• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not overly concerned, if next year goes well there will be added incentive to resign. If it doesn't, I'll surely stop caring by then....

B

Bobby Sands

A little bit out of the box, but ex Joey's prodigy Blaise Barnes is back in Union (playing colts at Randwick) after a year or so with Parramatta Eels system.

He has that rare ability to step off both feet without losing speed. Very unusual sight.

He is only 19 or so, and has plenty to work with. Would be signing him up for Brisbane City if an NRC team hasn't got him yet.

As they say, you can't put in what god left out, and that boy got plenty.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Wayne Smith, rugby sports editor at The Australian newspaper, reports, "Queensland Reds poised to announce the appointment of Jim McKay as their Super Rugby attack coach for the next two seasons".

If so, then Halleluya

Smith further said, "in his 15-month stint with the Wallabies, McKay helped guide them to seven wins in succession. It was McKay, too, who McKenzie brought on to reshape the Queensland Reds’ attack and in two seasons brought them from second last on the Super Rugby table in 2009 to a title win in 2011.

This is definitely the assistant coach we need to see the Reds progress.
I wonder if that's why a number of the players have re-signed?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hopefully Wisemantel is being kept on Ice for teh Wallabies Assistant gig in 2020. Getting plenty of different experiences and runs on the board.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A little bit out of the box, but ex Joey's prodigy Blaise Barnes is back in Union (playing colts at Randwick) after a year or so with Parramatta Eels system.

He has that rare ability to step off both feet without losing speed. Very unusual sight.

He is only 19 or so, and has plenty to work with. Would be signing him up for Brisbane City if an NRC team hasn't got him yet.

As they say, you can't put in what god left out, and that boy got plenty.

Lot of knee issues though and quite small, good player for sure but I'd be letting him prove himself before rushing to sign him. He hardly played a game for Paramatta in two years at any level due to knee injuries.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is Quade really showing any form that suggests we should be looking forward to him being back in the Reds?

From what I’ve seen (a lot less than most on here admittedly) he still has some real pluses to his game, but he is not the threat he once was, whilst other parts of his game have diminished significantly.

I don’t mean to bag the guy - watching him at his best he was probably the most enjoyable bloke to watch bar none and I really take my hat off to all the stuff I hear about him doing off the field. And I do have some concerns with Stewart who seems to be having trouble shaking his past as a flanker - I’m just not sure Quade would actually be an improvement on current form.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wasn't McKay instrumental in the "run an inside line of Quade & watch the magic happen" game plan?

wonder with him on board if Quade will still be on the outer next year??

McKay sounds like a really good appointment. Add a decent strategist and we may be on the way to somewhere.

Still waiting for a CEO announcement aren’t we?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Man, I've completely forgotten what reading good news and the Reds feels like.

Fantastic to hear Jim's coming back, just need that defence sorted out and I'll breathe a bit easier!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is Quade really showing any form that suggests we should be looking forward to him being back in the Reds?

Yes. But hardly think Thorn is going to reverse without direction from above. In the mean time Stewart is shaping up as a Foley-style 10, not flamboyant or expressive a but predictable and workmanlike performer who presumably suits Thorn.

And I do have some concerns with Stewart who seems to be having trouble shaking his past as a flanker.

He has the bottle to get his head in rucks and fetch. Impressive but not at all what you would normally look for in a 10. His defence is useful in a modern backline - avoids the barn-dance as things transition from attack to D. Maybe McKay can help get his head around game management.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Oh I agree that Quade's form hasn't been setting the world on fire - it has looked better than our other options though....

And if Hamish had of had a full season alongside Quade as a mentor I think our outlook for 2019 would be very different