• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, round 19 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tackle went wrong in the opinion of the officials. Yellow card. Mike Frazer is an over-officious dickbag.

Sooooooo have we hit ATD stage and we can all move on?

T

Train Without a Station

Scotty yes it would be bad if 2, 7, 9, 10 and 15 were the highest paid players at each franchise.

The Wallabies do not need 5 of each player. That means money the Wallabies need to be spending on props and locks isn't going to them, and therefore they are more likely to go overseas. How will we go in test rugby if we are trotting out of 3rd or 4th choice tight 5 because the rest weren't on enough money to keep them yet Colby Fainga'a was getting more money?

Players are like all workers, they don't jump ship for $1 more. But if there is a large gap that will seriously affect their lifestyle they'll start considering it.

How hard is it for people to understand that the ARU has contracts to cover their interests and it would not be in the best interests of the Wallabies if Super Rugby franchises used this to look after their own interests?

T

tranquility

Fisher referencing the preferential treatment this morning. Boycott the Waratahs, do not support them.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver declared at the start of the year that he was expecting big things from the star-laden NSW side. But Fisher said Pulver's praise of the Waratahs added to the Brumbies' motivation.

"It certainly makes you hungry to be successful, it adds to your desire for your team to do the absolute best they can," Fisher said.
"We might joke about [Pulver's comments] every now and then, there's a bit of banter between the coaching staff. It's not a driver of performance though."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No, you're just making that inference yourself.

If this was the start of 2013 and Pulver had said that he was expecting big things from the star-laden Reds full of Wallaby players and Fisher had said that it makes you hungry for success and they use those comments for motivation you could draw the exact same conclusion and it would be equally wrong.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Long bow to consider that preferential treatment, especially without any context. Perhaps he was asked how he expected the Waratahs to go that is a perfectly legitimate answer.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
after reading some of the later comments coming from a couple of posters - how about you learn from us tah fans about dealing with disappointment and focus your anger inwards at your coach and players for putting up consistently bad performances?

;)

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Fisher referencing the preferential treatment this morning. Boycott the Waratahs, do not support them.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver declared at the start of the year that he was expecting big things from the star-laden NSW side. But Fisher said Pulver's praise of the Waratahs added to the Brumbies' motivation.

"It certainly makes you hungry to be successful, it adds to your desire for your team to do the absolute best they can," Fisher said.
"We might joke about [Pulver's comments] every now and then, there's a bit of banter between the coaching staff. It's not a driver of performance though."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/laurie-fisher-says-brumbies-are-good-enough-to-win-super-rugby-championship-20140715-zt86a.html#ixzz37aKd5zFw

Yep, definitely no one-eyed, chip on the shoulder stuff there.

Good to see you reading the Sydney fairfax press though mate. From your comments earlier I'd assumed you were a Courier Mail reader through and through.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I was surprised at the lack of noise up at Suncorp, but more surprised at the people leaving at the 50min mark or earlier. After watching the replay it sounded much louder but there it felt flat.

Sooo anyway....there are two games coming up this weekend which are far more interesting than the re-hashing the same stuff from last week & before.

T

Train Without a Station

Pretty standard stuff from Laurie there. I'm sure back in his days at the Reds Link would have used any perceived selection snubs of his players as motivation for the team.

T

tranquility

No, you're just making that inference yourself.

If this was the start of 2013 and Pulver had said that he was expecting big things from the star-laden Reds full of Wallaby players and Fisher had said that it makes you hungry for success and they use those comments for motivation you could draw the exact same conclusion and it would be equally wrong.

Umm, wouldn't the Brumbies be the natural choice to "talk-up" considering they were last years finalists, and the other side not making the finals?

But sure, I guess it makes complete sense. o_O

Anyone in Pulver's position would want to get ROI after investing so much of the limited resources at his disposal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Umm, wouldn't the Brumbies be the natural choice to "talk-up" considering they were last years finalists, and the other side not making the finals?

Anyone in Pulver's position would want to get ROI after investing so much of the limited resources at his disposal.

He probably would have if the question had been asked by a Canberra journalist for the Canberra Times.

T

tranquility

He probably would have if the question had been asked by a Canberra journalist for the Canberra Times.

He was not speaking with a singular reporter from Sydney. Why would he waste his time?

This was the official Super Rugby introduction to all media outlets. If my memory serves me, he wasn't answering a question. He was a pre-written sermon. I'm sure the Canberra Times were present.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Who knows what the rest of the comments in the interview were.

But when something is as innocuous as Pulver's comments drive preciousness to level meh ........................... faaark

T

tranquility

The official media event for the start of super rugby by the CEO of the ARU is not "innocuous."

Status
Not open for further replies.