• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3 : Reds v Crusaders - 11 March 2017 - Suncorp Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rubbish. By this marking criteria Chieka would've gotten the sack from the Tahs in his first season. They didn't sack him though, they realised that change of that scale takes time. I don't remember how that worked out for the Tahs though? That's right they were champions the next year. What a fucking shitheap they were. They didn't win it in Chiekas first year.
Sympathetic excuses and stories of what might happen next year are nice.

Wins are what counts.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey - since around 2013 or so I'm just waiting for that day - when we play really well and consistently and win, with skill, intensity and flair, a deserved victory over a well-matched team.

I can see that my absence from such commentaries has made your heart grow bitterer, not fonder.

I understand why.
We are all, every single one of us, waiting for that day.

Again though, you've misunderstood me. I was actually thinking of you at the start of the season. There was a lot to be happy about and I was actually looking forward to seeing you post again, but actually post about the positive stuff. But you didn't. You waited for a loss, to post again, about something negative. Your absence didn't make my heart grow bitter. The manner of your return did.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Sympathetic excuses and stories of what might happen next year are nice.

Wins are what counts.
Of course they are but they aren't the only thing. Tell me though. You said if we are 1 from 5, Stiles should be sacked. Chieka was 1 from 5 in 2013 (his first year with the Tahs). So you would've sacked him. He clearly had a fucking good plan for the team but of course this is pro sports. Get wins or tell your story walking hey.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^ (to Scoey)

Very amusing.

You said more or less the same thing (to me and others) when defending/excusing/justifying RG for years as you did.. until the consensus finally turned and it was 1000% clear he was a total, utter dud.

You are driven - and I respect it - by obsessive, blind loyalty to the Reds; I am driven by a hankering for objective and clear rugby excellence in a team that, I guarantee it, I followed and invested in just as much as you, though in a different way.

I won't be deterrred by your patronising demands of my conduct in commentary.
My thinking is that it will take a lot of time for us to learn how to win after perfecting how to lose under RG.

The two matches I've watched have been a completely different reds to the previous years, and I'm liking where they are going.

Stiles mightn't be the one to make them winners all the time, but I'm hoping he undoes the damage RG did so whoever comes after can do the job.

TenVsRhys

Frank Row (1)
There were a lot of good signs in that game. Or in the first 60 at least. I know a lot of people are talking fitness but the team on the field for that last 20 was very very green and tactically at the death, they left themselves open to what transpired.

I'm looking at the positives right now though, namely:
  • A number of the juniors look good (Rodda, Paia’aua, Perese, etc)
  • The attitude/accountability the team and management are talking is on point. They're not blaming others, they're holding themselves to a higher standard.
  • The NF/QC (Quade Cooper) combo looked better tonight..
  • Defensive pressure/aggression was excellent.
That's not to shade over the fact they let a very winnable game go tonight, nor that there's a lot of room to improve, and it killed me watch it unfold! But it feels like there's a pride in this Reds team that's been missing.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
10. If another poster does not understand or agree with your point after 3 or 4 attempts, LET IT GO, WALK AWAY. It is very boring for other posters when the thread gets hijacked by two people having an argument. Let this be your guide:

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Izaia Perese was pretty impressive taking on the Crusaders. Every hit up he got over the gain line, few more games and Red will have 2 good hard ball runners in the back line with kerevi.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
it is a on second game 79.59-80.00

The cru won but they were far from an 80 minute team.
Yeah but they got the result and reds had a 17 point lead and still lost. They need to focus on their own performance and accept to lose this game not good enough.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rubbish. By this marking criteria Chieka would've gotten the sack from the Tahs in his first season. They didn't sack him though, they realised that change of that scale takes time. I don't remember how that worked out for the Tahs though? That's right they were champions the next year. What a fucking shitheap they were. They didn't win it in Chiekas first year.
In fairness yes stiles needs to be judged on the whole.season and not 3 games. But I get why oz Rugby fans would be impatient after very poor season for oz super rugby sides last year and moreso reds for quite a few seasons. At least the reds have beaten 1 foreign super rugby side and can't say same for rebels or tahs. As a tahs supporter, tahs look in worse shape than reds.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was at the game last night and I admit I still not sure how the Reds blew that. As for whoever said the ref gave the Crusaders 10 points, what a load of bloody rubbish!! The Reds lost I think because of bloody mental fortitude, or lack thereof. Though I think kudos have to be given to those young guys in Crusaders backline , they looked a little lost when Dagg and Tamilavu were injured, but you could see them slowly working out how to handle things, and settled down to be quite competent. I had feeling that Crotty was trying to keep them organised. When oh when are the Reds going to learn when the ball is put up in the air, chase the bloody thing and hard! When the Crusaders kicked there always seemed to be pressure on the receiver (who invariably kicked it back), when the Reds kicked most times there was a couple of chasers and Crusaders (whose players had worked to get back in support) would generally throw a couple of wide passes and try and attack. Mental fortitude and bloody laziness!

I was a bit disappointed in the abuse the refs got from the crowd (in my area anyway) at times, and wonder what game some of the people around me were watching. Also was amazed to see the number of people that were leaving with 3 minutes to go, there was 1 point in the game at that stage, and if it was that urgent to get home why bother going to the game to start with!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no way the Crusaders should've won that, esp after Taufua got binned. As several others have commented, it's gotta be a mental thing with the Reds not having the nous to play the last few minutes at the other end of the field. That said with that forward pack you should be able to hit it up three or four times & put it to the stands as soon as the siren goes.

Last pass for the Nabuli try looked iffy but other than that & the usual 50/50 calls that no ref is ever gunna get 100% right I don't think either team or their supporters have much to bitch about officiating-wise.

Can't help but notice that Torp has yet to "get in character" & has made at least a coupla rational posts recently..........

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I was stunned when the Reds decided to bash it up when they had the ball in the final minute or two of the game.

They lack the grit and composure to do that. They should have "kicked it to the s***house" to quote a former World Cup winning coach.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Izaia Perese was pretty impressive taking on the Crusaders. Every hit up he got over the gain line, few more games and Red will have 2 good hard ball runners in the back line with kerevi.

They need a bit more than "hard ball runners". They need just a tiny bit of creativity, and a bit of variety. Both conspicuous by their absence last night.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah but they got the result and reds had a 17 point lead and still lost. They need to focus on their own performance and accept to lose this game not good enough.

I can accept it.

I realise we were beaten by a better team, the bookies all thought this, it was reflected on tipping sites too.

I recall only one person on this site thinking the Reds had a chance.

This season is a rebuilding season, we wont win everything but there have been positives that can be taken from the game and used moving forward.

The best thing is that the other Aussie teams are also shit so we are equal first in the conference so at this stage could be finals bound even with all of these issues.

I hate seeing the Reds lose, but it is not the end of the world

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I think the point differential tells its own story and if you look at the point differential between other Aussie teams against NZ teams, Reds are certainly not the worst and in my opinion, can hold their head up, still room to improve of course.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I thought the Reds played well. They created the opportunities but didn't take them all, while the cru took all of theirs and got out of jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.