• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
VALE Luxton "Soapie" Walker, one for those older members of the forum. Soapie passed away overnight.

Soapie was my first coach at grade level and was just a great guy. A tough bastard who genuinely enjoyed seeing good, hard rugby with a focus on doing the basics right. He had a great sense of humour, he had some great quotes and was well respected across the zone.

My thoughts are with Soapie's family at this sad time.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nuttas-team-talk-to-the-wallabies/

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
[quote="Whistle Happy, post: 950931, member: 18650"]I think poor old PB must have fallen asleep on the Keyboard ??

also, Leeton just over CSU ?? - what just over 50,60 etc

Go to the SIRU Website if you need to see a Preview of Tomorrow's match

www.southerninlandru.com[/quote]

Or, he really likes my previews? Sorry guys, not enough hours in the week this week.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I do enjoy your previews Sam, but not enough to post that fact six times. Trouble with my computer. And Happy the Leeton/CSU game is in Wagga. CSU are an improving young side with nothing to lose. Leeton had their game of the season last week. They might relax a little this week. I reckon it won't be a repeat of their first clash. I expect the scoreline this time to be much more respectable. I suppose I hope it is anyway.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 11 scores -
City 29 d Albury 5,
Waratahs 61 d Wagga Ag 24,
Tumut 64 d Griffith 0,
Leeton 65 d CSU 12

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looks like we finally have a Top 5 for the Finals
Leeton, Waratahs, City, Tumut & Albury will have the honours
Can't see Ag College making the finals now
Week 1 Finals shapes up as Waratahs v City or Tumut & City or Tumut v Albury in an elimination Final
City are the ones hitting form at the right end of the season and I reckon are favourites to play Leeton in the GF this year

Jock Mason

Bob McCowan (2)
City are the ones hitting form at the right end of the season and I reckon are favourites to play Leeton in the GF this year[/quote]

Tell me, If City couldn't get within 10 points or even 20 points, of Tahs only a few weeks ago while Tahs had 6-7 out and Tahs are in 2nd place how does that make City favourites to face Leeton???

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
it's a gut feeling- they came from 5th last year and very nearly won the GF
They have a very strong forward pack and some handy backs who have had GF experience- forget what happened against Waratahs and earlirer results in the season they are on the climb
If I'm wrong so be it although I wasn't aware of the knee injury to their half back which may put him out for the season.(that would make City's job a lot harder)
tumut could be a smokey but their results in the last 2 years of Finals have a lot of Question marks over them
I don;t care who plays in the GF or wins it I just hope Leeton get some tough games in the Finals

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I had an attempt at tipping last week albeit a touch unsuccessfully. I think the upset of the round will come from Aggies surprising City. The Uni teams will be strengthened after the holiday break but I still can't imagine CSU troubling Waratahs to any great degree. The Steamers may be a little too strong for Tumut and the cricket score people are predicting in the Phantoms/Blacks game won't eventuate.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Twelve Preview:
It’s hard to tip a MOTR this week, for me, it’s either Ag/City or Tumut/Albury as the MOTR or are they as important as each other as both matches will have impacts on the final positions of all four of these clubs. Any slip ups by either City or Tumut at this stage of the season could be costly for them.

Leeton (1) v Griffith (8)
Will we see a similar match to the one that we saw in the first half of the competition? I know I keep saying it, but the Blacks showed so much promise in that game and they just haven’t gone on with it. Can they step up against the Phantoms here?

Leeton rotated some key players last week agains the Reddies and I can see the logic in doing so. Get some running into the legs of some key players and work on some combinations in others. Will they take the same approach into this game?

Waratahs (2) v CSU (7)
Reddies never laid down against Leeton last week and need to string together another committed performance this weekend. The Reddies have improved their scrum this season and are beginning to gel a bit more as a team in the later stages of the competition.

Waratahs seem to be a bit wobbly at the moment and will be keen to see some familiar faces back in the starting lineup after their bible study safaris are now over. It’s time for these guys to knuckle down if they’re going to be serious contenders for the finals.

Ag College (6) v City (3)
Aggies sponsor this weekend will be “abacus r us”, Coach Mitchell will have been working his into the ground this week and from all reports, Aggies are a mathematical chance of making the finals in 2017. Will it happen though? No idea, but a win this weekend will surely be a positive.

Wagga City appear to be hitting their straps at the right time of the season and I’d be confident that this has a lot to do with the return of Tumut’s very own James Curgenven. The team will have been rocked this week by a judiciary suspension but more importantly, Stu Dyer out with a gammy knee will be a blow. City did play without Dyer in the GF last year (maybe even the week prior also?), so they do have some depth in this position and they are in the positive position of having a more experienced team than in previous years.

It’ll be interesting to see how the forwards battle plays out in this game as the City men really pride themselves on their set piece and Aggies are happy to hold their own while they play a more expansive game.

Tumut (4) v Albury (5)
The Bulls will no doubt be out to show the competition that they can best the Steamers here as we head into the final rounds of the competition. A bonus point loss earlier in the year was all they could muster at Murrayfield and a repeat of that result will hurt the Bulls. (The Steamers could actually end up on the same competition points as the Bulls with a Bonus Point Win here but would need to deny the Bulls any Bonus Points in doing so).

A key match up in this game will be Josef Glamuzina vs James Devlin at fullback as both these players can really split a team apart. Glamuzina has been a revelation for the Bulls along with Friswell at 5/8, they seem to have covered the loss of Tino Manualevo pretty well actually.

This game will be decided by the work rate of the forwards for me. Both teams have got some handy operators through their backlines and it’s going to be important for their forward packs to set a strong platform for them to play from. Cold conditions won’t worry either team tomorrow and while the traditional 10 man style is probably comfortable for these teams, they both need to score maximum points in this game.

Sorry for the brief preview folks, still not enough hours in the week!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looks a pretty straight forward Round today in SIRU
Waratahs, City & Leeton will get the job done easily but Tumut may need the full 80 minutes to put away the Steamers
If all goes as expected Today that means City v Tumut next saturday looms as a very big clash at Conolly.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 12 scores -
Tumut 55 d Albury 31,
Leeton 144 d Griffith 8,
Waratahs 36 d CSU 14,
City 39 d Wagga Ag 19

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Griffith's score is extremely disappointing
I would love to hear PB's honest opinion of what is going on at the Blacks and what does their future look like ?
Somebody told me Griffith WON 2nd Grade yesterday ? - Do I presume only 15 to 17 players turned up yesterday for a match at Leeton ?
What is going On

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Played in a couple of games when 100+ was put on the opposition but it really doesn't do anything for either club or the sport in general and especially not in an eight team competition. Over many years Griffith have been the force of the western portion of the zone and to walk away from Griffith with one or more wins was a good measurement of your clubs depth and player strength. I sincerely hope they can correct their current situation as they ,like everyone else, face a huge amount of competition from soccer, mungo & aussie rules in close proximity.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
agree with your thoughts but what has happened to a Club that won the comp in 2014 in style.
All Rugby Union Clubs face challenges from the other Codes - ask Tumut, Albury, Cootamundra & Temora
This is a ridiculous score against Leeton yesterday and the club should be ashamed of themselves within the Griffith Sporting Community
A score like that obviously suggests that nobody cares and is an embarrassment to the Griffith Blacks jersey
It will be interesting to hear what the Coach & Committee tell everybody what the reason is for the off the cliff decline of the Club
I hope they don;t say our 2nds are doing well and are looking at winning the Reserves Comp this year - Who Cares !!!!
The honest truth will help Griffith rebuild not just excuse after excuse
The SIRU Comp needs Griffith to be competitive in the future

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Already this year Leeton have beaten CSU 92 - 0 and Albury 107 - 0. Any comments about disrespect for the jersey there? Our 2nds are coming 3rd while CSU and Albury 2nds are coming 2nd last and last respectively. Any talk of shame to their sporting community. Not likely. Our juniors are strong, much stronger than Wagga. In the recent U18 National Championships we had a past Griffith junior in each of the Vic, ACT and NSW teams. A local boy was picked in the Aust Schoolboys Barbarian team - he plays 2nds for us now. It's obvious we have a problem at the moment. Why do the Coach and Committee have to tell anybody anything? We have fulfilled our commitments and the season is almost over. Obviously some soul searching will be done in the off season and the teams will be back next season.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It was 144-8 (22 Tries and 17 Conversions)and it was Griffith playing a local derby
Apparently albury travelled to Leeton with 17 players for 2 Grades when they got smashed earlier in the year
Can you find out how many players Griffith had for 1sts & 2nds on Saturday against the Phantoms
Griffith have always had good juniors but they obviously aren't ending in in 1st Grade at Griffith !! - Why - is it Group 20 paying too much money
Is it the coaching , is it the Culture at the Club
Fulfilling your playing committments is one thing but to do what looks like a Bernard Tomic and 'Tank' matches is another thing
Maybe they should enter their 1st Grade in the McMullen Cup Comp next year ??
The Teams might be back next season but the Club's reputation and standing in the Competition has taken a severe beating
I don't know if you have a job on the Commitee PB but it might be time to give them a hand

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Happy, it doesn't sound as though Albury have much of a club culture bringing just 17 players to Leeton for 2 grades does it? Griffith did have quite a few more than that. We tried to close the age gap between our juniors and seniors by pushing for a 16s age group. Us and Temora were the only clubs to enter teams. A city of Wagga's size couldn't get a team. Our coach is a capable coach. Our 1sts team on Saturday had some 1st grade quality players and some who would have been more than happy playing 2nds or 3rds. The team didn't tank - they tried their hearts out. I really don't think Happy that we (Griffith) are going to be defined by that game or even this season. My opinion Happy, and I stress this is just my opinion, is that the club has a culture problem that has come to a head. It has nothing to do with the present coach who is a good guy and a more than capable coach. The problem is a long term one relating to training, travel and selections. I am not a c'ttee member Happy and this is just my opinion.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting to read that there is "no Match' between Griffith & waratahs in 2nd Grade Tomorrow ? I wonder what is going on there
Winners Tomorrow - City, Aggies, Leeton & Waratahs & Deni to beat Hay in 3rds

Status
Not open for further replies.