• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Jerseys and Merch Deals

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Perhaps an overall price reduction might have the effect of getting more people to buy and wear the gear to home matches.
You would think that would make sense and the same rule should apply to tickets to go to the game. however i recall the point being discussed on another thread and i think it was Scarfie or Moses who explained why it doesn't work but i can't remember the answer. Not much help am I.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
One of my pet gripes is going to watch the Tahs and seeing so little sky blue at the stadium.

As a whole, Tahs fans don’t seem to get into wearing the team colours (Why is that? It’s not magenta or lime green.) or generating much atmosphere at the SFS. The most animated I recall seeing the fans was the Cheetahs game in the 2011 season, but for the wrong reasons though. Hopefully, there will be more sky blue in the crowd in 2012 as season ticket holders received a scarf as part of the package.

All the kit is made in china and would not cost more than $20 each jersey delivered to Asutralia. I don't know how the manufacturers justify selling the gear for $150 a pop and then put it on sale for $25 which would only be enough to cover costs, it's a deadset ripoff and i refuse to buy something that is so over-priced!!!

Sometimes you can get lucky and find licensed gear made in Australia, but very rare nowadays….some of the NRL 2011 Dragons jersey were made in Australia.

The markups for the official team gear would be substantial. There was a big uproar in NZ this year over the pricing of the All Blacks jersey which was considerably cheaper to buy overseas than in NZ itself. Rebel Sport in NZ said their margin was 7% so someone further up the chain must be making a lot of money, especially at the wages they pay the workers who make the jerseys. The NZ Herald covered the story:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10743045

Interesting to note that the NRL Parramatta Eels are sourcing their own jerseys in 2012 in a pilot program. So this should reduce the cost base of the jersey, but I wouldn’t expect any price reduction though.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Absolutely agree Hawko. All the kit is made in china and would not cost more than $20 each jersey delivered to Asutralia. I don't know how the manufacturers justify selling the gear for $150 a pop and then put it on sale for $25 which would only be enough to cover costs, it's a deadset ripoff and i refuse to buy something that is so over-priced!!!

Which is why websites like Pro-Direct will prosper. They have a warehouse in a small town in Devon and can ship a jersey to an Australian address for less than half the price of a retail outlet here. Even if the dollar depreciates 20% it's still attractive pricing.

Manufacturers and retailers have been treating Australian consumers like mugs for years and finally will have to re-examine their pricing structures because of the global market that the Web has created.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Interesting to note that the NRL Parramatta Eels are sourcing their own jerseys in 2012 in a pilot program. So this should reduce the cost base of the jersey, but I wouldn’t expect any price reduction though.

This is very interesting. I think that the NRL licencing fee's may creep up. But as a whole well supported clubs like Parra, Saints and Souths should be able to seel their stuff cheaper.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
This is very interesting. I think that the NRL licencing fee's may creep up. But as a whole well supported clubs like Parra, Saints and Souths should be able to seel their stuff cheaper.

I saw the 2012 Eels jersey at Rebel last night selling for $160 so it looks like the Eels are pocketing the gains themselves. If this is successful, no doubt other teams/codes could get in on the act. It then would be intriguing to see what the major brands/suppliers do in response.

T

TOCC

Don't ignore the benefits of economies of scale and guaranteed contract fees...

Clothing producers pay for the clothing for the advertising aspect as well..

Economies of scale comes into play in terms of things such as promotion, design, distribution, management and production.. The Eels will never be able to match the production costs of Nike/Kooga/Canterbury.

Clothing producers are also able to offset any excess production costs In one line by higher sales in another one...
Ie, the brumbies gear would ave sold poorly in 2011 with excess stock in the market, yet the Reds would have sold well..

I think it's a backwards step by the Eels, they are increasing they potential gains, but also exposing themselves to higher costs and liability..

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I think it's a backwards step by the Eels, they are increasing they potential gains, but also exposing themselves to higher costs and liability..

I agree and when Pirtek (Eels jersey sponsor) threaten to pull the plug over board issues, Parra were shitting themselves because they had made all the merchandise with Pirtek written all over everything.

Huge risk, minimal gain.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
on ebay type in 'rugby s/s' and you will see the 2nds or slightly damaged ones but new. Great for training, ive picked up a couple of adidas training jerseys for $3, no joke and the marks are so small you cant see them anyway.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Which is why websites like Pro-Direct will prosper. They have a warehouse in a small town in Devon and can ship a jersey to an Australian address for less than half the price of a retail outlet here. Even if the dollar depreciates 20% it's still attractive pricing.

Manufacturers and retailers have been treating Australian consumers like mugs for years and finally will have to re-examine their pricing structures because of the global market that the Web has created.

Sadly it seems that Kooga's examination of their pricing structures has resulted in them whacking up the prices they charge in the UK too. Reds, Rebels and Force 2012 jerseys have just appeared on the Lovell Rugby website for £69.99 so an extra £15 compared to last season....

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Sadly it seems that Kooga's examination of their pricing structures has resulted in them whacking up the prices they charge in the UK too. Reds, Rebels and Force 2012 jerseys have just appeared on the Lovell Rugby website for £69.99 so an extra £15 compared to last season....

It won't matter what the price of the Reds jersey is as they will sell heaps of them on the back of last year.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah think I'll get a Georgia one for one of my mates. Almost got him convinced to play this season on the basis of watching Georgia at the World Cup.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Very tempted - some of the best jerseys in world rugby.

Definitely recommend the Canadian jersey as I have one. It's a simple design, but works well as it is not cluttered with piping/sponsors etc. I like the darker shade of red and the embossed maple leaves adds something different to it.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just tried to order the Canadian jersey but it's sold out in most sizes. Oh well, I'll settle for the Georgian and Romanian ones instead.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Just tried to order the Canadian jersey but it's sold out in most sizes. Oh well, I'll settle for the Georgian and Romanian ones instead.

I bet that word got around quick as they ship internationally, alas there were none on the Rugby Canada website. They may have been the last one's in existance. Keep your eye out at Rebel i reckon.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Canterbury are offering the 2012 Waratahs (Home and Away) jerseys at the following prices:

Mens - $120 (RRP $160)
Womens - $110 (RRP $140)
Kids - $100 (RRP $130)

The discounted prices are available until 25 February 2012 via www.canterburyshop.com.au using the promo code WTAH2012PREORDER.

Although it's supposed to be a member offer, the Canterbury website doesn't appear to require a member number.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Canterbury are offering the 2012 Waratahs (Home and Away) jerseys at the following prices:

Mens - $120 (RRP $160)
Womens - $110 (RRP $140)
Kids - $100 (RRP $130)

The discounted prices are available until 25 February 2012 via www.canterburyshop.com.au using the promo code WTAH2012PREORDER.

Although it's supposed to be a member offer, the Canterbury website doesn't appear to require a member number.

So glad I got my last year's version at the sale. Even at $120, expecting most Tah supporters to wear it to the matches is just too much. I can lament the lack of Tah colours in the stadium all I like, but at these prices its only for the rich.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In case people haven't seen it hiding away on the SA thread, here is a look at the Stade Francais, I mean Bulls 2012 Away Jersey....

Thoughts? Would you be happy if your side ran out in a Pink & Purple jersey? For mine, this thing makes the Highlanders Highlighter Green jersey look good.

Bulls 2012 Away.jpg