• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I agree that Talakai and Smith are obviously the more polished players.

But, if the Reds are playing smash mouth footy in the wide channels, I'm not sure a forward pack with those two, plus Moore, Douglas and Simmons, has the mobility to keep possession out wide.

One of the major reasons I thought the Chiefs and Crusaders were so good in the regular season was the ability of their forwards in support play, particularly in breakdowns. Their mobility and accuracy at the ruck let the backline chance their hand often, which is why they were so hard to defend.

Moore, Smith and Talakai are not mobile forwards, so to hit those rucks they'd need to stick to zones across the field, which limits their ability to get involved in attack.

Starting Gunn, Tupou, Tui, Slipper and Ready>Moore, while sacrificing the experience and nous, would allow the Reds to attack at seriously high tempo.

Fatigue the other team with big bodies, moving fast, in wide channels = more line breaks, more tries, more happy spectators.

It's left field for sure, but I wouldn't mind a bit of left field at this point! :)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder how much of the criticism of Moore's play in the tests has stemmed from the negativity around his captaincy.

I'm not saying he is playing well, but I don't think one wallaby has been better than his opposite across the four tests so far this year so he is not alone. So the suggestions that Ready can somehow do better and should be thrown into the test team at Moore's expense seem a bit premature.

I hope Ready can kick on and have a great future in gold and he will be better for having Moore around. The guy is a Wallaby legend.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Moore has a three year deal. Is Ready expected to be understudy for that whole time? How long is ready contracted for? Is it reasonable for ready to stick around for three years behind Moore?

Is the ideal plan for Moore to be lead hooker for a season (or so) and then Ready become primary after that? If so, is Moore's salary based on that premise? Or is it based on his value now and we will be paying the salary of an international level starting hooker who puts in 10-15 minutes per match for a couple of years?

I admit that I don't particularly want him back due largely to his repeated punching of reds players, but I am intrigued by what the reds plans for him and Ready are.

I think he will offer more than Saia has in the last year or so, though and i am unsure of other hookers that woukd be around (other than Hanson who I would have loved to keep).

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder how much of the criticism of Moore's play in the tests has stemmed from the negativity around his captaincy.

I'm not saying he is playing well, but I don't think one wallaby has been better than his opposite across the four tests so far this year so he is not alone. So the suggestions that Ready can somehow do better and should be thrown into the test team at Moore's expense seem a bit premature.

I hope Ready can kick on and have a great future in gold and he will be better for having Moore around. The guy is a Wallaby legend.

I think Ready is seen as an option for the next world cup, I think we will need two new Wallaby hookers in Gold and we need to blood one now and then one next season, this allows both to then have a full year to prep

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moore has a three year deal........ How long is Ready contracted for? Is it reasonable for Ready to stick around for three years behind Moore?

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Moore doesn't see out the three years of his contract.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Statement:

I'm not saying he is playing well, but I don't think one wallaby has been better than his opposite across the four tests so far this year so he is not alone.

Conclusion:
So the suggestions that Ready can somehow do better and should be thrown into the test team at Moore's expense seem a bit premature.

I'm just not sure that works. How Moore is going, especially if it is poor, whatever the story with the other WBs, does not negate whether or not Ready is a better option - especially at the Reds.

As much as I cant stop watching the slow speed train crash that is the Wallabies, here what I am looking for is the strongest Reds. I'm not at all convinced that is with Moore starting. For three years. It's great having him join us, but he must earn his starting spot. Maybe he will, maybe he wont.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I did not say who I thought would be better starting at the Reds. Merely that I thought Moore would make a valuable contribution and that calls for Ready to take his place in the Wallabies are premature. So i'm not going to argue with you about this but you're wrong:p

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I did not say who I thought would be better starting at the Reds. Merely that I thought Moore would make a valuable contribution and that calls for Ready to take his place in the Wallabies are premature. So i'm not going to argue with you about this but you're wrong:p

I would hope that veteran players near the end of their professional career would see themselves ass being able to mentor and develop younger players as well as perform on the field, and I think Moore can certainly use his experience to do that. Ready has been great this season, I don't think throwing him into the WBs yet would benefit him - training with them maybe although given last weekend's performance maybe not. What I do think is that Ready has shown the benefit of the NRC and being given the opportunity in Super Rugby to step up - I think he has been managed quite well in his development and I hope that next season we see him and Moore tag teaming for the Reds so that both get plenty of game time - Moore doesn't seem to go past the 60 minute mark too often, whether that is tactical or nothing left I don't know.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would hope that veteran players near the end of their professional career would see themselves ass being able to mentor and develop younger players as well as perform on the field, and I think Moore can certainly use his experience to do that. Ready has been great this season, I don't think throwing him into the WBs yet would benefit him - training with them maybe although given last weekend's performance maybe not. What I do think is that Ready has shown the benefit of the NRC and being given the opportunity in Super Rugby to step up - I think he has been managed quite well in his development and I hope that next season we see him and Moore tag teaming for the Reds so that both get plenty of game time - Moore doesn't seem to go past the 60 minute mark too often, whether that is tactical or nothing left I don't know.

Ready really has to earn his stripes particularly at national level.

He had a good season. Part of that was he was packing down with the best props in Australia and a dam strong set piece.

He certainly appears to be a future Wallaby but time will tell. Chibba Hanson is still a fair way ahead of him. Another season of Super rugby will do him the world of good.

Fucked if I know what Moore can do for the bloke and I reckon he is a waste of money, particularly now that his form has gone to shit. (Yeah I can hear the mentoring argument being thrown up ) Ready should be the starter at this stage unless Moore can regain better form.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting story about Ready. On 3 separate occasions in the last 5 years (since he was 18) he was told by the Reds "Sorry, we don't rate you above xyz, we won't be offering you a deal/game time/training squad spot etc."

The lad plugged away, worked his arse off initially in club land and then with unpaid wider training squad before eventually getting a look in when his main rivals either left or were scrapped for ill discipline. He's just basically always been hell bent on being a QLD Red

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As an outsider, I'd really like to see Ready get his chance at the higher level. I can't see the same qualities in Hanson that others obviously see. I think Hanson had a very ordinary year at the Rebels, while Ready was quite outstanding in the Reds' campaign.

T

TOCC

Ready has massive potential, but he needs to work on a few areas, his defence is currently his Achilles heel, his tackling success sits at around 65%, far too low.. And whilst his strong point is consistency in the set piece and pilfering the ball, he still needs to improve his running game, his figures for meters runs, tackle busts etc are all quite low.

Moore made significantly more runs, more clean breaks and beat more defenders..he made more passes, more offloads, conceded less penalties, knocked the ball on less and missed less tackles.

Ready had a good year, but Moore still has a lower error rate and a far better running game.. The only stats in which Ready beats Moore are in minutes played and turnovers won.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
People seem to forget that Moore was playing really well at the start of the year and the break for the England tests seem to have a huge effect on him. If he can get back to that form it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.