• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw something today on TV that I always wanted to see in a game but never did until now.

Tokyo Sevens — Aus v NZ

Bryce Heem of NZ gets the ball and is stood up by Aussie Allan Fa'alava'au who is soon supported by Ed Jenkins. Two other Aussies come into help also.

Nobody goes to ground and no progress can be made after a while; so it's a scrum, right?

Right—and Aus gets the feed because NZ couldn't "use it" from a maul, right?

Wrong—there was no maul: it takes at least two attackers and one defender to comprise a maul. NZ got the put-in to the scrum.

It was a situation where the ball couldn't come out in general play so NZ, who were going forward when it started got the put-in.

Why did no other Kiwi come into help Heem?

They knew the law.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
And then slightly later in the same game the Thunderbolts did similar, and the NZ response was to grab hold of one of the pillars, who were not bound over the ball at that time, to try and make it a maul.

The outcome... The Ref pinged the NZ team for off side offence earlier in the play so we will never know if the correct defence to the "no maul" is to drag a bystander into the wrestle to make it a maul.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Another thing I hadn't seen.

I don't want to give a spoiler about the Sevens but Team A was ahead of Team B and threw to the lineout with 9 seconds to go, 30 metres out from Team B's goal-line.

Team A wins the lineout and the scrummie passes the ball to his backline. The second guy to get it runs to the goal-line—his own !!!

He runs over his own dead-ball line and it's game over.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Sevens - the great innovators.

Was one of Sevens greatest innovations the 46-0 score that Fiji secured over NZ few rounds ago?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I saw something today on TV that I always wanted to see in a game but never did until now.

Tokyo Sevens — Aus v NZ

Bryce Heem of NZ gets the ball and is stood up by Aussie Allan Fa'alava'au who is soon supported by Ed Jenkins. Two other Aussies come into help also.

Nobody goes to ground and no progress can be made after a while; so it's a scrum, right?

Right—and Aus gets the feed because NZ couldn't "use it" from a maul, right?

Wrong—there was no maul: it takes at least two attackers and one defender to comprise a maul. NZ got the put-in to the scrum.

It was a situation where the ball couldn't come out in general play so NZ, who were going forward when it started got the put-in.

Why did no other Kiwi come into help Heem?

They knew the law.

This happened again in the Aus vs USA Plate Final and one of the Australian players pulled one of the USA players who was standing nearby into the tackle contest to make it a maul (one USA player had the ball and was being held up by a couple of Australian players).

At least the Aussies learned the law from the quarter final to the plate final!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Something interesting I found - a pre-game "Haka" was performed by a large number of students from North-West University (NWU), in a Varsity Cup match in South Africa.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
haha I think I saw 2 wee token bleck boys in there amongst the 600 white power frat boys. Bad news fellas, race quota was raised to 60% today, immediate cessation of school funding haha

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Somewhat bizarre game between Gloucester and Bath, reminiscent of an out of control subbies game. The fierce rivals were both needing a win to secure important positions on the ladder. It was always going to be an ugly encounter and referee Wigglesworth drew the short straw to control. That said, his pedantic decisions caused extreme frustration among players, spectators and commentators. Not surprising the game descended into a farce. 5 yellow and 2 red cards were given, with Gloucester ending up with 11 on the pitch. Will be interested if there is any post game review and additional sanctions. Also thought Gloucester replacement half Knoyle was being a little foolish in starting a fist fight with Perenise, who to his credit took the first two punches before retaliating. Knoyle possibly needs to watch some heavyweight boxers in action to appreciate the damage one of these guys can inflict with a well timed hit.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Saw this on the reddit rugby union boards earlier today:

I'm not really familiar with rugby but I just thought you guys might find this story interesting.
Rugby is not a big sport here in Slovenia but yesterday 2500 people turned up for a game against Bulgaria in Ljubljana. Slovenia won 43:17 ensuring their place in the ENC 2C division.
The game was all the more special as 5 Škoflič brothers from Lancarshire all got their debut for Slovenia making history in the process. Their names are George, Archie, Jack, Frankie & Max who was selected MVP of the game.
They are eligible to play for Slovenia as their grandfather emigrated from Maribor to England. The guys are fantastic and have even learned the Slovenian national anthem ahead of the game.
Article + video of yesterday's game in Slovenian with an interview in English: http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/preostal...nabito-polno-tribuno-nadigrali-bolgare/334449
Google translated interview with the Škoflič brothers: http://translate.google.com/transla...o-hrusti-iz-anglije/334169&edit-text=&act=url

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is a good rugby story, and here seems as good a place for it as any:

I was in Flagstaff, Arizona last week, on my own. Being solo can make it a bit difficult to find people to hang out/drink with, so imagine my surprise when I walked into a bar and saw a section roped off with a sign saying 'rugby function here'.

Well I had a few drinks then decided to wander over and say hi. Turns out it was the visiting Tuscon Lions, and upon hearing I was a visiting rugby player they took it upon themselves to include me on their pub crawl and introduce me to everyone they knew in town. I was then offered accommodation if I was visiting Tuscon (i wasn't), and I didn't have to pay for a drink all night.

This is what I love about rugby, it is an international fellowship.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There is some fantastic stuff in super rugby happening at the moment, bring people together.

The PI players and the after game prayer with players from both sides. Happened in the Brumbies game last night vs the Chiefs and it happened a couple of weeks back in the Reds vs Brumbies game. Shame we were all to busy bitching about the Moore incident.

Highlanders vs Sharks, the hand shake between Smith and Steyn after their little dust up was class. They set a great example for all the juniors playing. Probably made the refs job of controlling the game a little easier also.

The SA commentators took a moment to acknowledge ANZAC day. Classy act given we have opposed SA in conflict in the past.

I hope to see more of it. Rugby is at its best when it brings people together.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In that Sharks v. Highlanders match the Sharks were not allowed a try because of play beyond the breakdown when a defender was moved sideways and created a gap for a ball runner.

The commentators thought that the Sharks were disadvantaged but refs have been instructed to watch for that kind of thing—just ask Ed Quirk.

But that happens all the time so what's my point?

It is that Jaco Peyper blew his whistle to stop play before Mvovo grounded the ball for the "try".

When Peyper looked at the replay he said he was happy with his decision and the TMO sounded surprised.

I think that Peyper erred and should have blown his whistle after the ball was grounded. I had the feeling that Peyper was seeking to justify his decision to blow early when he watched the replay.

Whatever, it wasn't a good look Jaco.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In that Sharks v. Highlanders match the Sharks were not allowed a try because of play beyond the breakdown when a defender was moved sideways and created a gap for a ball runner.

The commentators thought that the Sharks were disadvantaged but refs have been instructed to watch for that kind of thing—just ask Ed Quirk.

But that happens all the time so what's my point?

It is that Jaco Peyper blew his whistle to stop play before Mvovo grounded the ball for the "try".

When Peyper looked at the replay he said he was happy with his decision and the TMO sounded surprised.

I think that Peyper erred and should have blown his whistle after the ball was grounded. I had the feeling that Peyper was seeking to justify his decision to blow early when he watched the replay.

Whatever, it wasn't a good look Jaco.
Haven't seen it yet but sounds very dodgy: compare that to the length of time Pollock (who did not have his best game) was prepared to let the phase run to check the video when grounded.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
well that was weird. channel surfed across "Japan XV vs Asian & Pacific Development XV" or something, in Japan, Tana Umaga in the stands as coach?

pretty embarrassing Japan lost. Other team were a half-arsed chubby rabble

http://jrfu.org/jrfu/index.php/latest/item/208-japan-xv-fall-to-asia-pacific-dragons

Isaac Ross, still only visible in the drinks breaks

Nili Latu's still got it though.

Radike Samo at #8! Not keen to go to ground. At all

Tusi Pisi at 1st 5. v.sharp.

Mapusua at 2nd. these days he looks like he's on the pavlovian diet. all day. including match days. Fat as all fuck!

Jesus, was that Rupeni at 13? He makes Mapusua look like an underfed Ethiopian POW.

Status
Not open for further replies.