced.
G Smiths worth the admissions alone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
maybe QC (Quade Cooper) is delaying the announcement out of respect for his sevens team mates, let then hopefully have their glory in the Rugby world.

I wonder if he has already signed and is waiting to announce to boost media for the NRC?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quade due to profile has more offers than other equal players. As a result, like anybody with more offers, he takes more time to make a final decision. Nobody has ever suggested he has done anything untoward like make an agreement verbally, then pull out and ask for more money.

Yes Quade has more room to maneouvre than any other 10 in Aus. Fine. Does he remember how that played out when he was leaving? Piss poor all round.

Just get it sorted Quade. Quickly.

T

Train Without a Station

Likewise if he was unhappy in France, surely all the more reason to be cautious before committing yourself for 3 years?

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber I never heard your take on the public perception.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubber I never heard your take on the public perception.

Yeah Train I think your comment on the public perception is correct.

The good old Journos always put their own "spin" on the story and the great unwashed masses (well, most) generally believe the written word.

He seems to have a couple of high profile players who are sought after. Often a slow negotiation favours the player with a Franchise increasing the offer until the signature is obtained.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The issue is "if not Quade, then who?"

Reds management cant spend too much time stuffing around if they need to be still looking for a quality 10.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The issue is "if not Quade, then who?"

Reds management cant spend too much time stuffing around if they need to be still looking for a quality 10.

They should really be looking far and wide for a suitable 10. If they are able to source one Quade may be left out in the cold with no Australian option but the Rebels

The Reds would be foolish to put all their bets on Quade

Reactions: dru
T

Train Without a Station

A a professional I fully respect Quade's decision to take his time before making a career decision. I do, and none of mind lock me into any employer for a fixed term.

A slow negotiation only favors the player if they have other offers or are willing to take nothing if it comes to it. Not agreeing because they won't meet what you said you wanted from day one isn't dragging out the process though, the team repeatedly revising their "best" offer is. Who's dishonest in that scenario?

As a Reds supporter I'd hope the club are talking to all available options out there, and if it comes to it, are willing to tell Cooper that X their final offer they can make and they need a decision by Y date or they will sign an alternative.

But let's not pretend that's an abundance of equal alternatives available, let alone better.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see the Reds have lowered membership prices but about 20%.

Still too much for a rookie coach and inexperienced team, however, as a multi-seat holder, it is nice to see the trend reversed.

Is that for one less game though? If you have gone from 8 to 7 than that's a 5% increase

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
They should really be looking far and wide for a suitable 10. If they are able to source one Quade may be left out in the cold with no Australian option but the Rebels

Possibly Quade is waiting to see who will be the next coach of the Force. He may be contemplating a trek across the Nullabor. Just sayin'. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.