• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks v Reds Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, good to see Hanson rewarded for his strong performance by being benched.

My biggest concern is that Graham is looking for the answers in the backs when the biggest questions are in the forwards.

But how do you know?
He may be the quintessential coach in that he is allowing the perception of heavy involvement with the backs, when in fact the real tactics are strategic planning of the forwards.
As reported in Foxsports 'JAMES Horwill’s hoodoo-busters plan to hit the Sharks pack with an aggressive “win it or ruin it’’ mentality to pull off an upset in Durban'.
This might relieve your concern somewhato_O

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah, back to the original point, probably came across a bit harsh. Apologies. What I was trying to convey, was that last week showed the superiority of Hanson over Saia.

I think Saia is strong as a second scavenging forward, however in other aspects Hanson is equal or better.

T

tranquility

Yes, but does Chibba dive at the ankles of 115kg+ blokes or merely try to effect a conventional tackle on a much larger man?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pieter Steph du Toit injured. Massive MASSIVE blow for Sharks. I know nothing about his replacement Stephan Lewies, who is a big atheletic unit like PS du Toit. He has looked decent in a few cameos late in games that were already sealed.

Look for Kankowski and Alberts to get a lot more lineout ball. PS du Toit has been largely untouchable jumping at 5 this season but it' at the breakdown where he will be missed. He gets there like a loose forward and hits the ruck like two people.

Sithole to start at 13 and JP at 14 but look for them to switch in defense I reckon.

T

Tip

JAMES Horwill’s hoodoo-busters plan to hit the Sharks pack with an aggressive “win it or ruin it’’ mentality to pull off an upset in Durban'.
This might relieve your concern somewhato_O

God I wish the Reds went into every game with this mentality.

F*ck it, I wish the Wallabies would go into every game with this mentality as well.

If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up.*

*legally, without (many) fists

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Saia is strong as a second scavenging forward, however in other aspects Hanson is equal or better.
I have always thought that Saia and Gill make a better combination and Hanson and Robinson work better together.

I am sure people will post that I am wrong in this theory but I think Saia hits harder in a tackle and lower than Hanson and this allows Gill to use his speed to get in for the pilfer more effectively. Tackling at the ankles allows a quick pickup without needing to muscle out the ball.

Hanson is also good in defence but when he brings a player to the ground the ball is a little better protected by the opposition and this is where the brutality of Robinson allows him to muscle the ball for a pilfer.

Personally I would like to see both Gill and Robinson start as I have always liked the idea of two decent fetchers, when only Gill is on the field the opposition tends to try to tie him up at the previous breakdown to stop him getting to the next breakdown. If both play then the opposition would need to tie up Gill at breakdown one, Robinson at breakdown 2 and then try to get to breakdown three to get clean ball.

Reactions: Tip
T

Tip

Saia is there because he's better in the scrum and marginally better at the lineout. He seems to be one of the few hookers in Australia who can actually hook the ball. Liquor Box is completely correct - Saia's grass cuttin' leads to alot of turnovers. You don't want to be wrestling a Jake White team, you want to put them straight on the ground.

I hope the Reds do the sensible thing in defensive lineout time and take 2 steps back after the Sharks have won it and wait for Truck & trailer to be called. I've always said that the best defence against the rolling maul is no defence at all.
2 steps back, if they run at ya' with support attached, grasscut em. Simple innit!?

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
As has been said, our 2 hookers are great and I don't think Hanson's move to the bench is a judgement on his or Saias games last week.
RG must believe that Saias scrum and his defensive style will be needed early against the sharks forwards. Hanson may be brought on around the 50 to 60 minute mark and used as a impact player that may be the difference between the sides late in the game. That is provided that the reds defense can keep the sharks to 1 or 2 tries into the final stages.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Saia's presence at the breakdown is fantastic. He gives a few penalties away because he plays like another seven.

I wonder what the Reds will do to control Battleship? He is the key for mine and got to also chop down Alberts quickly. Saia can come into his own here.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Saia's presence at the breakdown is fantastic. He gives a few penalties away because he plays like another seven.

I wonder what the Reds will do to control Battleship? He is the key for mine and got to also chop down Alberts quickly. Saia can come into his own here.
I am the leading member of the Saia fan club but the one thing that did annoy me was him smiling and laughing after giving away the penalties last week

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
All of you are talking about Saia of 2012/2013

He has been complete shit in the first three games. Hanson should be starting.

I get the theory behind Saia starting (ie low tackles etc), but he has not been doing that consistently lately.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm with @Tigerland12. FingerS seems to have been playing well below par for him. Is he carrying a niggle?

I would have him riding the pine for all games, except the return match vs the Tahs, when he should start. Starting against the Tahs will clearly help him to re-gain his confidence.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
All of you are talking about Saia of 2010/2011/2012/2013

He has been complete shit in the first three games. Hanson should be starting.

I get the theory behind Saia starting (ie low tackles etc), but he has not been doing that consistently lately.

Fixed.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's what I was thinking too. We look keen to get stuck in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.