• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Steamers will be unrecognisable from 2013. At last count 10 of the starting 15 from last years GF have moved on. Testing times.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Always seems a problem when teams have huge success . Guys retire knowing they've won a premiership - and its a reasonable thing to happen! It was an aging (albeit bloody good ) side and it was likely to happen anyway I think. But Albury had a good core of younger players running around and I think they will step up. Mightn't be a premiership but they will be there and abouts I think!

Still no word on the Aggies coaching set up?

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
@namtrak; I still think Albury will finish in the top 4 in 2014 (I don't think there will be any change from 2013 semi finalists in the Premier Division) Their second grade were premiers also, so that says there is quality depth within the club.
@Bubba; An announcement is not far away for the 1st XV coaching position. Pre-season training is being treated as a trial for one prospective applicant. Hoping for some fresh playing talent when University begins, if not, I might even get a run in at least 2nd grade!!

Jack01

Frank Nicholson (4)
@namtrak; I still think Albury will finish in the top 4 in 2014 (I don't think there will be any change from 2013 semi finalists in the Premier Division) Their second grade were premiers also, so that says there is quality depth within the club.
@Bubba; An announcement is not far away for the 1st XV coaching position. Pre-season training is being treated as a trial for one prospective applicant. Hoping for some fresh playing talent when University begins, if not, I might even get a run in at least 2nd grade!!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
City had its rego day yesterday at the The Riv. Good turn out , plenty of old faces and a pleasing amount of new ones.

Plenty of stories swirling round and one particular yarn did make me laugh a little. I reckon my mate Les Muir might have to write a new story soon!

And the beers were awesome and the food great!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any pre-season games planned for any of the clubs?

Pre-season is generally based around the Coota 10's (15th March), Leeton 15's (22nd March) and SIRU 15 a side Knockout (29th March) being played over consecutive weekends leading into the first round of the season (5th April).

Some clubs do like to do their own thing though, I'm pretty sure Ag College has an annual three way competition with CSU Bathurst and Uni Norths from Canberra. They also do something with Boorowa.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
The Steamers have the Rapid-Fire Tens on the 1st of February before the Super Rugby trial between Waratahs and Rebels in Albury. And another couple of games before the season proper

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Good to see the effort getting a few kudos! Bloody hard to turn a club around when its in the doldrums but it can be done. I do hope the Yabbies have a better year (except against City !) and getting things done off the field does help on field.

Still no official word from Aggies on the coach? Been told 2 names but be interested to see what the reality is!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Heard something interesting regarding the South Coast Comp and the Monaro comp there has been a propsed conference system where instead of playing three rounds South Coast teams play Monaro clubs once - like super rugby - so south coast home and away and then Monaro home or away. So could be 15 games if we have six teams in each conference so will be at least 3 weeks longer.

This might see the cap close slightly between the Monaro/South Coast sides and Southern inland side when they meet in the provincial champs.

I know the Canberra comp has been shortened from what I have heard to 12 rounds due to the NRC - something interesting things happening - has there been any news on the draw set up for Southern Inland?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Heard something interesting regarding the South Coast Comp and the Monaro comp there has been a propsed conference system where instead of playing three rounds South Coast teams play Monaro clubs once - like super rugby - so south coast home and away and then Monaro home or away. So could be 15 games if we have six teams in each conference so will be at least 3 weeks longer.

This might see the cap close slightly between the Monaro/South Coast sides and Southern inland side when they meet in the provincial champs.

I know the Canberra comp has been shortened from what I have heard to 12 rounds due to the NRC - something interesting things happening - has there been any news on the draw set up for Southern Inland?

Sounds interesting. SIRU draft draw has been published (for 1st and 2nd Grade) since AGM last year.

http://southerninland.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=197424

I'm not aware of any discussions re Monaro/FSC/SIRU club games.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It would simply be joint Monaro/South Coast comp - not including Southern Inland at all from a club game respect.

Will be interesting to see what happens with it!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
No word yet from aggies?

Must say that playing on a day like this would be stretching the relationship!
Should be a good day down at Albury - the Steamers do know how to run a show!

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Not a lot to take from the 10's tourno on the weekend.

The Steamers were the best performed of the 4 SIRU teams on the day, but that's no real indication.

Griffith bought some big numbers which this early in the season is a pretty good indicator.

The Reddies and the Aggies performed fairly similarly. With both to get a big influx come mid Feb, I think both have solid bases to work from. I think if the Aggies get in behind Jack Burey they could be a surprise packet.

Only a few recognisable faces in the Steamers team.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Certainly will be interesting times ahead for Aggies! Good on Jack for sticking his hand up. The Captain/Coach thing is pretty hard to master, you don't quite get the same perspective as what you do from the sideline at times.

Thumbs up to the Steamers and Albury in general for the trial game on Saturday! I was safely ensconced in the Massey Ferguson marquee (well watered and fed !) and not in the direct heat of the day it was tough going as a spectator let alone as a player. Bloody hard conditions to play rugby in! Very nice of a lot of the Rebels guys to come over after and thank the sponsors and patrons. Adam Frier is a massive asset to the organisation and spreading the word amongst heathen Victorians!

Wish wagga could get something like that now......

Status
Not open for further replies.