• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't have anywhere near the the intimate knowledge of the rugby landscape that you have Mauler. From what I can see is that the problem doesn't lie with the quality of our SIRU team. It lies with who we play. We ideally should be playing against a number of teams over a weekend. The teams involved should be of similar quality to our SIRU team. Our zone doesn't exist in isolation. Other similar zones exist right throughout NSW. With rep footy the Waratah and Brumby franchises should combine and co-operate. If that were the case then guys like you with the Rugby smarts could work it out. The mungoes don't have this issue with franchises and their rep program is better than ours.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Our zone doesn't exist in isolation. Other similar zones exist right throughout NSW. With rep footy the Waratah and Brumby franchises should combine and co-operate. The mungoes don't have this issue with franchises and their rep program is better than ours.

This is the smartest thing you've said since joining the forum in 2013 Paul and points right to the heart of a number of issues with Rugby in Australia.

The ARU fund the franchises to deliver Community Rugby, for me our development officers, pathways and programs should all work towards what's best for rugby in Australia. The franchise model works for elite level programs, but not at a community rugby level.

This is true for Juniors, Schools, Womens, Seniors, Coaches, Referees and the peripheral programs for "off-field" programs alike.

A change will never happen though while the different zones and franchises keep their territorial blinkers on.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
https://www.brumbies.com.au/2017/06/brumbies-provincial-set-nsw-country-clash/

Preview from Brumbies Rugby for this weekends clash with NSW Country

Well done to all the players in the Brumbies Provincial Team, congratulations to you all - well deserved reward for your efforts this season.

Give the Country guys hell, they may have had more time together but don't back down or be intimidated by that, take your chances when they come, play with passion and fire, tackle like demons, support each other, have fun and remember they're just blokes in orange jerseys.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
2 NSW country tries in the last 5 of the first half and 1 try in the last play of the match were the difference. ACT Provincial were leading for opening 30 minutes. Injuries to Devlin, Penne-Kafoa and Glamuzina in opening half turned momentum countries way.
Great effort from all players

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
2 NSW country tries in the last 5 of the first half and 1 try in the last play of the match were the difference. ACT Provincial were leading for opening 30 minutes. Injuries to Devlin, Penne-Kafoa and Glamuzina in opening half turned momentum countries way.
Great effort from all players

So who would have been your best 3 from BRumbies Provincial on the day

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
So who would have been your best 3 from BRumbies Provincial on the day

Everyone, bench players were impressive mate. To select a 3,2,1 in my opinion, would be as follows.
1. Stu Dyer. Kicked well, passed well, pushed the forwards into the right part of the field and unleashed the backline when it was on.
2. Simon Vunilagi. As good as any forward on the ground. Took it to the country backrow with and without the ball. Lineout wins, scrum base runs and 80 very impressive minutes.
3. Now Rabici. Everything Noa did was massive. Belted them in defence, carried with purpose, both into contact and into space. Very sound in the midfield. Took game on when ACT Provincial needed a go forward. Massive wraps from country coaches and brumbies reps after the match.

Notable mentions: Josef Glamuzina was outstanding but only played 40 minutes, ankle injury. James Devlin sped the game up and kicked very well until he had his head taken off only played 30 minutes. Andy Goslett off the bench was very mobile and active in the breakdown.

Country very sharp on attack. Probably a closer game than the score line shows.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Good effort considering the zones that the two teams are drawn from and the amount of time the teams spent together with training - NSW Country beat NSW Subbies last week by 40 odd. Hopefully some players will be selected for the Griffons again this year - not sure what games they are playing if any???

Hope the injuries were not too bad.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Nine Preview:
SIRU Rugby kicks off again this weekend after having two weeks off, while most players will be rejuvenated by the break, there may be some bruised bodies for those players who made Brumbies Provincial. I for one am glad to get back into it again this weekend, it’ll be good to get the focus back on the rugby rather than non-rugby topics, although I am enjoying seeing the B&I Lions squirm in NZ but this Saturday is the real test for both teams isn’t it. Who are the Wallabies?

Leeton (1) v Ag College (5)
This could be a danger game for the Phantoms, coming off two weeks of tough footy for a large number of their players in the rep team & Brumbies Provincial – will this be an advantage for them and keep them sharp or will they be fatigued by this extra effort?

There’s no doubt that the Phantoms deserve to dominate the SIRU Rep Team, they are leading from the front on the ladder and have swept all before them this season with their phlash brand of rugby, throwing the ball around at will with some amazing passes hitting the mark. From what I have seen of Leeton this season, their support play is one area they are really getting right, they always seem to have running options available to take the pass from the ball carrier and this is going to be hard to stop for Aggies again this week.

Aggies are reportedly a few short for this and will be struggling to cover the hard working Mike “Magic” Van Diggelen who is a key player for them in their back row and their cause isn’t helped by Ben Brooke being out also. Aggies Captain Tom Macleay will want his team to rip the Phantoms apart like a pair of paper undies in this one.

Griffith (8) v Albury (6)
A long road trip for the Steamers here but should be a good bus trip for them in the MIA, this should be a pretty evenly matched game, although I’m sure the Blacks will be itching to get their first win for the season chalked up in Round 9.

Griffith will be ripping the sheds apart before taking the field this week, they’ve been so close but so far in a number of games this year. After playing strongly against Leeton in the first half of the comp I thought they showed the character to bag some strong wins but they just haven’t strung enough consistent performances together to date this season to warrant a win. Will this week change that?

The Steamers will be just as keen as the Blacks to bag a win here and shouldn’t be taken lightly at all in this game, they’re only 4 competition points away from 3rd place on the ladder and will definitely have their game faces on for this match. Competition points here could change the finals make up without question.

CSU (7) v City (4)
This should be an interesting game here for both teams this week as City cling on to 4th position on the ladder, tied on points with Aggies and with Albury breathing down their necks. Reddies are only 4 points shy of 4th position and could really provide some headaches as we start number crunching for the finals series.

Just last round, Reddies recorded their 2nd win of the season (back to back too) and will no doubt be buoyed by this result coming in to this match. Not a traditional footy team by any stretch of the imagination, they definitely play for the full 80mins and are well lead by Captain Mitch Fealy. Expect a big crowd at Beres Ellwood as the Reddies look to make it a hat trick this week. What are the chances? No wins in almost two seasons and now the possibility of three in a row? Someone run that through the abacus please.

Positive attitude will be important for Wagga City against a spirited Reddies outfit as they can lose their way a little as the match wears on. Both teams can tend to fall into this trap of playing to the opposition instead of playing their own brand of footy, will this game be a case of last man standing?

Playing positively to their strengths will be a key point for Reddies as they are not the strongest forward pack but do have the ability to unsettle teams in this regard. It will be interesting to see how this game pans out with City’s traditionally strong forward pack and fast backline up against Reddies agile forwards and opportunistic backs.

Waratahs (2) v Tumut (3) – Match of the Round
Waratahs are just shy of Leeton at this stage of the competition and with the Bulls 14 points back in 3rd position, this game is arguably more important for Tumut than Waratahs, but don’t tell Waratahs that.

My local snouts keep telling me that the Bulls are the dark horses of the 2017 competition and this is their moment to step out into the strong glare of the spotlight this week. If the Bulls are a serious threat to the competition heavyweights, they need to start their ascent by taking maximum competition points here – remember City and Aggies are only 3 points behind them and Albury only 1 point back again – this game matters.

Pretty evenly matched across the forwards, the Bulls will look to make maximum impact through their back row where they probably have the edge. Waratahs #8 Sean Kearns is not named in the team and will be tough to replace, tough as teak, Kearns has been a strong leader for Waratahs and will be sorely missed. The front rows are on par, plenty of experience with James Daly and Tim Graham knowing all the dark arts of the propping world, the second row (where the real work is done) is also even stevens.

I’d give Waratahs an edge in the backs but you have to weigh that up in some instances, Tom Hallam is a young energetic halfback but is up against Andy Graham who might be a bit slower but has the edge in terms of experience. Harrison Friswell and Ooon Bonner are both handy 10’s and arguably cancel each other out, Waratahs have the Bulls measure through the middle with a strong combination in Corcorn and Chigwidden, there’s some pace on either sting and watching the impact the fullbacks make will be interesting. All in all, a good contest across the park.

Over the years, these clubs have put on some great displays for the crowd and both teams definitely love the contact situation and show how to play the game with aggression but good spirits, this match should be a cracker!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Nine Scores:
Albury 57 bt Griffith 14
Leeton 65 bt Ag College 10
Waratahs 38 bt Tumut 33
City 57 bt CSU 19

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Leeton hosting Waratahs this Saturday should be a beauty.
I'm leaning towards Leeton - Home Ground advantage will be a big plus and some of the injured Leeton players that were rested last Saturday should return for the big Top of the Table clash

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Ten Preview:
Plenty to play for this round and while the top of the table clash between Leeton and Waratahs is a stand out match at the top of the tree, there are some important games across the board this week. Looking at the ladder, there is bugger all separating 3rd through 6th at this point and arguably even 7th position could cause some problems for the other clubs. 5 competition points from 3rd to 6th is amazing after 9 rounds of footy and I think really indicates how close the competition is this season.

City (3) v Griffith (8)
This match was a cracker at Jubilee Oval in Round Three where the Blacks showcased their attacking prowess, running in 3 converted tries late in the game to lose by 7 points. After this effort, the Blacks went on to push the Phantoms under lights at Exies Oval and there appeared to be some genuine potential for them to really warm up and compete for the remainder of the competition. Sadly, it appears that their wheels have fallen off to date though.

Wagga City have also come back to the pack a bit and are now in a position where they could find themselves sliding even further down the ladder if they don’t bag a win in this one. The City men have a strong forward pack and are probably buoyed by the return of James Curgenven to the fold, however I’m sure there will be questions asked about his eligibility for the finals. This potentially creates a headache for the City Men as their coaching staff need to gamble on whether James will be eligible for the finals in 2017? There’s no doubt that James is a quality footballer, he’s a decent bloke and just the type of person the club needs to steady the ship in key moments, but will he be eligible for finals?

Tumut (4) v CSU (7)
My pundits keep telling me that the Bulls will be there when the whips are cracking and it appears there may be some merit in this advice. One local punter even offered a view recently that Tumut weren’t playing badly for a team that needed to work on their fitness J and from all reports, the Bulls are piecing things together pretty well.

I wouldn’t expect an easy game for either team this weekend, the Bulls particularly are in the same boat as Wagga City and could find themselves in trouble if they lose to Reddies in this match. CSU have the ability to match it with teams for parts of the game and are well capable of scoring points, particularly when counterattacking. Looking at the team lists on the SIRU website, it’s fair to say that the Bulls probably have the edge through the forwards but the backs could get interesting. Watch out for Joe Reynolds match up with Ben Hickey and Harrison Friswell vs Mitch Fealy.

Leeton (1) v Waratahs (2) – Match of the Round
How to beat the Leeton Phantoms? A book by the famous Scottish philosopher Angus MacLeod. It won’t be easy for any team I reckon, they’re a pretty tough team, they punish mistakes with tries (close to posts for an easy conversion), they tackle strongly, they’re dynamic over the ball and boy are they quick! First up tackles need to be a priority for any team playing Leeton, their ability to generate phases and create mismatches very quickly is pretty impressive and contributes to line breaks that generally result in points scored.

This match is an easy pick for MOTR and important for both clubs as this match will likely decide who hosts in Round Two of the Finals, arguably giving them an edge in that space and the home ground advantage on GF Day. This will be a big game and while these clubs will likely finish top two regardless of the result, they’re both keen to play at home in Week Two of the Finals and also on GF Day.

Waratahs definitely play a traditional style in comparison to the Phantoms but are blessed with some handy footballers across the park – while they may not be the flashest side around, they know how to get the job done. Looking at match ups across the board, there are some really handy contests in this game, Veriti Tupou vs Tom Hallam, Simon Vunilagi vs Dave Armstrong, Joe Kafoa-Penne vs Austin Wallace are all going to be tough opponents, but for me, this game is about how Waratahs handle the Phantoms backs.

Jimmy Moore to Noa Rabici to Joe Ratu to Siti Watkins – these players are difficult to contain and I recall a statistic recently from the Seven’s circuit where the Fijian Sevens team needed possession for 34secs to score points in comparison to the Australian Sevens team who needed closer to 2mins with ball in hand before they could score. While I appreciate we aren’t playing international sevens in this part of the world, the Phantoms do tend to make you pay when they get a chance whereas their opposition need a lot more time to build pressure in order to score. Of the Phantom’s games that I’ve seen this season, I get the feeling that teams can match the Phantoms in some areas and that a lot of teams have the ability to pressure the Phantoms, but that one mistake they make gets turned into 7 points at the other end of the park pretty quickly.

With hosting rights on the line for the 2017 finals series and a knock on effect there for the GF, there is heaps to play for in this one!

Ag College (6) v Albury (5)
Can the Steamers manage another ambush this weekend? How did the Steamers get past the Blacks last week with only 25 players for the day? Uni holidays are on and if I was Coach Mitchell, with a few key players out and not many troops to call on, I’d be pretty nervous about this game.

My crystal ball tells me that these teams are at a bit of a tipping point at this stage of the season and that this game could become pretty important for both sides, particularly considering their current ladder positions and opposition over the remaining weeks of the competition. Looking across the starting roster for both teams, they appear pretty even to be honest, watch out for the rampaging Duncan Woods vs Roussow Visser – two lads who love a Chief/Spud style hitup, upright running, flowing locks bouncing… great stuff.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good Summary Sam,
Leeton have so much to play for on their home ground today I reckon they'll get the biscuits.
City in a canter over Griffith, Tumut to eventually overcome CSU whilst I reckon its a bit of a toss up at the Uni between the Aggies & the Steamers

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 10 scores -
Leeton 57 d Warstahs 27,
Albury 41 d Wagga Ag 31,
Tumut 63 d CSU 10 ,
City 90 d Griffith 17

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
after those results the Minor premiership is in the bag for Leeton and with that Week 2 of the Finals will be played at Leeton on Aug 12

Can anyone beat the Phantoms ?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think that pretty much sorts out the finals situation, Griffith and the Uni teams to start planning for next year.

According to Angus McLoud the Phantoms are now playing more structured rugby with the ability to adlib which will be very hard to beat. Their scrum even pushed the Tahs around a bit on the weekend.

Not sure what is going on at Griffith but I've heard there is a major rift between the committee and some players - especially those in 2nd grade who are refusing to play 1st grade. Results would indicate that to be the case.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
VALE Luxton "Soapie" Walker, one for those older members of the forum. Soapie passed away overnight.

Soapie was my first coach at grade level and was just a great guy. A tough bastard who genuinely enjoyed seeing good, hard rugby with a focus on doing the basics right. He had a great sense of humour, he had some great quotes and was well respected across the zone.

My thoughts are with Soapie's family at this sad time.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I really look forward to reading Sam's form guide on Friday evenings. I think Albury might surprise City, Leeton just over CSU, Aggies to push Tahs and Griffith in an upset over Tumut. Come back Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.