• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Fourteen Preview:
It’s the final countdown…… <insert 80’s synth guitar riff, complete with Oakley Frogskins, permed mullet and fluro headband here>

This week’s MOTR has been picked solely based on finals makeup. The Leeton v City game is shaping to be a cracker of a game and should give us a strong insight into how the finals might look, but Tumut v Ag just has too much bearing on the final ladder positions to be ignored.

Plenty of options across the board this weekend and each game has a number of nuances to them, some with more impact than others but each game definitely has a level of intrigue this weekend.

CSU (7) v Griffith (8)
To the naked eye, this game might look like a dead rubber, but these clubs have a strong history with each other and will make a good showing in this game. Griffith are only coming to Wagga with one grade which is a shame, but I’m confident that they’ll be keen as mustard to bag their only win for the season and likely even consider themselves a strong chance of knocking Reddies off.

Reddies are playing some decent footy at the moment, plenty of passion for each other and in my view, if they were able to muster some tall timber they have the makings of a handy footy team. Pace isn’t an issue for them, fitness might be and depth is hurting them, but their 1st XV are decent enough at the moment. They have a strong leader in Mitch Fealy, a handy 5/8 and a team that know their way around the park. It was good to see Dean Smart running round for them last weekend, hopefully he gets past a knee complaint to play out the season this weekend.

Waratahs (2) v Albury (5)
The Steamers will be out to pants Waratahs in this one I reckon, I get a feeling that Albury are gaining confidence towards the later stages of the competition and that Waratahs are looking vulnerable. There’s no doubt that Waratahs have got heaps of depth and all that jazz, but the Steamers look like they are building a pretty tight group of 25 or so players who are enjoying their time on the paddock and in my experience, that camaraderie can do amazing things.

Waratahs just haven’t looked settled over the past few weeks and I reckon Coach MacLeod would surely be frustrated by this. They’ve got plenty of talent in that group and will likely pull together over the coming weeks but they just appear a little off the boil from what I’ve seen. Hopefully they can string some consistency together and remain level-headed during the finals.

Key question – Can the Steamers bag a Bonus Point in this game? Are they capable of scoring four tries? Can they lose by 7 or less? Are they capable of both?

Leeton (1) v City (3)
Any other week, this match is a MOTR, 1 v 3 and a preview of what the Grand Final could look like on 26th August. If I was Wagga City, I’m not sure how I would approach this game to be honest. Do you run with the mentality that this is a GF preview (potentially even the location) and prepare for it like it’s your last game? Or do you consider this is a taster for what’s to come, an opportunity to assess your opposition, maybe even fox them a bit, tease out some weaknesses to exploit later in the season? I see value and risk in both strategies. Either way, the spotlight will be on this game, particularly in regards to how each team plays the game, maybe not so focused on the result?

From the Phantoms point of view, they know what they’re up to next weekend but they’ll be keen for a competitive game I reckon. They haven’t been tested in recent weeks and having a week off next week is probably not going to do them any favours in preparing for the finals. This game is a great opportunity to test themselves and really let loose, or they can look at this game as a chance to work on a few combinations and put the finishing touches on a pretty impressive season.

Key question – Can the Boiled Lollies bag a bonus point here? They can definitely score points and tries will be important to them tomorrow, conditions are set to be fantastic for tomorrow and should present them with a great chance to score tries.

Tumut (4) v Ag College (6) – Match of the Round
This match just edges the Leeton v City blockbuster for MOTR as there are a number of outcomes that this game can influence. A win to Aggies could see Albury drop out of the finals series. A win to Tumut could see them leapfrog City into 3rd place. Plenty to play for fo’ sho’.

Another “Do or Die” game for Aggies here this week and potentially their last game of the season, no doubt they’re keen for a win. Desperate even? Tumut won convincingly back in Round 7 when these teams last met but Aggies will be hell-bent on reversing that result this weekend. Aggies have welcomed a number of players back to 1st Grade but are probably still yet to be at full strength. The Bulls are in a similar boat, still playing without the classy Jo Glamuzina at fullback, I guess they’re keeping him in cotton wool for the finals?

The Bulls have the edge in the tight five here without a doubt, bigger bodies and more experienced players but Aggies can counter that with enthusiasm and fitness from 1-15. Joe Ioane has been very difficult to stop this season and not just from close range either, I’m glad I don’t have to try to stop him moving! His opposite number this week though is the rampaging Duncan Woods who will probably inject himself a little wider than Joe but is just as hard to stop. Another match up in the forwards that is worth keeping an eye on is Ben Brooke vs Menzies Seumanutafa – two keen ball runners and while I’m at it, keep an eye out for Tom Macleay vs Will Reynolds. I notice on the SIRU website that Dan Dowson isn’t named? Anyone got mail on that? I’m looking at you Jock Mason and OldBull.

I’m keen to see how Harrison Friswell and Cam Duffy go at 5/8 this weekend. Two young footballers still learning a bit about their trade, Harrison seems to have settled into the role at Tumut as has Cam Duffy at Aggies, how will they lead their teams around the park this weekend? I also noticed that the evergreen Brad Gorman has been named to start on the sting for the Bulls, Gormo must have been blitzing them in hill sprints for this promotion? J On a serious note, Coen Potter & Hamish Pennington will both want to have their laser eyes in for goal kicking responsibilities, I think their accuracy in kicking (both goal kicking and general play) could be important tomorrow.

The weather is tipped to be deadest fantastic in the hills tomorrow and on a refurbished, fast track should provide the perfect platform for a great contest. Neither team will want to leave anything in the tank and I’m keen to see how they both end up after this match.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
An excellent preview as usual Sam. The key question for me is which Griffith turns up. I reckon the team to watch in 2018 will be CSU. Much to admire about the way they have stuck together through the tough times.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
An excellent preview as usual Sam.
Thanks Paul
I reckon the team to watch in 2018 will be CSU. Much to admire about the way they have stuck together through the tough times.

Agree entirely Paul.

In my view, the positivity and strong leadership displayed by their captain this season has been a key factor in their growth. Written off by many, I've seen a club that has stuck it out when it counted and played for each other. Similar to Albury, plenty to work on but heading in the right direction and enjoying their mates in the process.

Tomorrow will be an emotional day for both clubs and a fitting end to the season, regardless of result. A Griffith Junior, Ben was a tough bastard on the field and clearly a good bloke off it, gone too soon.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
correct me if I am wrong but Apenisa Driti - playing for Griffith tomorrow has been selected in the Aussie Schools barbarian Team later in the year
he has obviously got some talent

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
You're correct Sam. Ben was a lovely young man and he comes from a great family. That is correct about Apenisa Happy. He is only 17 this year. He went to Griffith North Public and now Griffith High. It's not easy to make those type of rep teams from rural government schools.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 14 Scores -
Wagga Ag 40 d Tumut 18,
Leeton 73 d City 5,
Waratahs 41 d Albury 21,
Griffith 41 d CSU 34

James Lewis

Bob McCowan (2)
How is it that Griffith are able to use 26 players in their First Grade game yesterday (they were even swapping jerseys because they did not have enough jerseys for all their reserves) and yet they were not prepared to field a Second Grade team again this week. Numerous clubs have travelled to Griffith this year with less players and fulfilled their obligations and fielded two teams. And yet, Griffith will now field their Second Grade team in the finals having forfeited two weeks in a row. How is this right?

James Lewis

Bob McCowan (2)
I would have thought that Curgenven's eligibility for the Finals would have been sorted out by now - Did City leave their request too late or is there something going on we don't know about
If Armstrong gets a clearance for Waratahs then Curgenven has to get one for City - seems pretty straightforward to me ?

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/4819985/cloud-still-hangs-over-curgenvens-finals-bid/?cs=149

Dave Armstrong was out for most of the season with an injury recovering from surgery - he there qualifies under specified exceptions in the rules. James Curgenven was playing professional Rugby League in Tumut - there is no exception in the rules for this (nor should there be!). If he gets approved it will make a mockery of the rules, it will set a dangerous precedent for future seasons and will upset many in the local Rugby community.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
#SIRU2017 Round 14 Scores -
Wagga Ag 40 d Tumut 18,
Leeton 73 d City 5,
Waratahs 41 d Albury 21,
Griffith 41 d CSU 34

So that means Waratahs v City & Tumut v Wagga Ag in the 1st Grade Finals next Saturday at Conolly
By the look of the Tumut v Aggies score it looks like the Bulls are on their way out of the Comp. pretty quickly and Aggies are coming good at the right time

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Based on the last 4 or 5 Grand Finals, I'm predicting a Leeton v Aggies decider. Leeton to win big in the qualifying final and Aggies to continue the run they started in Tumut. Over the last few years, there has been a runaway favourite and a smoky who has come from nowhere, ending in very exciting Grand Finals. I see no reason this year will be any different. A lot as has to go right for the Aggies to get there, but it's not impossible.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
City to bounce back against Waratahs this Saturday - Curgenven to kick the winning Penalty goal in extra time - now that would really hurt the 'Tahs !!

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would have thought that Curgenven's eligibility for the Finals would have been sorted out by now - Did City leave their request too late or is there something going on we don't know about
If Armstrong gets a clearance for Waratahs then Curgenven has to get one for City - seems pretty straightforward to me ?

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/4819985/cloud-still-hangs-over-curgenvens-finals-bid/?cs=149

On the night of Friday July 7th City arranged a friendly third grade game against CSU at Connolly. Neither team were playing on the Saturday. On closer inspection there may have been some ulterior motives to this game, namely to try and get Curgenven an extra game to aid eligibility.
If he is given the all clear to play in the finals the rule book may as well be destroyed as it is no longer followed.
If Curgenven played in this game should, a friendly third grade run around, count as a game that can be used towards eligibility?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Playing different grades on the one weekend does not count, only one match per weekend counts so still only the 6 matches for James Curgenven.

As I stated a while ago, he should not be able to play but I think he will be made eligible - he might be injured anyway for this weekend???

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If Curgenven played in this game should, a friendly third grade run around, count as a game that can be used towards eligibility?

Doesn't count as a game towards the eligibility rules.

The board certainly have an interesting situation on their hands don't they.

One could argue that James is a rugby man through and through, relocated from the UK, has played for City for many seasons, has set down roots in this part of the world, made himself eligible for SIRU and Brumbies Provincial and performed quite well at that level.

Do City have the ability to argue that he would have played more games for them if not for an injury sustained early in the year playing Loig? IIRC, James had some dramas with his knee earlier in the year?

Did he have a change of heart once he ran out on the Bull Paddock and realised that Conolly Park was where it's at?

If injury is the reason for Dave Armstrong, what's the difference between the two?

Precious

Frank Row (1)
Doesn't count as a game towards the eligibility rules.

The board certainly have an interesting situation on their hands don't they.

One could argue that James is a rugby man through and through, relocated from the UK, has played for City for many seasons, has set down roots in this part of the world, made himself eligible for SIRU and Brumbies Provincial and performed quite well at that level.

Do City have the ability to argue that he would have played more games for them if not for an injury sustained early in the year playing Loig? IIRC, James had some dramas with his knee earlier in the year?

Did he have a change of heart once he ran out on the Bull Paddock and realised that Conolly Park was where it's at?

If injury is the reason for Dave Armstrong, what's the difference between the two?

Precious

Frank Row (1)
'Players who participate in 2 or sometimes 3 grades in the one day (replacements and substitutes) are only counted as playing 1 match on that day in terms of the number of competition matches that have to be played to participate in finals.'
So when JC played on Friday night it wasn't on the same day?
Was it a competition match played for points in the McMullen cup?
No dispensation needed in my view.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
There's clearly some feeling out there in the rugby community about a number of issues that have been on the cards in the past few weeks (Griffith 2nds and Player Eligibility) and I'm confident that there will be a lot of passionate rugby supporters coming online over the coming weeks as we all look towards the pointy end of the season.

I'd like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the input of a number of new users to the SIRU neck of the GAGR woods. Hopefully you can all hang around the forums and continue to be positive contributors into the future - the more the merrier. :)

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I can see where Dave or James' eligibility is an arbitrary set of circumstances that needs to be decided upon but I don't see why Sam included the Griffith 2nds situation as a discussion point. Griffith 2nds are in the semis on Saturday and all of the players will be eligible to play. I wasn't at CSU on Saturday but is James L sure Griffith used 26 players - I mean is there any limit on the number of players that can be used - outside of a trial I've never heard of 11 reserve players being used in a game of rugby.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't see why Sam included the Griffith 2nds situation as a discussion point
Just something that folks are raising as I move around the grounds Paul, that's all. A quick review of the posts in the past page will show that there's clearly some feeling out there around this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.