• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Thirteen Preview:

Griffith (8) v Waratahs (2)
Life doesn’t get any easier for the Blacks this weekend, but on a positive note, they are back at home which should help their cause a lttle. My scouts tell me that Waratahs looked like they were going through the motions a bit last week against Reddies and that they didn’t really get into any rhythm during the game. If I was coaching the Waratahs, this would be a worry for me but full credit to the Reddies who do have a style that can be difficult to play against. Griffith will be looking for a big game from their leading try-scorer Dan McGreal. McGreal scored a barn-storming try last week from the base of the scrum, brushing away a number of would-be tacklers before crashing over the tryline to score his team’s most spectacular try of the day.

The Blacks have forfeited their 2nd Grade match this weekend, credit to the club to have made this difficult decision with a view to fielding their best XV for 1st Grade. Obviously a way to go for them as a club but a step in the right direction in my view.

Ag College (6) v CSU (7)
On-campus bragging rights are on the line here this week but this game is an important one for Aggies to be any chance of playing finals (and they need a bonus point to boot [and Albury to lose both their remaining games {and for Albury to not pick up any points in the next two rounds}]).

Reddies are an improving team in 2017, they aren’t climbing the ladder as such, but they do have some strong foundations there for the 2018 season and I’m sure nothing would please them any more than to kill Aggies season this weekend. CSU are well-lead by Mitch Fealy who controls their style well and is the level head they need at times. His match up against Cam Duffy at 5/8 could go a long way to deciding this game. One thing that Reddies have done very well for a number of years now is develop an ability to control games. No matter who they are playing against, they always manage to frustrate teams and play things their way. I wonder if Aggies are able to get past that ability this week?

Albury (5) v Leeton (1)
The Steamers will be happy to be at home for this match and will likely be hoping for some cold and blustery conditions here. Albury have been well served by Roussow Visser this season who is developing into a pretty handy player, showing some strong carries and tough defence week in and week out. He’ll need to be on his game this weekend and watching him take on Simon Vunilagi will be a highlight for this game.

City (3) v Tumut (4) – Match of the Round
A lay down misere for MOTR this week and potentially a preview for the finals also in this match, both teams are desperate to get the W on the board from this one as it will give them a second bite of the cherry come finals time.

Two big forward packs will duke it out with each other here with plenty of experience right through the pack. Some young blood in there mixed with some older campaigners also. Set pieces should be a highlight for the day as both teams really pride themselves on this aspect of the game. Key match ups here will be Dan Dowson vs Monson Tuvale – two big boppers who love hitting the ball up. Also watch out for Joe Ioane for the Bulls who is proving to be pretty hard to stop, particularly at close range – very much in the mould of one James “House” Kora from the Steamers. The Bulls will also be pretty stoked to have Menzies Seumanutafa back on the paddock this week.

The two 5/8’s will have a big impact on this game, potentially the Bulls have an edge here purely based on consistency in their halves partnership. Jayden Stanton vs Harrison Friswell are two younger footballers but both pretty strong defenders and crafty ball runners to boot. Their ability to direct traffic and control the game is going to be really important here. Playing behind big forward packs has some advantages in terms of clean ball but you’ve also got to know when to give those big blokes a breather, maybe some well-timed kicks to turn their opposition around will be on the cards here? Young Drew Martin is showing that he’s got the ability to make 1st Grade his own and could become a strong long term option for the Lollies in this capacity, how will he go against his more mature opponent Andy Graham?

Did I read somewhere earlier in the week that James Curgenven was injured? I hope not, he’s a good bloke and Wagga City will be sweating on his fitness for this game. If he’s available, watch out for his match up against Josef Glamuzina, these two guys are both classy full backs and if they get enough ball, they can really provide some strong inroads for their teams.

Conditions are set to be pretty ordinary on Saturday – cold and wet but this match is important for both teams and I’m keen to see how this one pans out. There’s bugger all between these guys in terms of points differential, they’re tied on competition points and this match should be a deadest corker!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting to read that there is "no Match' between Griffith & waratahs in 2nd Grade Tomorrow ? I wonder what is going on there
Winners Tomorrow - City, Aggies, Leeton & Waratahs & Deni to beat Hay in 3rds

Apparently quite a few of the Griffith 2nd Grade players this year haven't made themselves available to help out 1st Grade which is disappointing to hear.
Women's match being played today at Jubilee park at 1.20pm & 1st Grade kicks off at 2.00pm
I wonder how many Grades the Blacks will take to Wagga next Saturday to play CSU ??

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 13 scores -
City 30 d Tumut 24,
Wagga Ag 29 d CSU 19,
Leeton 59 d Albury 20,
Waratahs 41 d Griffith 32

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The first opportunity to see Leeton play yesterday. They are definitely the entertainers. The Steamers stuck with them for the first half, and I suspect that the brains trust there will believe they could match them for longer with a bit more intent. As for the Phantoms, on one hand you hope they do go through with the perfect season and on the other you want to see a competitive final series. Beating them will be all about first up tackles and fitness. Tick those two boxes and any team will be a chance.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Happy, only 1st grade and our girls teams will travel to Beres Ellwood Oval next Saturday to oppose CSU. No Sam we won't need to borrow any Reddies players. It looked to me that Waratahs got a real shock last week and CSU might be well advised to expect a similar performance this week.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
So I assume this means Griffith are forfeiting reserve grade finals too then???
Or is their first grade going to play in the reserve grade finals...
I think their first grade has been playing reserves all year, they would probably be pushing for a finals berth if they had been playing firsts all season.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

Good point Jock, it's an interesting predicament that the Blacks find themselves in now.

The question isn't about player eligibility is it (although I'm sure that will present some headaches), the question is about team eligibility.

I'd be surprised if many 1st Graders have been playing 2nds. My understanding isn't that the Blacks are having issues with players backing up, but more that they are almost operating as two separate clubs - 1st and 2nd Grade.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)

Tend to Agree Jock. Forfeiting the last 2 competition games then turning out in the finals with a strong side is a situation i assume SIRU aren't looking forward to dealing with...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't understand what questions exist Sam about team eligibility?

It's been a while since I've read them, but IIRC, there are some words in the SIRU By-Laws about forfeits . Might be worth a read if the Blacks are serious about not taking two grades to Wagga this weekend mate.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Just from having a look at the Brumbies by laws it looks as though a team has to have 3 forfeits before it has to leave a competition. Counting next week that would only be 2 for the Blacks 2nd grade so we should be safe. Even after next week by my reckoning we should still finish 3rd.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A quick call to MM will sort it out, but my understanding last year was that if 2nd grade forfeits then 1st grade MAY get docked competition points.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Just from having a look at the Brumbies by laws it looks as though a team has to have 3 forfeits before it has to leave a competition. Counting next week that would only be 2 for the Blacks 2nd grade so we should be safe. Even after next week by my reckoning we should still finish 3rd.

Don't think the Phantoms can pick up a single point against Wagga City Paul? Only need 1 and they have more bonus points than everyone else in 2nd grade.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm not sure about the bonus point situation Bandar. I was only thinking that Blacks would finish 1 win ahead of Leeton. You know what you're talking about and I really don't. It is pretty obvious that Blacks probably would have beaten CSU in 2nd grade so obviously not only wont we be getting the win points but we'll be missing out on any accruing bonus points as well. I also feel sorry for the guys in CSU 2nds in not getting their last game of the season, Bandar. A home game as well.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Brumbies by-laws aren't relevant as far as I am aware Paul. SIRU does have a set of By-Laws, I reckon it'd be worth your Presdient's time to have a yarn to SIRU.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Are City any chance against Leeton this Saturday ? - I don't think they can Win but a bonus point (more likely for scoring 4 tries than getting within 7 points of the Phantoms) would come in handy.
All matches have a bearing on the Finals this Saturday - except Griffith & CSU which isn't too bad for the end of the Home & Away Rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.