• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
it's a little more than Thorn. It's the new young players coming through the system and the sponsors (existing and new). Some were very close to walking when the Hunt and Slipper things blew up. Thankfully they are still there because if they weren't the QRU may not be.

Fully understand with the young kids coming through, drugs, haircuts etc.. but SG Fleet, PLus500 & Land Rover don't seem to have a problem with it..

dru

Tim Horan (67)
it's a little more than Thorn. It's the new young players coming through the system and the sponsors (existing and new). Some were very close to walking when the Hunt and Slipper things blew up. Thankfully they are still there because if they weren't the QRU may not be.

You're responding to a comment starting with Slim talking about Quade and Slipper.

Hunt and the sponsors I get. I don't agree but understand. In the mean time I think Thorn has amplified the issue wrt the media meaning it hasn't been managed well.

In terms of Slipper and the black dog, I fail to see how competent management building on relation ships with the sponsors, was not able to manage the scenario. Though again Thorn managed to build a media narrative that isn 't helpful.

And regarding Quade, seriously, the sponsors were walking?

There are questions here for the Reds that have nothing to do with game day or the training field. It starts with the Admin team, currently as far as I can see who are un-led, and then is complicated by the Thorn puritansim. There is no such thing as as perfect world, but in that perfect world Reds management would have wanted to hold onto as much value as possible in all three players and would have controlled an HC in actions that were devaluing the Reds investments. They then would look to disposal, if necessary at minimum cost.

There is little, if anything from this saga, that nudges slightly to that.

We now have Reds fans who will be actively watching both Brumbies and Rebels - and we are talking the rusted on. It's all that is left.

[Sorry Reg, but this stuff just needs commentry. I think.]

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Love your thinking, I might do it a bit different (Ilike an expressive 10-12) but I think uou’re Very close to where Thorn will go.

Question: how might McKay adjust it?

McKay likes to attack. I reckon he'll want Duncan P in there directing play. Either at 10 or 12.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I want to state again just how pissed off I am about how the Reds have handled James Slipper this year. He should have been treated a lot better than he has.

He failed the drug test twice. Did not learn from his mistake.

How would of you handled it Sully? I’d of let him play club rugby but Thorns been pretty clear on the drug mishaps.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He failed the drug test twice. Did not learn from his mistake.

How would of you handled it Sully? I’d of let him play club rugby but Thorns been pretty clear on the drug mishaps.

that's pretty accurate. He was also on the RUPA committee that brought in the ilicet drug policy.

Unfortunately there's a little more to the story too. Nothing for print I'm afraid.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scenario... You're a big fit running rugby player, your work rates huge, training harder than most, you almost look too good and people suspect that you might be getting help from behind the Gym as well as in the gym, should the head coach order a drug test on the player because he's suspects things aren't right? or should HC just let it slide thinking it will only a matter of time anyway.....

Verdict.... Head Coach orders a drug test and the player has been found guilty of performance enhancing drugs and has been given 4 years on the side line... Rugby Career Over.

Question... Should've HC ordered the drug test & finish off a Award winning Career or given the player the heads up?

Footnote.. True story.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Scenario. You're a big fit running rugby player, your work rates huge, training harder than most, you almost look too good and people suspect that you might be getting help from behind the Gym as well as in the gym, should the head coach order a drug test on the player because he's suspects things aren't right? or should HC just let it slide thinking it will only a matter of time anyway...

Verdict.. Head Coach orders a drug test and the player has been found guilty of performance enhancing drugs and has been given 4 years on the side line. Rugby Career Over.

Question. Should've HC ordered the drug test & finish off a Award winning Career or given the player the heads up?

Footnote.. True story.

Marquis player on big salary?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn't think coaches or administrators could order players to undergo drug testing other than possibly immediately prior to them being signed i.e. the standard pre-employment drug & alcohol testing all us mortal folk are used to.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I didn't think coaches or administrators could order players to undergo drug testing other than possibly immediately prior to them being signed i.e. the standard pre-employment drug & alcohol testing all us mortal folk are used to.

yep, that is my understanding too. RUPA very involved in that decision.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah under the drugs policy, only RA appointed testers can collect a sample, usually at random or under supervision of the RA medical officer It's pretty black and white.

No Club shall test a Player for Illicit Drugs.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Marquis player on big salary?

It's a little-known alternative fact that the Marquis of Queensbury & the Marquis de Sade quit the yet-to-exist IRB after a fuwious argument re: the yet-to-be-written Law re: striking an opponent. The former demanded rigorously defined areas & methods of striking whereas the latter, being French & somewhat of a Sadist, proposed a more laissez faire approach extending to eye- , nose- & occasional anus-gouging. It's a schism that may or may not still exist to this day:).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'll have a go:
My backline would be:

9 McDermott
10 Stewart
11 Daugunu
12 Paia'aua
13 Kerevi
14 Perese
15 Petaia

Really excited to see what McKay can do with this crop of young backs we've got. So much potential in these guys. Particularly interested to see how Kerevi goes, he's made real strides in improving his game the last year or two adding a bit of a kicking/playmaking game, and that's without the level of coaching he should get with McKay there. He may really start to come good as an inside centre option.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Scenario. You're a big fit running rugby player, your work rates huge, training harder than most, you almost look too good and people suspect that you might be getting help from behind the Gym as well as in the gym, should the head coach order a drug test on the player because he's suspects things aren't right? or should HC just let it slide thinking it will only a matter of time anyway...

Verdict.. Head Coach orders a drug test and the player has been found guilty of performance enhancing drugs and has been given 4 years on the side line. Rugby Career Over.

Question. Should've HC ordered the drug test & finish off a Award winning Career or given the player the heads up?

Footnote.. True story.

Yeah, I’ve heard it’s under wraps until the B-sample comes back positive. Although I’m not sure this guy was actually contracted to the Reds at any point.

And to add to the above, anyone else heard that another Reds contracted player has tested positive to cocaine?