• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

I don't think a schools model (no matter how you create it) is a viable option for Rugby's survival, especially in the long run. Most, if not all non-private/non-sports high schools, have the resources to cater for an elite rugby program. It's more then just the boys; the gym for S&C (which is extremely important in the modern game), pools for recovery etc.

The reality is that a proper age-based tiered club system needs to be developed, with proper elite programs. 99% of junior club teams train once a week, don't do any conditioning work and to be frank, is social rugby. Perhaps expanding the current representative system to include weekly games, and a structured professional program that mirrors it's grade counterparts.

I get your point and dont disagree, but I did say the schools and Clubs are the nurseries, and "get em while they're young'' is a good policy, considering the competition from other sports.

A strategy to grow the game in the non-private/non-sports high should be on the cards; hopefully it is.

However, this doesnt take away from the very positive effect the private schools rugby competitions have on Australian rugby.

Its unique. I would say it's the most entertaining and enjoyable form of rugby being played at the moment and proves to be very enjoyable for the players, especially if they can make their school's 1st XV team, and especially if they can go on to make Rep honours.

So much so that it can sway students who grew up playing league, to pursue rugby after leaving school.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
You know a true competition may well be the answer here - a school boy rugby competition all comers welcome not just elite GPS schools etc. How is it a competition with only 5-6 schools anyway. Logistically a nightmare so maybe just 1st VX sides and others continue as is. This would allow the big guns to stay where they are and still compete at a high level. Reputations on the line, best way at to test yourself.

Reactions: WLF

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
wow . this thread seems to have died of natural causes . ie old age?!

As we hurtle towards 7000 posts your fears SDW (post#6522) have been assuaged.....

Reading through the latest flurry of impassioned content, sadly I see very little that is new. Same behaviour just different schools this time around :cool:.

No school (perhaps with the exception of SHORE) can disclaim themselves from this behaviour.

Personally I don't mind if schools offer scholarships to support those who would not be otherwise able to attend a school of privilege. If talented sport be the avenue to a scholarship opportunity, then good luck to the child and the family. Use those god given talents. No different to Music or academic!

BUT from year 7, not parachuting in from year 10.

From what I read on the QLD GPS thread, the QLD GPS scholarship system IMHO is what should be avoided.

There you go SDW:D

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
In the 14's I think Kings only have 1 boy playing both union and league ( i may be proven wrong there), and he is as good as it gets. There are some other good players in the team, but without this one kid, they would be just another team. I hope he continues playing rugby as long as possible, as I know every boy he plays against relishes the opportunity to test themsleves. My son doesnt care that these boys may or may not have scholarships when he plays them..lets just hope none of them are lost to rugby at all.

axel,

Do you know how your Knox 1's went against St. Auggies last Sat, also did your 14as play?

Agree that TKS boy is the best junior I have ever seen,I have heard he may go and play USA College basketball if an offer comes, he was in the Kings 1st basketball last year in year 7!
I also think he has a learning towards league, either way best of luck to him.

TheCuriousWatcher

Bob McCowan (2)
1st tip: Stop recruiting signed NRL league players to every GPS, CAS private school. How many end up signing with union.... maybe one in a 100 because no one wanted the player in Rugby League.

Grassroots Rugby Union is being abused by schools, NRL and the ARU itself and it hurts to see.

2nd Tip: A perfect but simple system is to focus on up club rugby not school rugby, while instilling area academies in Brisbane's North and South. These academies need to be conducted every 3 weeks, selecting kids in the Brisbane, Sunshine and Gold Coast area. You only need 3-5 players every level, if you recruit more you're wasting money and time. I know this is hard recruiting 3-5 players each grade but obviously you need great scouts to find the elite and convince them to be at the Reds rather than anywhere else.

The percentages of making the Super Rugby Comp is easier than the NRL, plus the opportunities overseas. More junior participants in rugby league than union when they get to 15 years old, plus 4 Teams in Australian Super Rugby, compared to 15 Australian teams in the NRL. That speaks how much opportunity you may have in both sports.

3rd Tip: QRU need young and active scouts and development coaches, you don't see any of them at any games repping their gear or talking to anyone. They need to play fire with fire and grab Rugby League players at a young age and introduce them to the beautiful game of rugby union.

4th Tip: How about ARU fund our club rugby, instead of the other way around! Thats absolutely ridiculous local club teams have to pay QRU/ARU.

5th Tip: Seek an new identity in Australian youth rugby, or copy NZ/England playing style. I really do believe we need to play a more set-piece, kicking, forward focused game. We've always tried to compete with the All-Blacks and their expansive and electric style of rugby, but we simply don't have the skill level or toughness of those Kiwis. Our forwards aren't aggressive enough in the grassroots rugby of QLD.

6th Tip: Allow Super rugby clubs to sign 16 years old and above, it brings commitment and loyalty from both player and club. I'm not talking massive contracts just something to entice them to stick it out and not sign with the Broncos or Cowboys etc.

side note: There's a real lack of big tough, forwards in Australian rugby....guess where they are? playing League and AFL.

end rant.

TheCuriousWatcher

Bob McCowan (2)
Maybe if Twiggy tweaked the offer to more of a spread funding packet to other states. I know it's terrible Western Force are out but they have to fix the QLD and NSW rugby before it's too late.

I want Western force back in the league in 5 years, after the ARU sort their shit out.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe if Twiggy tweaked the offer to more of a spread funding packet to other states. I know it's terrible Western Force are out but they have to fix the QLD and NSW rugby before it's too late.

I want Western force back in the league in 5 years, after the ARU sort their shit out.

Not too much tweaking necessary: think of the travel costs saved take $50m (which he donates through AIS sports grants so is tax deductible - mean ing we might be able to leverage up) and we're running a full spectrum NRC in no time.

TheCuriousWatcher

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow I didn't even know that, very interesting idea. You can tell the quality of Perth players that now play in Brisbane premier grade and Schoolboy rugby.

Nightstalker

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow I didn't even know that, very interesting idea. You can tell the quality of Perth players that now play in Brisbane premier grade and Schoolboy rugby.

As a pro watcher in these markets , can you give an idea of the status of the current schoolboys squads to represent Aust this year in regards their scholship status ,league status etc

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As a pro watcher in these markets , can you give an idea of the status of the current schoolboys squads to represent Aust this year in regards their scholship status ,league status etc
Rumour has it that 8 have signed with league already.
More directly - but by the time I post it here it's a rumour - some soup clubs are not looking at recent graduates. Presumably waiting for buying opportunities but lessening the chances of a paid rugby union career for any who need to support themselves and leaving one to wonder where we'll be in a few years time.

TheCuriousWatcher

Bob McCowan (2)
Not many this year that are actually rugby league players in that Aussie Schoolboys team. More so union players in that team being looked at or signed by NRL clubs. As most NRL signed kids who attend private schools do not try out for Union representative teams. Albert Hopoate is a rare player who made both rep teams in league and union (by the way he's 16).

I've dealt with NZ schools more so than Australian, and it's alarming to see the difference. First of all, if Rugby League wasn't around and we didn't play AFL in Victoria, we would win every world cup guaranteed. The amount of athletes we have spread across all codes is quite amazing. Kiwis only play rugby and thats it, only some are stolen from NRL teams, so they have the loyalty, the passion, and lastly the amount of players to dominate world rugby.

The Australian schoolboy team announced will lose by 50 to NZ this year.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not many this year that are actually rugby league players in that Aussie Schoolboys team. More so union players in that team being looked at or signed by NRL clubs. As most NRL signed kids who attend private schools do not try out for Union representative teams. Albert Hopoate is a rare player who made both rep teams in league and union (by the way he's 16).

I've dealt with NZ schools more so than Australian, and it's alarming to see the difference. First of all, if Rugby League wasn't around and we didn't play AFL in Victoria, we would win every world cup guaranteed. The amount of athletes we have spread across all codes is quite amazing. Kiwis only play rugby and thats it, only some are stolen from NRL teams, so they have the loyalty, the passion, and lastly the amount of players to dominate world rugby.

The Australian schoolboy team announced will lose by 50 to NZ this year.
You are a Troll.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
He may be a troll, or not, but what he says in that post reflects the view of most rugby-loving NZers living in Australia right now.

When I see the march of the AFL 4-sticks gaining momentum across all schools in Sydney and particularly in the private school system (and that's without even mentioning the huge uptake of soccer) it just makes me sad.

For my son, and for the future of rugby union in this fine land.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did he watch the game last year, does he even know the score?

Does he know Australia scored more trys than NZ in a close loss. NZ had a brilliant Goal kicker and that in the end was the difference.

This year 2 different sides anything could happen.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.