• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree Mr Baron, NRC is concerning. Our brightest light for City (Naisarani) has been picked up for the force, and whilst I agree that Scott-Young can be a weapon in the future (now has an EPS contract), you almost wish we had another ballymore Kid contract to give out...to Naisarani, considering Recent injury layoffs and players in Japan. Anway can't have them all!

City downfall hasn't been surprising. The older, wiser club rugby guys from sydney are making themselves heard far louder then their brisbane counterparts, and the Reds using the NRC to develop a large number of u20 players whilst a great option, is clearly showing a gap and the worth of that bit more experience.

Country has been surprising though, good roster on paper struggling on the field. With a stacked coaching roster of Queenslands potential future all star coaches. All black Legend, Qld u20 Coach operating under Head Coach of Tonga.... a large number of professional contract holders/players with Reds experience on the field, but what is missing?

I'm thinking City has what Country is missing and vice versa. City has Naisarani, Tupou and Tui as the big bodies up the middle, whilst Country has/had Nabuli, Perese, DP, Pincus, Banks, Leafau & Aus u20 wings mcnamara and jurd (spelling) to unleash out wide.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think there have still been plenty of positives from individuals in the NRC, and probably by a few in positions we want to see. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Perese, Paia'aua, Tupou, Tui & Banks. I think Ready, Talaki, Houston & Paraka have also been solid.

The bulk of our best XV & a few others have had little or no involvement in NRC like Slipper, Moore, Douglas, Smith, Timu, Henrick Tui, Frisby, Cooper, Hunt, Magnay & Kerevi.

Kerevi, Gill, & Frisby were probably the three stand outs for BC last year and have left a fair hole.

T

TOCC

When the Reds were at their best in 2011, Genia really provides that second playmaking option from halfback. You know there is a strong chance he will run himself and also set up a play for others around him (not involving Cooper).

In many ways Frisby provides that same sort of playmaking halfback (just obviously not as good as Genia).

The Reds could go a number of ways next year. They could play Kerevi at 12 and try and develop him further into that Nonu sort of threat or they could pick a genuine second playmaker in Paia'aua or go for another option altogether.

When the Reds were at their best in 2011 they had a second playmaker at fullback, during 2011 the fullback duties were shared between Ben Lucas, Mike Harris and Jono Lance, with the later been the fullback through the finals matches.

Reds always had a second playmaker in the lineup, it was why Quade was always able to sit towards the back in defence and was often the 2nd receiver in counter attack.

Game styles have evolved slightly since 2011, but having a second playmaker in the backline is still a key factor with Quade in the team IMO. Whether that be from fullback or inside centre. Karmichael if fit may be able to fill this role from fullback, but IMO the form of Duncan in the NRC and the few Super Rugby games he had in 2016 warrants him having a shot at 12 as well.

N

NTT

Any chance the Reds want to release Izack Rodda to join the Force?
We've only got 3 locks signed, Coleman, Matwijow and RHP, with no further word on Matt Philip. Between Simmons, Douglas, Neville and Lukhan Tui you have plenty of depth there. Potgieter from Country could be injury cover for the Reds?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We've only got 3 locks signed, Coleman, Matwijow and RHP, with no further word on Matt Philip. Between Simmons, Douglas, Neville and Lukhan Tui you have plenty of depth there. Potgieter from Country could be injury cover for the Reds?
No. :)

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I know you asked Reg but I'll throw my 2c in.

Nabuli was nearly always given the ball with next to zero space to work with and our attack heading toward the sideline which is a defending winger's wet dream. On the few occasions that he was given room to work with he would often get over/around his man and make good metres.

I know what you mean but the problems with Nabuli's perceived lack on impact weren't because of Nabuli. He'll be good.

Thanks Scoey, I'm looking forward to seeing him with Quade then. I recall one fantastic run that was called back for a toe on the sideline but gee it deserved to be a try just because it was so exciting. If he can just move in a few cms next season and have Quade hitting him at pace...

TSR - I like the look of Magnay too , he really seemed to make some ground on the few opportunities he had. I'm hoping that the Frisby -Cooper partnership can gel as I like Frisby a lot, and hopefully he won't have to try to do so much with Quade there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, I notice that you include Nabuli in your backline. I was disappointed with him this season, really didn't seem to be able to break tackles, showed some good pace down the sideline a couple of times but couldn't stay in. I'm not sure what the better options are, I like the rest of the backline but I'm not sold on Nabuli, although I accept that I may be missing something and having Quade get the ball to him in a decent position might be good. Are we banking on potential or have you seen him really deliver?

yeah I don't see it the same way. I was very impressed with him. A couple of mistakes for sure, but I was very excited about what I saw of him.

I hope he continues to improve because he could be sensational.

T

TOCC

This is what the 'short term loan' article in the Australians was aimed at, no doubt with lock depth specifically in mind. To be fair though, out of those Neville has just had shoulder surgery so may not be fit for the start of the season, which gives the Reds 4 locks to start the season with, which is fairly standard.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

I thought you had Matt Philip as well?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Jeez how many second chances can McIntyre get?
You could surround him with the AB backline and he would still come up with rocks.
Any time he ball plays,it's an error,someone nearly dies,or he hits someone from the opposition on the chest.
He does not have the kicking game of a pro.
The only time he can make a line break is when it's a 4 on 1.
He is just not up to it,to persevere with him, is just stalling the development of the squad.
IMHO

I struggle with with this. At the moment I probably have such an negative emotional response to the memories of the 2016 season that it makes it impossible for me to judge Jake's contribution and value with any objectivity.

Right now I keep going around in my head wanting Quade to play 10, backed up by DP and probably Hunt to play 12 (also backed up by DP), someone else to play 15 and Jake to get tossed out on his arse.

More likely (and maybe better) is for Hunt to remain at 15, DP to play 12 and Jake to have a regular spot on the bench

N

NTT

I thought you had Matt Philip as well?

There has been no further information about whether Matt Philip is joining the Force on a full time gig. Im merely speculating on potential contingency plans. Still hopeful of Philip getting the gig though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I struggle with with this. At the moment I probably have such an negative emotional response to the memories of the 2016 season that it makes it impossible for me to judge Jake's contribution and value with any objectivity.

Right now I keep going around in my head wanting Quade to play 10, backed up by DP and probably Hunt to play 12 (also backed up by DP), someone else to play 15 and Jake to get tossed out on his arse.

More likely (and maybe better) is for Hunt to remain at 15, DP to play 12 and Jake to have a regular spot on the bench

Hopefully Hunt, DP and Quade have injury free seasons

Reactions: TSR

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
He is currently with the Southland Stags in the NZL M10 Cup.

Does he have a Kiwi grandparent or parent?
I wonder if it is more about a longer, generally better quality comp in order to show his wares a bit more. If he plays well, I've no doubt the Force will pick him up. If he doesn't have the physicality or gets injuref- no loss. A hedged bet perhaps?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Tin foil hat time. Maybe the ARU asked the Reds to wait until the Force had first dibs? :D

I'm just staggered there hasn't been anything about assistants yet. Not even from the rumour mill. Have to say that Wessels has done well with his assistants. Surely we are getting closer to an announcement?

Actually - do we have confirmation on the S&C staff? Same as last season?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think there have still been plenty of positives from individuals in the NRC, and probably by a few in positions we want to see. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Perese, Paia'aua, Tupou, Tui & Banks. I think Ready, Talaki, Houston & Paraka have also been solid.

The bulk of our best XV & a few others have had little or no involvement in NRC like Slipper, Moore, Douglas, Smith, Timu, Henrick Tui, Frisby, Cooper, Hunt, Magnay & Kerevi.

Kerevi, Gill, & Frisby were probably the three stand outs for BC last year and have left a fair hole.
On paper reds look much better side next year for sure - I also think many are underestimating how much Moore will bring in terms of quality of his leadership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
There has been no further information about whether Matt Philip is joining the Force on a full time gig. Im merely speculating on potential contingency plans. Still hopeful of Philip getting the gig though.
Hopefully Richie Arnold comes good for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.