• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah I suppose Quade has to focus on the Wobs & not the Reds at the moment..

Problem for the Reds though is do we have a viable plan B if we miss out on Quade

Reg's comment on last page suggests maybe it is done and just waiting on the announcement. Or am I reading to much into it?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I suppose Quade has to focus on the Wobs & not the Reds at the moment..

Problem for the Reds though is do we have a viable plan B if we miss out on Quade

I thought he couldn't play for the Wallabies until he had a deal with an AUS Super Rugby franchise?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought he couldn't play for the Wallabies until he had a deal with an AUS Super Rugby franchise?

He has signed a contract with the ARU which presumably commits him to Super Rugby as well (just maybe not which team).

I reckon he's probably signed with the Reds already and it just hasn't been announced yet.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
He has signed a contract with the ARU which presumably commits him to Super Rugby as well (just maybe not which team).

I reckon he's probably signed with the Reds already and it just hasn't been announced yet.

So what if no Australian team wants him? (I know that this wont occur!)

Can you play for Australia if you have an ARU contract but not Super Rugby? Does he have to sign for a club to allow him to play?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So what if no Australian team wants him? (I know that this wont occur!)

Can you play for Australia if you have an ARU contract but not Super Rugby? Does he have to sign for a club to allow him to play?

Once he has committed to Aus Super Rugby he's OK. Yes it would be funny if he couldnt get a gig, but no doubt Cheika wants him and it's enough.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't think Quade will have any trouble finding a Super Rugby side willing to offer a contract. But as a precedence, wasn't that pretty much the situation with JOC (James O'Connor) which forced him to go o/s?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't think Quade will have any trouble finding a Super Rugby side willing to offer a contract. But as a precedence, wasn't that pretty much the situation with JOC (James O'Connor) which forced him to go o/s?

I think the JOC (James O'Connor) situation was the ARU tore up his contract with them due to his airport incident when he had been negotiating with the Force (from memory) so he couldn't sign with any team as the ARU didn't want him.

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
So with Quade left out of this weekend's test team, I'd like a few dollars on him being named in the 23 for the game at Suncorp v South Africa on Sep 10. The Reds announce his signing that same week. Win-win, bit more publicity for rugby in the days leading up to the game, and maybe give a last minute kick to sell remaining tickets.

T

TOCC

So with Quade left out of this weekend's test team, I'd like a few dollars on him being named in the 23 for the game at Suncorp v South Africa on Sep 10. The Reds announce his signing that same week. Win-win, bit more publicity for rugby in the days leading up to the game, and maybe give a last minute kick to sell remaining tickets.

Perhaps, or maybe they use him to publicise the launch of the NRC, it kicks off in 10 days, he could certainly use the game time.. I think we could see him announced as a signing next week along with been named in the Brisbane City vs NSW Country Eagles team.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
quade has already been presented formal offers by Reds and Rebels...he just hasn't made public which one he will/has picked

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Perhaps, or maybe they use him to publicise the launch of the NRC, it kicks off in 10 days, he could certainly use the game time.. I think we could see him announced as a signing next week along with been named in the Brisbane City vs NSW Country Eagles team.

TOCC I like that approach far better than my thought - that would make for a cracking opening round match for the NRC at Sydney Uni Oval.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeh that was in response to the 'if he has a ARU contract but no Super Rugby contract can he still play'.

I imagine that the ARU contract only followed the Super Rugby formal offers. The ARU contract would stipulate that he would have to sign one of these offers, therefore making him eligible to play, even though not formally signed with Super Rugby.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'd much rather Magnay on one wing than CFS or Laloifi at this stage.

My concern for Laloifi is size, and having two genuinely large, pacey wingers AND Kerevi, playing outside 2.5 playmakers (Quade, DPA and Hunt) really excites me.

I think 2017 will live or die with the forward's ability to get around the pitch and secure those wide breakdowns. Maybe that means throwing Nella Tupou and Michael Gunn into the furnace for Round 1?

I definitely wouldn't complain about:

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Kane Douglas
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Michael Gunn
8. Leroy Houston (RIP Curtis :( )
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper (10+15)
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Duncan Paia'aua (12+10)
13. Samu Kerevi (13+12)
14. Campbell Magnay (11+13+14)
15. Karmichael Hunt (13+15)

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sef Fa'agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. George Smith
21. Bobby Tuttle
22. Henry Taefu (10+12)
23. Chris F' Sautia (11+13+14)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

My concern for Laloifi is size, and having two genuinely large, pacey wingers AND Kerevi, playing outside 2.5 playmakers (Quade, DPA and Hunt) really excites me.

I think 2017 will live or die with the forward's ability to get around the pitch and secure those wide breakdowns. Maybe that means throwing Nella Tupou and Michael Gunn into the furnace for Round 1?

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Kane Douglas
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Michael Gunn
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper (10+15)
11. Eto Nabuli
13. Samu Kerevi (13+12)

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sef Fa'agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. George Smith
21. Bobby Tuttle
22. Henry Taefu (10+12)

I like that side, but I'd have George Smith starting and Gunn on the bench

T

TOCC

For the first couple of rounds they may have to plan for a lineup minus Smith and Tui given their Japanese commitments..

Also, whilst Tupou has made great progress I'd start Talakai ahead of him for a few more games at least, give Tupou experience off the bench.. No point throwing him to the wolves, at least off the bench he could be used as a good impact player.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Kane Douglas
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Michael Gunn
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper (10+15)
11. Eto Nabuli
13. Samu Kerevi (13+12)

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sef Fa'agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. George Smith
21. Bobby Tuttle
22. Henry Taefu (10+12)
Really nice team.

I am keen to see if Cooper can use Nabuli in the same fashion as Digby coming in off his wing to the inside ball.

I think Smith will start and would prefer Ready to start but realise this will not happen.

I hope with two very competent hookers that the coach keeps a tight leash on Moore's interaction with the referees, even if he is not captain I doubt he can control his mouth. If required early showers and maybe some bench time might assist the Reds and the Wallabies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.