• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Force Round 2 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I do wonder whether its really all the 2 coaches fault. Does a coach really make both teams play as poorly as that? Can they really make such a huge difference and turn a team from that rubbish into a top flight team??

I remain less than convinced. There are other factors at play, Australia cannot possibly support 5 Super Rugby teams, too many teams also causes damage to the game in this country IMO.

The lack of a competition of the quality of ITM Cup or Curry Cup is another - and related factor. Then we have so little quality club rugby at the level below NRC. The whole structure and organisation of the game in this country probably need a re-think.

Thats not likely to happen, to many vested interests at play and it would mean a total restructure of the concept of Super Rugby. Anyway, discussion for another thread and time!
Yeah, they can.
Look at the improvement Cheika found in both the Tahs @ Wobblies in a short time.

The Reds have been going backwards ever since RG turned up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Simmons sitting there looks exactly how Horwill did when he use to sit there 2 years back ?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I am very interested that Foley has actually followed through and has attempted to play a ball in hand game. The forwards are struggling with the handling aspects and as the players tired they get narrow and stop working hard enough off the ball to create the overlaps and doubt in the defence and they fall back into the risk free grinding game plan. But credit where it is due, after all these years 5 at the Tahs and now 4 or 5 at the Force it has finally dawned on him that you can't win enough games to serious competition for the good teams by playing the risk averse game, even when you have basically a test side running out as he did at the Tahs.

It is just a pity it has taken so long for a bloke who was the best forwards coach in Australia for so long to realise this, because the damage it has done to the fan base is pretty significant with even the title win in NSW not enough to bring back a lot of fans. Its also the lost time that a Province like WA just couldn't afford when they are trying to build and become financially viable.
It probably helps that the ARU own the franchise license. I doubt he's changed the game plan for any other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I was at the game, very ugly. I wonder how bad the crowd would be without the Japanese contingent there - lots of them around my section of the stadium. Not sure that I would be selecting Goromaru quickly based on his performance tonight - goal kicking was ordinary, some of the kicks in play weren't great - one from right in front of me into the middle of the field he didn't bother to chase at all and didn't seem inclined to run it much and when he did there was no threat. In fact the best chasing of a kick I thought was Nabuli chasing his own kick and it actually led to a Force knock on.

Really we must have only taken the ball in hand into their 22 only about twice. Why do our backs seem to offer so little penetration?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gave up after 20 mins of this cripplefight. Tough though for the Reds with only 14 contributing players; Worlds Greatest Player Goromaru made ONE touch finder then utterly vanished. Couldnt even see him in the entire screen on D for the kick through and he's the fuckin fullback. Maybe he needed his interpreter to tell him to WAKE UP and HAUL FUCKIN' ARSE back there

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
The lack of depth in Australian rugby on full display tonight. 30 bigger plodders you will not find.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds pack were ok. Obviously very strong at the set piece, and competent around the field. Some dire dropped ball though by Holmes, Simmons and Neville (and others I am sure). I thought Neville (despite two late drops) and Tui were our best. A shame to see Tui helped from the field. I expect we will lose him now?

Gill
Lolo Fak
Adam Korz
Tui

and then Gunn.

Our backs were pretty crap. It says something about Frisby's form in that Gale is looking better than him at the moment. McIntyre was pretty bloody dire. Terrible kicking game and, whilst he did take the ball to the line more often, too regularly it was sideways.

When was the last time Kerevi made a break?

CFS is a passenger and too slow for wing. He needs to go.

Goro did some basic things ok (which probably sets him apart in this Reds backline) but stuffed up to (which means he fits in with the Reds backline).

Hunt was ok and probably remains our best back, but overall they were poor. Our game management is shite and just overall game awareness is pathetic.

I'd be making changes. Greene and Laloifi in for JMc and CFS. At least.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's generous, but then I don't think they realise that the paid staff, security and media are supposed to be counted.
We still used to get around 15.5k in 2007 at our worst. Probably in line for that or less for rest of this year.

Even though my seat meant to be behind the sticks, no trouble sitting on 40m line tonight where I also spent most of last season as no stadium members turn up to watch such rubbish.

Absolutely zero atmosphere there tonight and zero attempt to create a positive one from Reds management. No "We Are Red" man, no kettle drums, no cheergirls, no nothing. May as well have been a funeral for Qld Rugby.

Clean them out and start again! The Reds are in the entertainment business and we are not entertained!

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
The Reds pack were ok. Obviously very strong at the set piece, and competent around the field. Some dire dropped ball though by Holmes, Simmons and Neville (and others I am sure). I thought Neville (despite two late drops) and Tui were our best. A shame to see Tui helped from the field. I expect we will lose him now?

Gill
Lolo Fak
Adam Korz
Tui

and then Gunn.

Our backs were pretty crap. It says something about Frisby's form in that Gale is looking better than him at the moment. McIntyre was pretty bloody dire. Terrible kicking game and, whilst he did take the ball to the line more often, too regularly it was sideways.

When was the last time Kerevi made a break?

CFS is a passenger and too slow for wing. He needs to go.

Goro did some basic things ok (which probably sets him apart in this Reds backline) but stuffed up to (which means he fits in with the Reds backline).

Hunt was ok and probably remains our best back, but overall they were poor. Our game management is shite and just overall game awareness is pathetic.

I'd be making changes. Greene and Laloifi in for JMc and CFS. At least.

Agree on CFS Reg, he offers nothing, I don't understand how he can keep getting selected. Nabuli offered some threat and I thought Hunt was okay, but Kerevi just runs into people and doesn't get through. Goromaru disappointed - if you're picked as a goal kicker and the shots aren't difficult angles then you should get them- he offered little else. Just clueless all round, good scrum though.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
The lack of depth in Australian rugby on full display tonight. 30 bigger plodders you will not find.

Couldn't agree more. Outside of Holmes (possibly Simmons) I don't think any of the players out there would tonight would deserve a Wallaby call up. 0 attacking enterprise, and yet both teams managed to be fairly poor defensively too. The amount of dropped ball, the general pace of the game and the metres actually made by each team when they tried to play with ball in hand is an indictment on how bad both are.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Couldn't agree more. Outside of Holmes (possibly Simmons) I don't think any of the players out there would tonight would deserve a Wallaby call up. 0 attacking enterprise, and yet both teams managed to be fairly poor defensively too. The amount of dropped ball, the general pace of the game and the metres actually made by each team when they tried to play with ball in hand is an indictment on how bad both are.

I'm afraid it will only get worse over the next year or two. Imagine the Brumbies next year minus Tomane, To'omua and potentially Pocock.

Agree on CFS. Still had high hopes for him until 2 games ago. Can't catch, can't kick, can't run, can't bust a tackle, can't look interested. Time to get rid of him.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't know. Maybe I've finally lost the plot? But I didn't think it was that bad. I should've prefaced that by saying, pre game my expectation was that I was about to watch one of the worst games of rugby I'd ever seen and so from that starting point, it was going to be hard to be too disappointed.
I thought our centres were ok but shit they were heavily marked. The force could hit them with two or three guys because that's all we ever did, was give it to one of them to try and bash it up.
Tui was one of our best and toiled hard. Not sure what the injury was that saw him off but at one stage it looked to be just bad cramp. Fingers crossed anyway.
Frisbys service was just terrible. So slow and not very accurate. I'd start Gale next week and McIntyre looked better, playing flatter and taking the ball to the line but still looked out of depth.
I also thought that while Goromaru had a bad night, particularly kicking at goal (that was terrible) he did some good things.
Nabuli needs to get more ball to develop some confidence. His touches were good but he always looked like he was upset with them. More pill will help him feel more confident.
Apart from the few dropped balls (he wasn't alone though) I thought Neville had a good game, as did Simmons. I got a bit nostalgic watching Red 4 run around with the light blue head gear all night. Fuck, what we wouldn't give to have Horwill back at the moment.

Ready had a good game too!

Anyway, summing up, that was shit but I was expecting a turd of a game so I still managed to take some positives out of it. ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
From the comments section of the GaGR match review on Facebook.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457212083.496971.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with the criticism of both sides being aired on this thread. An entirely abysmal game to watch. Think Scoey is being too lenient in his comments though. No matter how low the expectations, I cannot imagine how a game like that could leave many positive thoughts at all in the manner it transpired.

As for individuals, Rob Simmons played like the man that left every fan from other teams bewildered about his selection in the Wallabies. Dumb penalties and spoiling tactics, intentional or not, hard to fathom with Rob. Does he mean to do the dumb acts or is it just his makeup?

Hunt ran straight but was turned over nearly every time he was tackled. No idea apparently about protecting the ball when tackled.

Force won due to better defense structure I thought.

I don't accept that such a deplorable exhibition is the fault of the players though. Says a lot more about the lack of quality in the coaching ranks I believe. But the Reds' players showed a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the NRC is the next level down from Super Rugby why are club teams mentioned and not NRC teams?

This really does not matter but it would have been like having the junior club or school named prior to NRC existing (2 levels below Super Rugby)

Possibly because the ARU Registration database is based on a player registering with a Club. The lucky ones then get to be selected for NRC and/or Super Rugby.

Some Super Rugby players do not play NRC due to Wallaby duties, "off season" surgery etc, so there would be some gaps if the NRC team was listed although Wallaby players were "allocated" to NRC franchises even if there was little or no chance of them playing for the NRC allocated team.

Status
Not open for further replies.