• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The draw for the second half of the competition will be out soon, it has been circulated to all clubs via email.

Looks like there's a lot happening in the finals series this year across the many different levels with 3rd Grade and Women's essentially following their 1st and 2nd Grade teams into either the Premier or First Divisions.

To me, it looks like the 3rd Grade and Women's Competitions will play amongst each other in 3 weeks of Finals, then the "winners" of each comp will play each other on Grand Final Day.

This should make for a busier second and third week of the Finals Series this year which will be interesting to see how that comes off. For the clubs that can host with two grounds, they should be pretty happy with this.

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
With the new draw coming out today and the women following the men's teams. Does that mean they have the same finals set up? With 1 getting a bye and 2v3,4v5?
Because I'm not quite sure what you mean regarding 3rds and women's finals series yourmatesam?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I saw a copy of the Email today from Mctaggart Re; the new Draw
Generally I reckon the Board has done a really good job with the Draw because I'm sure it would be a nightmare trying to keep everyone happy.
I support the split because I don't like the alternative where like someone pointed out earlier weak Clubs would forfeit etc against the very strong teams, particularly on the road
The way i read the Email the Womens Competitions will see the top 4 from each participate in the Finals but the Board wants feedback from the Clubs as to whether they want 1 or 2 Women's Grand Finals on Sep 12.
The Walsh & Blair Cup 1st Grade Draw looks a ripper & lets face it all the Clubs have had 11 Rounds to sort themselves out. I reckonthe Young Yabbies could be a dark horse in the Romano's Cup

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks for that. I haven't seen the email, just got told about it through my club. I support two women's gf on 12th September. The more exposure the women's game have/get the more people will wanna play the game. I can understand the more experienced teams in the romano's cup would like to play against the better teams in the top tier. But for the newer teams in the competition, playing in any grand final, will help keep them interested and grow the game.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour that Cootamundra are not fielding a 2nd grade team now we've split?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour that Cootamundra are not fielding a 2nd grade team now we've split?
I heard that from the club but it appears to be false. They have been fielding two very similar teams for a few weeks now. Not sure what the wash up is though. According to the draw, Coota have two grades.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
I heard that from the club but it appears to be false. They have been fielding two very similar teams for a few weeks now. Not sure what the wash up is though. According to the draw, Coota have two grades.

That's what I thought Sam. Draw says there is 2 grades but hearing there is one? Was hoping to clear it up so I know if I have to boot up this weekend or not!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Twelve Preview:
The competition has split now and we move into the final rounds of each respective competition this weekend. Plenty to play for for all teams here and the following few weeks could see some movement of positions as the clubs progress through these remaining weeks.

It’s great to see the “regional towns” competing in the Premier Division and the Leeton/Griffith/Albury/Tumut clubs deserve some wraps for their efforts to date in 2015. They have shown up the fancier teams in the bigger centres which I believe is a positive for the zone. Leeton are streets ahead in the Club Championships which is a sensational reversal of the last couple of years.

PREMIER DIVISION:

Griffith (3) v Leeton (2) – Match of the Round @ Coro Club, Griffith

The Phantoms make the short trip down the road to the Coro Club this week take on the 3rd placed Blacks. Leeton have been playing a physical brand of footy this season which is partly due to the strength of their midfield players.

Griffith have a few injury clouds at the moment and although they will want these key players back, they do have a little bit of room to breathe at present. The likes of Daniel Dowson and Nick Gleeson are important for the Blacks go-forward.

From what I have seen of Griffith this year, their backline is where they have been doing the most damage; however the Phantoms have some handy players in the centres in Farell Moata and Max Ravouvou who can handle the likes of Sonny Salepolu and Semisi Rogoyawa. The matchups with these players will have an impact on the outcome of this game.

Both forward packs are well matched; Griffith may have dipped a bit without Gleeson and Dowson, but should have the depth in their 3rd graders to cover. The Leeton front rowers of Patu and Fili will need to work hard against Mat Vitucci and co who are developing into some of the more experienced front row combinations in the local competition.

Big Joe Penne has been playing some solid defensive footy for the Phantoms recently, and his long arms are winning them some turnovers at the breakdown. He and Andries De Meyer will be key players in this aspect of the match.

This will be an exciting encounter with these two teams happy to throw the ball around and they both love defending. For me, the team who controls that contact zone best will have the best opportunities in this game.

Tumut (5) v Albury (1) @ Jarrah Park, Tumut

The Steamers head to the hills this week to take on a Tumut outfit that need to find some form to compete with the larger clubs. The basics are there, they just need to get them to gel. To be fair to the Bulls, they have missed some key players in recent weeks with Peet Vorster and Joe Reynolds both unavailable, getting these guys back on the park will be a priority for Coach Graham.

Albury have arguably been the benchmark team of the competition in recent years, a club with the ability and nouse to attract key players and coordinate their club in a way that allows them to retain these players. Think Olds, Walker, Kora, Meakins, MacDougall – all players that the Steamers have managed to attract to the club and all have had a significant impact on the competition. 2015 is no different and you can add the name Lex Botha to the above.

2015 appears to be no different for the Steamers and you get the sense that the Steamers are starting to build again this year, they have been able to settle on combinations and appear to have a pretty strong stance across the park.

Waratahs (4) v Ag College (6) @ Conolly Rugby Park, Wagga

Although they probably shouldn’t have needed to, these guys have worked hard to make it into the Premier Division, now they get the chance to prove they deserve to be here. While this game isn’t Match of the Round, there will be a bit of a spotlight on this game as the Premier Division clubs look at what these teams have to offer.

Ag College are missing ex-Waratahs and Junee halfback Sam Hobbs who is on tour at present, his speed of service at the breakdown allowed them to be on the front foot and they are missing that first step forward. Aggies forwards are handy enough but will have a game on their hands against the Waratahs pack in this hitout.

Waratahs promised so much early in the season and have scraped into the Premier Division with four wins on the trot. That form will be handy coming into this game; however it is important to note that while they are in 4th position on the ladder, they haven’t beaten any of the teams above them on the ladder.

Consistency has been a genuine issue for both these teams this year and they have arguably been their own worst enemies on that front. Whilst I’m sure that is frustrating for the coaches, it can be a positive for them in that this is an area of the game that the players are in full control of.

FIRST DIVISION:

Deni v Temora (10) – 2nd Grade Only, no game

CSU (7) v Wagga City (8) @ Beres Elwood Oval, CSU

City’s traditionally strong forward pack has seen a makeover this season that has probably seen them lose a bit of impact on that front. There were some old heads in that forward pack who settled the game for them and these guys are proving very difficult to replace.

Reddies “never say die” attitude and ability to exploit opposition weakness has held them in good stead in the past few years. The way they manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat at key times in the game has put a number of teams to the sword in some nail-biting finishes.

For me, this game will be a close affair, City need to commit to their patterns and use their bigger forwards as an attacking weapon to allow their backs room to move. Reddies on the other hand will be happy for the game to be played on the fringes, swinging from side to side in an effort to tire their bigger opponents.

Young (9) v Coota (11) @ Hall Brothers Oval, Young

A local derby here this week in what will be some pretty fresh conditions at Hall Brothers Oval and one that will show Cootamundra what the remaining rounds will be like.

The Yabbies showed plenty or promise early in the season but have failed to transfer that promise onto the pitch which has ultimately seen them end up in the First Division, although they should be handy here over the next few weeks.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Sad to see one of the good guys of SIRU hang them up after a brilliant career both here and in premier competitions on Sydney and Canberra.

All the best for the future Rambo.

Agree, he's been an asset to Wagga City, plays hard and leads from the front for them.

The boys from City will miss him for sure.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What will City do without him ?
He has carried them for a few years now
I reckon 4 big Losses in a Row made up his mind for him

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Twelve Results:
Premier Division:
1st Grade;

;Leeton 11 d Griffith 7, Wagga Waratahs 55 d Wagga Ag College 13, Albury 40 d Tumut 3
2nd Grade;
Leeton 5 drew with Hay 5, Waratahs 24 d Ag College 14, Tumut 21 d Albury 7
3rd Grade;
Waratahs 20 d Ag College 5, Griffith 36 d Leeton 7
Womens' 7-A-Side;
Leeton 27 d Griffith 0, Ag College 15 d Waratahs 12,Tumut 5 d Albury 0

1st Division;
1st Grade
CSU 55 d Wagga City 15, Young 30 d Cootamundra 15

2nd Grade;
City 28 d CSU 0, Young 20 d Cootamundra 0
3rd Grade;
CSU 27 d City 0
Womens'-A-Side;

CSU 31 d City 10, Temora 58 d Deniliquin 0

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Looks like the Ag College bubble may have burst last saturday against Waratahs
Didn't get to the game but the word is they played pretty poorly and Waratahs capitalised on all of their mistakes & there were plenty of them
Is it a Top 4 or Top 5 this year - there seems to be a bit of confusion

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Top 5.

A. 2nd v 3rd
B. 4th v 5th

then

C. 1st v Winner A
D. Loser A v Winner B

then

E. Loser C v Winner D

then

F. Winner C v Winner E

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
OK it's a Top 5 then
Thinking ahead if Albury win the Minor Premiership do they host in Week 2 of The Finals - they should get that reward
I suppose the only drwback is that the Minor Premiers mightn't play inn both Week 1 & 3 of the Finals ?? if they qualify for the G/Final in Week 2 by winning

Status
Not open for further replies.